Open Club  ·  37 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Thinking of visiting Canada

Mr_LFA

So I'm thinking of visiting Canada within the next 2 months (I'm Aussie and single). I've got some time and money and one of my best friends went all around there last year and had an awesome time. Not sure how long I wanna stay but I may even look around for career opportunities too.

Anyone got any ideas on what areas/cities to visit there and things to do? nature? good accommodation? music festivals/parties? etc.

Cheers

I live in Alberta, near the Rocky Mountains. We have a lot of things to do if you're an athlete! There's world-class skiing and boarding in Banff and Canmore. Calgary offers restaurants and night life (we drive down there for concerts & museums.) There's Edmonton too, but we like Calgary better - it's beautiful, the people seem younger and more urbanite, and it seems to be the hub of the oil field in Alberta.

In B.C., I recommend visiting Victoria and staying on the harbour.

In Vancouver, Gastown is really beautiful!

OK I have to oppose becomingkate. I have lived all accross the east coast of Canada. In Halifax, Nova Scotia, St. John's, Newfoundland, and Fredericton, New Brunswick. The east coast has so much to offer in terms of culture, music, festivals. It has the outdoors but in a different way then the west coast of Canada.

I have travelled accross the country... and it is big, hard to fit all in, and extremely varied. But my two top spots are:

St. John's, NL and travelling around Newfoundland to Gros Morne,

Quebec City, a mix between European and French Canadian culture

Use Kayak, see if you can book some cheap nights.

Go to link removed if you wanna save huge bucks on almost all the major tourist destinations for a particular city. But it is only valid 9 days after its first use. It's handy though because you can skip most lines too. I think Toronto might be the only Canadian city though. Speaking of which, you should also check out Niagara Falls, aside from the falls itself there are a lot of interesting shops.

It depends on what part of Canada you're interested in. Montreal/Toronto are solid choices if you're into big, diverse cities. Halifax is quite nice as well. Right on the coast, very friendly, and has the benefits of a larger city with a smaller town kind of feel.

Western cities like Calgary likely have better job opportunities though, and they're definitely the places to be if you're into winter sports.

Rexcat - I would just love to see the East Coast! I married a Newfoundlander and we've been trying to get back there (the flight costs are crazy!)

In particular, I want to see Stone Island (on the Southern Shore) and Glace Bay, in Nova Scotia. One day....

This is about 5 minutes from my house. link removed

What do you like to do? What do you like? There is lots of diversity here. Lots of different communities and landscapes.

One of my favorite places, honestly, is Gatineau Quebec. And it's a great place to satellite out of and explore Ottawa. Ottawa is a nice, clean city but somewhat expensive to stay there. Gatineau/Hull is more affordable and also, the park and people - huge sigh. Love that place.

I live in the prairies (you know, the provinces most people want to skip through in order to get from west coast to east). We have great open spaces, lots of good fishing hunting camping and lakes. The cities, well they are smaller and if you like that feel, you would like it here. So if you choose to include Manitoba/Saskatchewan in your plans...give me a holler. lol. I'm doubting you will though!

What do you like to do? What do you like? There is lots of diversity here. Lots of different communities and landscapes.

One of my favorite places, honestly, is Gatineau Quebec. And it's a great place to satellite out of and explore Ottawa. Ottawa is a nice, clean city but somewhat expensive to stay there. Gatineau/Hull is more affordable and also, the park and people - huge sigh. Love that place.

I live in the prairies (you know, the provinces most people want to skip through in order to get from west coast to east). We have great open spaces, lots of good fishing hunting camping and lakes. The cities, well they are smaller and if you like that feel, you would like it here. So if you choose to include Manitoba/Saskatchewan in your plans...give me a holler. lol. I'm doubting you will though!

I LOVE the prairies I grew up there. My most fond childhood memories are there.

Get a WHV ... working holiday visa. You can apply all the way up to your 31st birthday. The ski resorts in Alberta and BC are filled with Australians. Like others have said, there are good parts to all of Canada. Some areas will be easier to get jobs in. There are many more jobs in Alberta than in the Maritimes, for example. I can honestly say there are good parts about every province, and territory.

Here is the link for Australians

link removed

Thanks for all the fast responses guys! I'm definitely getting keener by the day to make a trip up

You going to go there on a working holiday visa? Australian's under 30 can stay, work and travel in Canada under a working holiday visa.

TBH I haven't even thought of the visa I'll need or know much about it. I wont be working on this trip though, but that doesn't mean I wont be investigating companies who are looking for GIS professionals.

I live in Alberta, near the Rocky Mountains. We have a lot of things to do if you're an athlete! There's world-class skiing and boarding in Banff and Canmore. Calgary offers restaurants and night life (we drive down there for concerts & museums.) There's Edmonton too, but we like Calgary better - it's beautiful, the people seem younger and more urbanite, and it seems to be the hub of the oil field in Alberta.

