Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Calgary, Alberta, Canada - good areas to live

happpybear

Hello,

I will be moving to Calgary in the new year, and am currently looking for apartments. I know nothing about the city, and will not be able to check it out before deciding on a place to live. Which parts of Calgary are sketchy and should be avoided? I am hoping to find a place downtown.

My girlfriend used to live there, and will probably be moving back there in the near future. I will probably follow along later on next year as well. She says it's great. I am scared of the weather lol... I HATE THE COLD! Snow? meh no problems. -30 degrees? FML!

My girlfriend used to live there' date=' and will probably be moving back there in the near future. I will probably follow along later on next year as well. She says it's great. I am scared of the weather lol... I HATE THE COLD! Snow? meh no problems. -30 degrees? FML![/quote']

Yeah be prepared for cold as HECK. It is a dry cold though but no denying it is so cold it is painful. The wind chill factors in too. A few times I saw it so cold with the wind chill it was like - 45 or colder. So cold you could barely go outside and they recommended not because you could collapse your lungs and you definitely could not walk forwards you had to walk backwards to even breathe. They also cancel school if it is colder than minus 45. I remember doing exercises in class some days because it was so cold.

Yeah be prepared for cold as HECK. It is a dry cold though but no denying it is so cold it is painful. The wind chill factors in too. A few times I saw it so cold with the wind chill it was like - 45 or colder. So cold you could barely go outside and they recommended not because you could collapse your lungs and you definitely could not walk forwards you had to walk backwards to even breathe. They also cancel school if it is colder than minus 45. I remember doing exercises in class some days because it was so cold.

Great... now I am really discouraged lol Did you live in Calgary?

Counting on Global Warming to back me up! Come on Green Houses Gases DO YOUR THING!!!

Great... now I am really discouraged lol Did you live in Calgary?

Counting on Global Warming to back me up! Come on Green Houses Gases DO YOUR THING!!!

Where do you live now? I have lived in 4 provinces so I can kind of give you a general difference in climate to where you are.

Anyway back on topic.....I would suggest the NW area or SW sides of the city, downtown is good too but can very expensive. The East side can be a little sketchy in some areas but some of it seems to be coming around and becoming more developed and is quite a bit cheaper but in my opinion not nearly as nice as the west side. If you want some more details feel free to PM me. Good luck

My daughter just moved out of the NE last weekend, and we are so glad! There were always lots of murder/suicides and drug related shootings. She was living in a renovated basement suite ($900/month) but it was a fire trap.

My husband lived over on McLeod Trail, SE eight years ago and that was a nice little area. Major mall nearby, as well as an LRT station.

I don't know the downtown very well, but I think that there are some high end apartments there.

I am in the GTA

Okay I used to live in the GTA for years. You will find that there it is not humid it's a dry heat and a dry cold so that'll be better. I think is pretty much sunnier than it is here. You will love the Rocky Mountains they are just gorgeous! All in all I loved living in Alberta it's one of my favorite places in the whole country.

I absolutely LOVE it in Calgary. Stick to the NW or SE. I am in the process of moving from Airdrie to SE Calgary. The whole area is new and beautiful. I'm only 10 minutes from Somerset station and apparently it will only be 30-35 min to my stop downtown.

The NE is ok if you are WEST of Deerfoot (highway 2)

Downtown is expensive, but then again, expensiveness is relative to everyone.

The cold isn't terrible, but then again, I adjust quite well. I think I've zipped up my leather jacket 3 times this winter so far. Definitely get gloves, but then you know that...you're already in Canada.

Welcome to the City. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

4 or 5 years ago we were right around -45c before the windchill...that was fun

Also, if you like skiing or snowboarding, you're RIGHT NEXT to the Rockies. They're beautiful. Banff is super close as well, so you can check that out.

The economy in the area wasn't hit nearly as hard as the rest of the continent, so jobs aren't hard to come by.

In all, it's an AWESOME place to live.

4 or 5 years ago we were right around -45c before the windchill...that was fun

Also, if you like skiing or snowboarding, you're RIGHT NEXT to the Rockies. They're beautiful. Banff is super close as well, so you can check that out.

The economy in the area wasn't hit nearly as hard as the rest of the continent, so jobs aren't hard to come by.

In all, it's an AWESOME place to live.

I agree I would go back.

NW & SW for sure but they're more expensive. SE other than forest lawn, odgen, etc - good SE communities including mckenzie (lots of condos for rent here), mahogany, auburn bay, new brighton, chaparral. I do love these SE communities but until Stoney Tr. is complete using Deerfoot is impossible to avoid and if you're going north for work it's the most terrible hell of a commute you can find here, for that reason I wouldn't move there at the moment. I'll take Glenmore & Crowchild any day over Deerfoot.

Bowness in the NW has a bad rap and is an older community but it's in a great location by the river and lots of parks, and is a quick drive or bus ride to the downtown core. Funny enough the #1 bus runs between bowness and forest lawn, going right through downtown to get either way, so I blame the bus for bringing the seedy folks in from forest lawn and downtown lol. It's cheaper than other NW/SW communities (and closer to downtown) because of the bad reputation but honestly...there are so many different people here from very rich to very poor and everything in between, and the people are the friendliest I've met in the city - and I've grown up and lived here for most of my life. Bowness has a small town feel as it used to be its own town outside of Calgary before it was annexed. Also it's right off hwy 1 which will take you to the mountains with only one or two stop lights. Obviously that's my vote if rent costs are a concern.

If you want to hit up the NE, which is a really really great place if you're into specialty food stores, lots of culture, great unique restaurants that don't look like much on the outside but are fabulously delicious, I'd look at newer areas like sky view ranch. Martindale is alright, too. Avoid Marlborough at all costs, except for the T&T market. I wouldn't live there if it were me.

My girlfriend used to live there' date=' and will probably be moving back there in the near future. I will probably follow along later on next year as well. She says it's great. I am scared of the weather lol... I HATE THE COLD! Snow? meh no problems. -30 degrees? FML![/quote']

If it helps, cold spells like that are very quickly followed by sweet, glorious chinooks. Serious cold does not last long here.

Archived