Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Thinking of visiting Canada

Mr_LFA

I'm not a fan of heights at all...being in a plane is bad enough for me lol! I want to go to the 'French speaking side' too, but I don't think I'll have time on this trip because I want to stop on the way back (south) to see my family for thanksgiving in the US.

Yikes, big jump!

I just talked with one lady at my physio and she said up in Northern Ont they are paying 1.55

• 3 weeks later...
So I'm thinking of visiting Canada within the next 2 months (I'm Aussie and single). I've got some time and money and one of my best friends went all around there last year and had an awesome time. Not sure how long I wanna stay but I may even look around for career opportunities too.

Anyone got any ideas on what areas/cities to visit there and things to do? nature? good accommodation? music festivals/parties? etc.

Cheers

You should DEFINITELY come to Montreal

Not from Japan but there's so much to do,see,eat & experience in Japan. Best to just pick a city and start from there.

So I picked Osaka, Kansai then I'll be making my way NE towards Tokyo riding the swift JR Shinkanzen...two weeks wont be nearly enough!

• 3 weeks later...
So I'm thinking of visiting Canada within the next 2 months (I'm Aussie and single). I've got some time and money and one of my best friends went all around there last year and had an awesome time. Not sure how long I wanna stay but I may even look around for career opportunities too.

Anyone got any ideas on what areas/cities to visit there and things to do? nature? good accommodation? music festivals/parties? etc.

Cheers

I have wanted to go to this for the 3 years I have lived here (i am aussie too) but I am aaalllways working or have other commitments (aka lack of money)

link removed

How long are you planning for cos Canada is HUGE!! I would recc Jasper Nat Park, Montreal, Ottawa (if you like to party), Halifax...well all of the Maratimes really. You could come visit me in Whisler Its great in winter or summer. Actually Id say summer is better. Lots of biking, hiking, swimming, fishing, sunbathing, frizbee golfing, horse riding, wakeboarding, rockclimbing..list goes on and on!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have to agree with you here! It's absolutley breath taking - mountains and lakes, surrounded by the ocean, bears, whales... just thinking about it makes me miss it!

I agree. It is gorgeous! I love ALL of Canada though. Seeing it all has made me very privileged.

• 2 weeks later...

All of BC, including the interior, Vancouver city, and Vancouver Island = spectacular!

I grew up in the west (Alberta) so I'm a little prejudiced but if you have a relatively short time available for Canada, I'd definitely suggest you head west - start off in Edmonton or Calgary, explore and cross the Rockies, mosey accross the BC interior and end up on the Pacific coast. If you have time then head north.

The Maritime provinces are interesting too but in a much lower-key, less spectacular way.

Not that there's nothing to see in Ontario and Quebec - you could easily spend a vacation in those two provinces and there's quite a bit of historical interest, in particular. Even the endless prairies can be compelling in a bleak kind of way, and the cities very pleasant. But for - lacking a better phrase - the Canada you've seen on TV, it's mostly in the west.

Always wondered what those smaller Canadian prairie cities are like to live in. Do you remember it well? Is it "like Calgary but smaller" or a qualitatively different experience? (I'm guessing the latter.)

When I lived there it was about 20,000 people. I lived there in the 70's. It was a wonderful experience for me. It was a very homey happy town. It is the place I feel is my home because I was so happy there. You can't really talk about it in today's time because it was a different time ,different kind of cultural experience. Ya know? I also lived there in the 80s when I was a teenager well not just a small child. And it was a little more "metropolitan ". Now I believe it's about 70,000 people. So it is more or less an average sized town. For me though it will always be my Mayberry.

Archived