Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Looking to move somewhere/anywhere in the US. Any suggestions?

mendelpalace

So I work from home and I am single and financially comfortable. I currently live in Cowville population 1000 where it is over 60 miles to the nearest moderate size city. I want to move to a fairly big city. Doesn't have to be huge but definitely not a small town. I have no attachment to my hometown. And I wasn't the biggest fan of the college town I went to. I'm definitely looking for a decent cost of living but at the same time I want to be near the goings-on. I'm pretty secluded most of the time, and I'm definitely not an outdoors person but I'd like to be able to see concerts etc without driving a few hours etc. I'm a single 20-something so a decent dating scene would be nice to. I have a liberal geeky slant to if that makes a difference. So people of Enotalone, have any good suggestions on places in the US to potentially move?

I would suggest Tucson, Arizona as long as you don't have a problem with heat during the summer. It's dry heat, not humid, but it can get pretty toasty out there.

It's a great quirky city and one of their claims to fame is that they are the "live music capital." AWESOME food, absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous landscape, good schools, and though Arizona is a little backwards and conservative politically speaking, Tucson is actually one of the more liberal hot spots. It's a really neat, artsy town with lots of odd and interesting characters, and if you ever do decide that you like active/outdoorsy stuff, it's great for that too.

I would suggest Tucson, Arizona as long as you don't have a problem with heat during the summer. It's dry heat, not humid, but it can get pretty toasty out there.

It's a great quirky city and one of their claims to fame is that they are the "live music capital." AWESOME food, absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous landscape, good schools, and though Arizona is a little backwards and conservative politically speaking, Tucson is actually one of the more liberal hot spots. It's a really neat, artsy town with lots of odd and interesting characters, and if you ever do decide that you like active/outdoorsy stuff, it's great for that too.

Austin too.

Will your cost of business expenses change in another town. For example, if you have an online store, would you lose your contacts for merchandise or be farther away?

I would really look at the rents and cost of living and see where you can afford to be on your income. I would also visit areas you are thinking about before taking the dive to see what the rents are for the areas you desire. Also, is it important to be in a reasonable commute of extended family (ie, somewhere its cheap to get a plane ticket from because its a popular destination or within a three hour drive?)

I'm currently living in Washington D.C. And based on the preferences you've described, D.C. may just be exactly where you want to be. It's going to be a bit costly but the place has a lot to offer. Nearest big stadiums (Ravens, Redskins) are less than 30 miles away. If you follow hockey (Go Caps!) or basketball (Wizards), the stadiums are about 5-20 minutes on the metro depending on where you live. There are also a lot of famous venues in the area that are within 5-10 miles radius; all the bigtime artists come over here quite often. D.C. is also culturally and socially diverse, so you get a lot of different vibes around here depending on what area you are at - that is something I can appreciate living in a small place, e.i. U Street is a Victorian-Era, hipster neighborhood as compared to Georgetown, which is full of office buildings, swanky malls, and high-end evening scene. I don't even need a car living in D.C., everything's in one place altogether and also in walking distance. About the dating scene, the city is full of new young professionals and college grads that just crowd up here every year for jobs and internship. It's definite a young people place. You also get to live and pass by history every day (Washington Memorial, the Capitol, the National Mall, etc...)

However, since I've lived here for the last 7 years. What made me love D.C. now makes me hate it. I can't stand the crowdedness on the metro anymore. I've come to despise tourists with a passion for blocking every single traffic and means of transportation possible. It pisses me off that I have to pay almost double the price for grocery in D.C. as compared to when I buy them in Maryland or Virginia (which are also awfully close to D.C. - 5 minutes to an hour metroing and you get to another state). And the prices of the metro keeps increasing ($6 for one way during high-peek hours, $12/a day just to go to work), but there's absolutely no way you can squeeze your car through traffic here to make it from point A to point B. And the hatred list just goes on...

So I'm considering moving to Denver, CO. It seems to be a more lowkey area than DC but still is metropolitan, yet, you can manage an amazing outdoors getaway if you want, too. It's definitely not as expensive or crowded, which is a huge plus for me. The people are probably nicer, too...

If I could move anywhere in the US, the top two cities on my list would be San Francisco (gorgeous but very expensive) and (the one that surprised me) - Philadelphia.

Philly is a great city! A big sports town. Lots of history. Culture. Business. The city of brotherly love!

I definitely suggest you travel a bit to a few different places before you decide to move somewhere. Living in a new city can be tough. You should fall in love with the city before you move.

