How on earth do you guys go for job interview while having a job?

No way would I tell your current employer.

They can't possibly make you give 2-week notice for sick leave, right? Cities have declared flu emergencies. No one wants a sick person at work.

I also like the doctor's appointment. I would make it something impersonal like a dentist, maybe you need to get cavities filled or urgently get a crown put on, and your dentist doesn't have evening or early morning hours. Something like that.

As for contacting references, it often happens that they are interviewing someone with a job. You can ask them not to call if you have other strong refs. Otherwise they should just be able to call to verify employment status, nothing else.

Good luck!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha, how is it that you optimistic people always use the line "You never know."

Very true. We'll see what happens. I'm going to create a study guide for myself for insurance to review so I know what the heck I'm talking about and edit my resume and print them at work. Then send out my resume online on Wednesday night and see what happens.

You never know.........unless you try. Thats all you need to do because if you don't, you'll be stuck where you are and unhappy. Never settle fot what you have vs. what you could have. It may not happen right away, but it WILL happen. You just need to keep trying. You will kick yourself in the ars if you don't.

No way would I tell your current employer.

They can't possibly make you give 2-week notice for sick leave, right? Cities have declared flu emergencies. No one wants a sick person at work.

I also like the doctor's appointment. I would make it something impersonal like a dentist, maybe you need to get cavities filled or urgently get a crown put on, and your dentist doesn't have evening or early morning hours. Something like that.

I am in deep crap like I said.

LMAO, I am an Accounting Assistant at a Dental Corporation.

LOL Yes, New England has been called for a FLU.

As for contacting references, it often happens that they are interviewing someone with a job. You can ask them not to call if you have other strong refs. Otherwise they should just be able to call to verify employment status, nothing else.

Good luck!

I do have 1 strong reference with the law firm I worked for. But that was 3 years ago.

Financial Controller told me if I ever needed a reference, I could go to her. She knows how I work, and my work ethics is, and the career field I am interested in. But she works closely with the CEO'S wife and everyone else.

If the future employer calls to verify my employment status, then I am doomed for taking a personal day off.

Gosh, who knew integrity would be this tough.

You never know.........unless you try. Thats all you need to do because if you don't, you'll be stuck where you are and unhappy. Never settle fot what you have vs. what you could have. It may not happen right away, but it WILL happen. You just need to keep trying. You will kick yourself in the ars if you don't.

Yeah, I know.

It's just that the people I'm with is like family to me you know but at the same time I want something more of the field I want to get in.

If I tell the truth why I'm taking a day off, I could get terminated.

If I don't tell the truth, I could get hated for life and no more close friendships with my coworkers who are like mothers [45 and above] to me.

Yeah, I know.

It's just that the people I'm with is like family to me you know but at the same time I want something more of the field I want to get in.

If I tell the truth why I'm taking a day off, I could get terminated.

If I don't tell the truth, I could get hated for life and no more close friendships with my coworkers who are like mothers [45 and above] to me.

Are you sure you even want to change right now? It sounds like the workplace is great, relationship-wise, which seems to be uncommon these days.

I feel for you, I was in a similar position and realized how stupid of a system it is, companies these days give interview opportunities more and more yet the chances of succeeding and getting hired is less and less. They rather filter out 100 people through the interview than tell you from the start that you are probably not the person we are looking for which is so freaking annoying when you currently have a job and looking for a better one.

I suggest that before you agree to going to an interview make sure that you really want that job, that title and to work in that company so you won't be jumping ship again so frequently.

As for the interview itself, I found that informing the company you are applying for that you have difficulty going for an interview due to having a current job and that YOU need to give THEM a time then work it into your schedule i.e during lunch hour and take an extra 30min making an excuse is usually the best method as taking a sick day off is a terrible idea as you may end up going to several interviews and being "sick" that often will look bad in your record.

The company you are applying for WILL be understanding and accommodate that otherwise they probably think nothing of your C.V and just let you attend the interview "in case" no one better suited comes along and the chances you will be successful will be extremely low in that case.

Don't ever inform your employer you are thinking of leaving and need to take days off to go for interviews, if you weren't successful in finding any job you wanted you will still stay in your current company and your boss will see you as simply a contractor rather than a full time staff member, the way you are treated will never be the same again.

Before I got a job in I.T networking I was working as an Marine electrician, I told my new employer about me needing to work the interview time into my schedule and they were understanding of it, part of the reason why I got the job was probably because I gave the impression that I'm a busy person, I'm in demand, not always available and I won't take sick days etc... off for an interview at another company which shows a good sense of responsibility because who is going to cover my end while I'm "sick"?