In B.C., I recommend visiting Victoria and staying on the harbour.

In Vancouver, Gastown is really beautiful!

Calgary ey...sounds good

I've never even been skiing before...not much snow in Aust lol!

Use Kayak, see if you can book some cheap nights.

Go to link removed if you wanna save huge bucks on almost all the major tourist destinations for a particular city. But it is only valid 9 days after its first use. It's handy though because you can skip most lines too. I think Toronto might be the only Canadian city though. Speaking of which, you should also check out Niagara Falls, aside from the falls itself there are a lot of interesting shops.

Thanks Generation! I will check it out.

Thanks itsallgrand - Well I like discovering new countries and learning about different cultures and meeting new people...

I actually love open spaces and all of the above! I'm originally from a rural area here in Aust and even though I've lived in a city most of my life, I always enjoy getting some 'peace and quiet' every now and then. I actually haven't got any plans yet, because I only really decided on Canada last night lol. So everything at this stage is completely open and I certainly wouldn't mind visiting the less touristy areas, like you mentioned (Manitoba/Saskatchewan)... so please don't doubt me!

Get a WHV ... working holiday visa. You can apply all the way up to your 31st birthday. The ski resorts in Alberta and BC are filled with Australians. Like others have said, there are good parts to all of Canada. Some areas will be easier to get jobs in. There are many more jobs in Alberta than in the Maritimes, for example. I can honestly say there are good parts about every province, and territory.

Here is the link for Australians

link removed

Thanks shikashika! I'll check it out.

Train is UBBER expensive but very nice. Bus I personally find pretty ICKY. I would rent a car. That way you can do what you want to when you want to. Just some food for thought Via Rail from Toronto to Vancouver is $900 and that is "economy super saver class" and good heavens only knows what that does or does not include, I would not want to know what First Class is. Ok having a cabin and all your meals is $2800.

Train is UBBER expensive but very nice. Bus I personally find pretty ICKY. I would rent a car. That way you can do what you want to when you want to. Just some food for thought Via Rail from Toronto to Vancouver is $900 and that is "economy super saver class" and good heavens only knows what that does or does not include, I would not want to know what First Class is. Ok having a cabin and all your meals is $2800.

Thanks Victoria. I'm just looking at the West (BC/AB/SK/MB) at this stage. Rental car is my first choice and I had a quick look at rental cars and it's not too bad for a small car at about $50-60 a day, but I'm just worried that petrol/gas is gonna hurt. Although is it significantly cheaper there?? ...as here in Aust we pay ~$1.50/L.

I am not sure of the price in other provinces, maybe the others can check in, but we are at $1.22 a litre here and I live in Ontario. Mind where I live it is one of the cheapest in the province. In some places it can be 10 cents more than that.

BC is outrageously expensive, it's nick name is "Bring lots of Cash". They are also a little quirky...........think California. Alberta they have no tax because their oil royalties pay the tax. The other provinces I am not so sure about their gas prices. The west I would say other than BC their temperament is pretty conservative. Small c and big C.

I am not sure of the price in other provinces, maybe the others can check in, but we are at $1.22 a litre here and I live in Ontario. Mind where I live it is one of the cheapest in the province. In some places it can be 10 cents more than that.

BC is outrageously expensive, it's nick name is "Bring lots of Cash". They are also a little quirky...........think California. Alberta they have no tax because their oil royalties pay the tax. The other provinces I am not so sure about their gas prices. The west I would say other than BC their temperament is pretty conservative. Small c and big C.

I like how it's in litres too none of this gallon stuff lol

Yeah I heard BC is pricey but fortunately for me we have family friends that live in Vancouver, so I can probably stay with them. Heh I've got family in Cali you could say some of them are 'quirky' haha and I've also grown up in a pretty conservative city.

Right now in Toronto we are just over $1.30/L, but that is supposed to increase soon everywhere.

Wow and I thought everywhere else is much cheaper than Oz...

im biased as I live here, but I say definitely make a stop in Toronto!

If you arent afraid of heights, try the edge walk on the CN Tower (if you are here in time before they close)

link removed

I'm not a fan of heights at all...being in a plane is bad enough for me lol! I want to go to the 'French speaking side' too, but I don't think I'll have time on this trip because I want to stop on the way back (south) to see my family for thanksgiving in the US.

Well gas went from 1.18 a litre yesterday to 1.36 a litre tonight OY!!!!

Yikes, big jump!

im biased as I live here, but I say definitely make a stop in Toronto!

If you arent afraid of heights, try the edge walk on the CN Tower (if you are here in time before they close)

link removed

I'm not a fan of heights at all...being in a plane is bad enough for me lol! I want to go to the 'French speaking side' too, but I don't think I'll have time on this trip because I want to stop on the way back (south) to see my family for thanksgiving in the US.

Well gas went from 1.18 a litre yesterday to 1.36 a litre tonight OY!!!!

Yikes, big jump!

Archived