I grew up around DC for over 20 years. Unless you make a lot of money (55K+ salary), don't live there or near there. High taxes, expensive mortgages/rent, congested highways. Has been rated with having one of the top three worst rush hour traffic in America. Plan to go anyway, start getting use to carrying a reusable shopping bag everywhere you go because DC will charge you 10 cents a plastic/paper bag. If you hate crowds and congestion, stay away. Like the above poster said... Metro prices were constantly being raised. Yes there are things to do there, but it gets old fast and the majority of people of that region are not friendly. That place is only good for visiting. DC sucks... the end.

I had a bad experience in Philly. I nearly got my car jacked within being in the city for 5 minutes to go for a job interview (no joke). My fiance goes to medical school there, hates it, and can't wait to leave that area as soon as he can. Also, it's been rated as one of the top ten link removed around, along with DC (but Philly is rated #3).

I've come to love Asheville, North Carolina. No traffic and the people are ULTRA friendlier and laid back there. It has nightlife, breweries, a variety of ethnic restaurants, a LOT of pro-liberal hippy shops and a charming little book store. It is a big artsy city with a lot of art sculptures around and throw a lot of art/filming/music festivals. I've been there a few times and enjoyed my visits each time. Slightly expensive, but no where near like living in DC or Philly. It isn't a HUGE city like NYC or DC, but it is rated one of the most beautiful cities in the nation- it is gorgeous there during Fall and Winter since it's surrounded by the mountains. It reminds me a lot like Denver.

Sorry, I am a DC native, and I just had to post. It is true about expensive (although bags are 5 cents, and it IS reducing urban litter of those blowing bags), and we are a town of workaholics. I love DC, the downtown never gets old, seeing the Capitol, knowing what it stands for, seeing the Lincoln Memorial or on a more somber note, Arlington Cemetery. The people are crazy smart and driven, and there is an arts scene and a music scene and a growing hip scene, such as a bar with putt putt and a real funky vibe. Its expensive, and commuting is the pits, so live small and in town, like in other cities.

But if I were starting from scratch? I would live smaller and even more frugally and find a way to make Venice work or Santa Monica work for me. Its just too dang beautiful to be so close to an ocean and a city at the same time. Or maybe San Fran. Crazy expensive. Ocean and city combo? Can't be beat.

Other cool towns that have regrettably been discovered - Austin, TX; Portland, OR; Santa Fe, NM.

I actually see both of the posters above POV's. I am also a DC native, was raised here all my life, loved it here, thought I'd never move to another coast, but unfortunately what makes me love it now makes me hate it.

But I think what the OP needs is a suggestion like this. Somewhere to start brand new, somewhere that you'd fall in love with for the next 5-10 years of your life to make a starting point to start over again, but then you'll have to move somewhere else, which is exactly what DC is, at least to me - an amazing place to move to, start anew, make a career, then leave.

I'm a fan of much smaller relaxing towns now, which is exactly what the OP isn't a fan of, but I think that's what DC has made me to be after all these years

The above posters only talk about the tourist parts of DC.

I'll tell you how it's really like to live in and around the area if you don't have a lot of money to live in places say... Georgetown, Arlington, or Bethesda. I've grew up around DC most of my life. The crime rate made me want to leave. 8 women in my neighborhood were raped in broad daylight within a span of 2 months. I have been stalked home twice by suspicious men who tried to assault me- my fiance had to come out with a weapon to scare them off. Several months ago, a guy ran the streets with an AK-47 and murdered two innocent people who were not related to the culprit - this happened 5 minutes away from the neighborhood I lived in. When I was in high school we had the DC sniper running loose. A couple years ago I was ran off the road in my car while driving home from work (broad daylight) and not ONE person stopped to help or call 9-11. The final straw of what made me want to move out was when I witnessed a girl being beaten nearly to death by MS-13 gang members down the street I lived on.

The crime rate has gotten out of control. Most people with psychiatric disorders and mental imbalances tend to live closer to the Capitol. By the time I moved down South, I did not feel as stressed as I was back then. I am in my late 20's... which speaks volumes. I can easily say that I am in a much better place without the crazies. so yes... screw DC. No young woman should have to live in the kind of environment as I did.

San Francisco Bay Area. Best place to live if you're looking for cultural diversity, liberal centric views, and pleasant weather almost the entire year.

I was going to post this, but only if the OP can afford it. I think LA is cheaper than SF and has pleasant weather as well. California rocks your socks.

I don't know Seattle, I hear good things but I dislike rain and humidity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you're a weed smoker, move to Denver or Seattle. Seattle probably has that liberal slant. If you like to be warmer, move to Dallas. Dallas probably has the cheapest cost of living of the three. New York and LA (probably all of CA) are quite expensive.

Seattle is what I was thinking myself. Beautiful and cultured city for everyone, and if you love music and art than it's the way to go.

Archived