Are you sure you even want to change right now? It sounds like the workplace is great, relationship-wise, which seems to be uncommon these days.

Yes, I am positive. There are unethical issues I have with the company. Also, as an Accounting Assistant does not help my career field I'm interested

I feel for you, I was in a similar position and realized how stupid of a system it is, companies these days give interview opportunities more and more yet the chances of succeeding and getting hired is less and less. They rather filter out 100 people through the interview than tell you from the start that you are probably not the person we are looking for which is so freaking annoying when you currently have a job and looking for a better one.

True, but being Accounting Assistant doesn't help the field I am interested in. Where as with this position will help me able to understand the career field I'll be pursuing in.

I suggest that before you agree to going to an interview make sure that you really want that job, that title and to work in that company so you won't be jumping ship again so frequently.

Oh I really do. It's the only one I am interested in out of the rest.

As for the interview itself, I found that informing the company you are applying for that you have difficulty going for an interview due to having a current job and that YOU need to give THEM a time then work it into your schedule i.e during lunch hour and take an extra 30min making an excuse is usually the best method as taking a sick day off is a terrible idea as you may end up going to several interviews and being "sick" that often will look bad in your record.

I probably will have to schedule at 5:30 PM for interview or have a Saturday interview if possible. Since it does take 30 minutes to get there and also there may be traffic. My lunch hour does not give me enough time to go for an interview and who knows if the interview will start once I get there.

The company you are applying for WILL be understanding and accommodate that otherwise they probably think nothing of your C.V and just let you attend the interview "in case" no one better suited comes along and the chances you will be successful will be extremely low in that case.

Interesting, I never thought of it like that. Hopefully my computer skills will be enough to impress them as a future field assistant.

Don't ever inform your employer you are thinking of leaving and need to take days off to go for interviews, if you weren't successful in finding any job you wanted you will still stay in your current company and your boss will see you as simply a contractor rather than a full time staff member, the way you are treated will never be the same again.

Unfortunately the company I work for is Termination at any time. There is no contract involved. So I am a full time Accounting Assistant can be replaced anytime.

Before I got a job in I.T networking I was working as an Marine electrician, I told my new employer about me needing to work the interview time into my schedule and they were understanding of it, part of the reason why I got the job was probably because I gave the impression that I'm a busy person, I'm in demand, not always available and I won't take sick days etc... off for an interview at another company which shows a good sense of responsibility because who is going to cover my end while I'm "sick"?

When you told me that, were they scheduling your time after work or was it during lunch time or was it on a Saturday?

Awesome advice "who is going to cover my end while I'm sick?" I never thought of that either. Gosh you opened my mind a lot more. I'm the only Accounting Assistant in both Billing and Accounting Department. Gosh I pray the future company will be accommodating after I sent my resume on Wednesday night.

Back at my company, we ended work earlier on Fridays (by an hour), the company I applied for originally told me to go in Wednesday morning, I told them that I have tight deadlines to fulfill and that I will be too busy to take a sick day etc... as there will be no one to cover my end of the work and that I would be available Friday afternoon. I basically took my 1 hour lunch break 1 hour before work ended, didn't eat lunch and left so I basically got an extra hour (work ends at 4pm on Fridays) minus 1 hour making it 3pm which worked like a charm.

Back at my company, we ended work earlier on Fridays (by an hour), the company I applied for originally told me to go in Wednesday morning, I told them that I have tight deadlines to fulfill and that I will be too busy to take a sick day etc... as there will be no one to cover my end of the work and that I would be available Friday afternoon. I basically took my 1 hour lunch break 1 hour before work ended, didn't eat lunch and left so I basically got an extra hour (work ends at 4pm on Fridays) minus 1 hour making it 3pm which worked like a charm.

Thanks for your story. It gives me an idea what to say when I am scheduled for an interview.

I know I won't be able to take an hour off of lunch.

Best of luck to you, the best interview advice I can give you is to think in reverse whenever you are at an interview.

Always try to think about why they asked you that question, what they are looking for, every question at an interview was designed since they only have basically an hour to decide whether or not you are the right person for that position. Or 2 hours including a follow up interview.

The smarter the interviewer the more unique and ambiguous the questions, I've been asked questions like if there was a fire and everyone was asked to vacate the premises, you have enough time to take/save one item, what would this item be? (The correct answer would be of course nothing as everything in the company should be insured and any data of value are backed up, putting yourself at risk would make you a liability to the company because they are responsible for your injuries, if you tried to save something that was your own then this is inappropriate behavior since you are putting the company at risk for having to compensate you if you were burnt and unable to work etc...).

