What do I do now, Aunt with a problem.

Jetta

My friends babies is 2.5 months old and is 10 pounds. They have had many problems with the baby not taking to breast feeding and doing formula supplementing. They try very hard to get their baby to put weight on and get the baby to drink the milk etc. They are the best parents in the world but sometimes babies don't put on weight very quickly. Doesn't mean the parents are neglectful.

My baby is 3 months old and he still looks quite new bornish. I think that's quite normal.

"The 50th percentile is not a pass, it means that 50% of the normal population is below this line and 50% is above it.

If a baby's height or weight is 'off the chart' (above the 97th percentile or below the 3rd), there is a higher chance of something being wrong and it is wise to check with your medical adviser. In many cases though, all is well. Three in every 100 normal babies will weigh less than the 3rd percentile, often because both parents are small.

Does it matter if my baby doesn't 'stick' to a percentile line?

Usually, no.

Because the charts are derived from average weights, lengths etc, individual children shouldn't be expected to follow them exactly. They can and do grow faster or slower at times. One study found that only 12% of babies kept to the percentile line they were born on. Most babies cross percentile lines for both weight and length. After birth larger babies tend to grow more slowly (on average) and smaller ones faster. This is because birth size relates more to nutritional conditions in the womb than to genetics. After birth, babies gradually move to their genetically pre-programmed size and they can take from 6 months to 2 years to do this. After 2 years they then follow this line, more or less, though still with some variations.

When is low weight gain a problem?

Individual babies vary a lot and weight is only one factor in the 'whole picture' of a baby's health and development. Careful assessment of your baby's health is generally recommended if:

your baby continues to lose weight after the first 10 days of life and does not regain birth weight by 3 weeks

your baby gains at a rate below about 100 grams a week in the first 3 months

your baby's weight is less than the 3rd percentile

your baby's weight drops two percentile lines in 56 days (before the age of 5 months)"

Also don't forget a breast-fed baby gains weight differently than a formula fed baby.

"What is the 'normal' growth rate for babies?

The general guidelines that are usually given for growth are:

a baby loses 5-10% of birth weight in the first week and regains this by 2-3 weeks

birth weight is doubled by 4-6 months and tripled by 12 months

birth length increases 1.5 times in 12 months

birth head circumference increases by about 7.6 cm in 12 months.

However, all babies grow differently and these are just general guidelines. If you are concerned about your baby's growth, you can contact your medical adviser for a thorough assessment of your baby's general health and wellbeing."

Archived