Tell Me A Story

Juliette ne pas

My son sent this Message to me from overseas, "Ugh, I am sooo drained!!! Tell me a story mommy?"

Worried about what my little one had seen and was going through, I tried to think of what story I could tell him to ease his weary mind.

My child, my beautiful child, so far from home, in a place desolate, war-torn, out-numbered, and feeling alone.

Subject: A story , I love you

Here my son lay down and rest your eyes and will tell you a story.

A story that is told in hushed tones with reverence by the First People, it's about a Principle Chief and his never ending search for his scattered tribe.

Once there was a tribal Chief, who related to the Principle Chief, and he and his people's dwelling place was in the foothills of the great smokey covered mountains which was the home to the Principle Chief. So awe inspiring were these mountains that the tribal people were afraid of them for thunder resounded and shook the ground near the base as the lighting crackled and lit up the sky and all the while the wind whipped through every nook and crany creating a sound like the howling of a wolf.

For many moons these tribal people lived peacefully in the foothills, until a jealous and revengeful dog soldier, who had once been a trusted son of the Principle Chief, chose to steal and destroy and scatter the tribal people. This dog soldier and his band charged in and left nothing but destruction in their wake.

Soon after the Principle Chief grieved for the people, his people, he then set out on a quest to gather that which was scattered, to return that which had been stolen, and to restore that which had been destroyed. So grieved was he that the thunder and the lighting and wind which he had contained at the top of the mountains broke free along with the fire that was contained in the belly of the mountains.

He then sent these elemental warriors and scouts to the lands beyond the foothills. He used a gentle wind to whisper words of encouragement to his people, not to give up hope- that he would find them and bring them home and a fearsome wind to blow through every nook and crany to help find his people. The thunder thunder above and below ground shaking and uncovering that which had been stolen and hidden. The lighting lit up the night sky making it as bright as day to aid his people who were fearfull and trembling.

The Principle Chief did indeed find his people and they rejoiced and celebrated and lived in peace again. The First People hold to this story as it is true, they know that in time this story will be their story too and they wait patiently for the time of its telling. As a reminder of his promise to the First People, he caused all the tears shed by the tribal people to cover the land as flowers and grass, he even caused the catus to grow as a reminder of the time of pain and suffering represented as the needles and the time of restoration as the flowers which become fruit and the branches or leaves the contain water which is nessary for all life and changed their name to the Principle People.

My son this is the legacy that is passed from me to you through my blood, the blood of my people. I am Cherokee and Shoshone, as are you, the word Cherokee comes from a Muskogee word meaning 'speakers of another language.' Cherokee Indians originally called themselves Aniyunwiya, "the principal people," but today they accept the name Cherokee, which is spelled and pronounced Tsalagi in their own language.

In the beginning the world, Earth (Elohino) was a round ball of water. The land base that was developed for Ani'Yun'wiya, the "Principal People", was Turtle (Salitsule) Island (Amayeli) now referred to as North America. The story is told of ropes being hooked to four different locations of the Island and then secured in the upper world, just for assurance that the Island would not sink in the great waters.

The universe is believed to be made up of three worlds, the upper (peaceful - color yellow), the lower (chaos - Earths core, orange/brown), and the center, (here where we are now - color green), to be kept in balance between the peaceful - upper and the chaotic - lower words). These are three of the seven sacred directions.

There are seven sacred directions.

Up - Down - Center

North (juhyvdlv?h) - color blue (sakonige?i) [for the cold north wind (unole)] - also representing trouble and defeat.

South (juganawv?i) - color white (unega) [warm south wind (unole) - also representing peace and tranquility].

East (dikvlvgv?i) - color red (gigage) [for the rising sun which sustains life and also representing the color of life's blood].

West (wudeligv?i) - color black (gvhnage?i) [the setting of the sun and coming of the moon which gives no warmth or life - also representing death].

Translation Source: Cherokee-English Dictionary, Durbin Feeling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ani'Yun'wiya lived by the clan system. This system was not only part of the government structure, but also a part of family structure and deemed who one could marry and could not marry. The mothers side was used to trace the family. The clan system is still used today by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. This system seems to help greatly in balancing government powers and seemingly helps to give all a say in community concerns.

There are seven clans.

Blue - Sakonigei (from the color of a type of plant used by the clan)

Wild Potato - Nuna Gehyahtahi

Bird - Tsisqua

Deer - Ahwi -- (western dialect) Ahawi

Wolf - Waya'

Red Paint - Asiwisti Gigagei -_ (western dialect) Disuhwisdi Gigage

Twister or Long Hair - Agaluga Ustihgv?i Ganvhida

Colored feathers were worn to designate which clan the person belonged.

Later, AC (after Columbus) an eighth clan was formed: Keetoowah

----- (UNCLASSIFIED)

How old is your son ? Please tell him a simple story.

Almost 22yrs...no there is nothing simple about who I am or who my people are....These are things he needs to remember, who he is, where he comes from, why these things are important... He is of the Warrior tribe and he knows and believe the story and it is important to write this story in our hearts....My prayer is that this story will bring him peace and wrap him in my love...if the unforeseen happens....maybe it will bring me peace too...this story was to be passed from Father to son, or Grandfather to son...I must tell it since my Father can not....Please understand I respect your ideas and wisdom...I do not mean to offend