Usually character questions are simple to deduce but they are incredibly important nevertheless, remember that attitude and your character plus ability to work in or lead a team, social ability, how well you can fit into the company culture, how well you can compromise and deal with others etc... are just as important if not more than your technical knowledge!

Technical questions, either you know it or not, it is those unique questions that put you off guard that really gets you!

I wanted to know the same thing 2 years ago especially when most companies have a 3 step hiring process. That means you have to keep taking off time to go on interviews. So that kind of destroys that statement i hear from so many people which is "it's easier to get a job when you already have one"

I think the only way to get another job if you already have one is having a strong enough network where a interview is not needed and you just start right away.

be sick or do it during lunch or after work, or say you have to leave early for an excercise class. or on the weeekend.

How can someone interview during their lunch hour when you factor in travel time and location of the other job?

I get that.

Let's just say there is a chance that I won't be able to get an interview on a Saturday.

How do I go about about the interview on a weekday which is my work day?

You would have to take a personal day but the other problem would be if the company has a long hiring process and requires 2 or more interviews. Then you would start to look suspicious because of the sudden time you need to use.

I agree it's rough

I wanted to know the same thing 2 years ago especially when most companies have a 3 step hiring process. That means you have to keep taking off time to go on interviews. So that kind of destroys that statement i hear from so many people which is "it's easier to get a job when you already have one"

I think the only way to get another job if you already have one is having a strong enough network where a interview is not needed and you just start right away.

It is hard to schedule interviews when you have a job. For me personally the last time I was looking for a job I was lucky in that my hours were flexible. I had deadlines and as long as I met them and did not miss any meetings, my boss generally didn't care about my whereabouts. So I was able to go on multiple rounds of interviews during working hours. That said, I think that most jobs have stricter requirements about actually being in the office for certain hours and yet people do find a way to do it. I'm not saying its easy, but it can be done. I think the saying that its easier to get a job when you already have one does ring true in the sense that employers find people more attractive when they are already employed.

I'm glad you mentioned networking and while that is key, networking doesn't often (in my experience, and from what I have seen around me) lead to job offers. It may lead to interviews and it may mean that your resume goes to the top of the pile but I think the same problem of having to schedule interviews presents itself.

When I mentioned networking I mean knowing someone well enough to get a job without a interview.

Ah, OK. That's not what I tend to think of when I hear the word "networking." Yes, this does happen, of course. I just think it's more likely that knowing someone will lead to an interview rather than an outright offer. I would guess that this varies by industry though. In any event, it's not the case that this is the only way to get a job when you already have a job. I agree that it can be really tough to schedule interviews while working, but the alternative (quitting and then searching) is, in my opinion, far less desirable for the individual and for prospective employers.

Ah, OK. That's not what I tend to think of when I hear the word "networking." Yes, this does happen, of course. I just think it's more likely that knowing someone will lead to an interview rather than an outright offer. I would guess that this varies by industry though. In any event, it's not the case that this is the only way to get a job when you already have a job. I agree that it can be really tough to schedule interviews while working, but the alternative (quitting and then searching) is, in my opinion, far less desirable for the individual and for prospective employers.

The one advantage that someone unemployed has over a employed person is flexibility to go on as many interviews in one day as possible

Then you tell them that you are currently working and need to adjust your schedule accordingly. I'm not the best for attendance because of this, which does go against the grain. But where I work you need a day notice to take a day off, so I give my current job notice, plan the interview for late in the day (since I work an early morning shift). Or plan early morning if you work a later shift, and take a few hours off.

Then you tell them that you are currently working and need to adjust your schedule accordingly. I'm not the best for attendance because of this, which does go against the grain. But where I work you need a day notice to take a day off, so I give my current job notice, plan the interview for late in the day (since I work an early morning shift). Or plan early morning if you work a later shift, and take a few hours off.

But the problem is you look suspicious which is why it's so challenging going on interviews when you are employed. It's so hard not to look like you are interviewing when you have to take one day off and then another one next week.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't try to get jobs that have 3-step interview processes while still working unless you have a really flexible job. There are enough out there that don't have 3 interviews, I would think.

You also could take your holidays and try to cram as many interviews into those two weeks as possible lol.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't try to get jobs that have 3-step interview processes while still working unless you have a really flexible job. There are enough out there that don't have 3 interviews, I would think.

You also could take your holidays and try to cram as many interviews into those two weeks as possible lol.

But what if you have been trying to get into this company since 2000 and already been rejected 2 times? LOL.

Archived