Which parent do you take after more?

WARNING: useless babbling. The main point of this thread is just what the title says.

My mom and I like to laugh about the similarities we notice. Habit-wise, my brother is very much like Mom, and I'm very similar to Dad.

My brother and my mom like to have the newest, hottest things. Mom likes handbags and fancy jewelry. Bro likes the latest game systems and tech stuff like the iPhone. They're very social, with a big circle of friends, and are quite stylish.

Dad and I, however, are more frugal and laid-back. We usually prefer to dress down, although Dad wants me to dress up more. Also, when I was on my Scandinavia trip with Mom, she noticed that I would turn my head to look at dogs. She told me that when they were dating, Dad would get distracted, not by pretty girls, but by boats!

I have become so similar to my dad over the past few years! I don't know how to relax, I'm always working and stressing over something, I have trouble sleeping, I get up early to run every morning, and I don't know how to have fun.

Certainly more like my father.

To this day there are times I'm spending time with my mom, and I've come to really appreciate her as an adult and enjoy my time with her. But my god, sometimes I wonder "did I really come from you? How?"

Then she says some bad joke and it makes complete sense to me and we crack up, and oh yeah, you are my mother!

well, my dad died when i was 15, but I am NOTHING like my mother. So, i'm guessing my dad.

I'm like you I lost my Father very early in life....Yet it is his strength, stubborness, and his belief in hope flow through my veins....anything I may have inherited from my Mother (who is also gone) is strangely silent right now....but I know when the time is right, I know the gifts I received from her will surface when I most need them...

I have a few traits from my mom but I DEFINITELY take after my dad the most.

Stuff I got from my mom: horrible generalized anxiety, migraines (THANKS MOM), physical looks, attention to details, good in emergency situations

Stuff I got from my dad: ability to emotionally detach (mixed blessing here), being very frugal, being logical, out-spoken, more of a loner, eye colour

I'd say it's 50/50 for me. When I was little, I looked a lot more like my mom than my dad. Over the years, I've sort of come into my own and I personally think I don't look much like either of my parents anymore. Personality-wise I'm a bit like both of them. I'm fairly girly like my mom but a lot less emotional. My dad and I have the same sense of humor and both of us are quite reserved. I think my mom was naturally shy but 20 years of being a waitress and bartender taught her how to make friends with just about anyone. My dad and I don't like most vegetables but my mom does.

My mother, it scares me a bit sometimes when I feel like I am turning into her. I have a few traits from my dad too though.

Ahahah we all become our parents. It is funny I watch my mom become a little more like her own mother as she ages and I am sure I will become even more like mine as I age too.

80% Dad 20% Mom.

Here I will explain.

Dad

- Read books

- Likes to play sports

- Likes to do outdoor stuff

- Intellect conversation as to how things work etc

- Kindness

- Everyone compliments what a good man he is and ladies want my dad because he is a good husband

- Reserved

- Doesn't care about people aka is comfortable being loner. I swear he could be a monk.

- Doesn't contact his friends/family. LOL

- Workaholic

- Doesn't argue. Space and explain.

- Willing to walk out.

Mom

- Knows how to fight in an argument

- Cares what people think of her/her children/family

- She knows what she wants and she goes get it

- Lazy

- Likes to keep the family together

- Relax

- Prenupt LOL Yeah my mom gets everything. My dad loves her too much. So far my dad hasn't cheated on my mom. My mom won't tolerate cheating or b.s.

I have a lot of my mum's mannerisms, sayings and beliefs and use most of the rules she gave me when I was growing up with my own children.

I also have a few of my step-father's behaviours, which I just realized this year (when I said "NOOOOO" just like him) Go figure!

• 1 month later...

I am almost 100% like my dad. Easy going, laugh at silly jokes, seem to have a joie de vivre. We're so alike sometimes it's scary.

However, I do have one tendency of my mom's: I'm tenacious and need the last word. lol Also, she's pretty funny and I'd like to think I'm funny too.

It's wonderful being an adult and thinking you would never want to have had anyone else's parents.

Archived