Open Club  ·  41 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Recommend me some books!

PhilliesFan001

I have more time in my schedule now and I'd love to get back to reading. I want to try and read some 'classics' as well as new books I may not have heard of.

Books I've read/liked:

-The Hunger Games

-Any Jodi Picoult novels

-Books about mental illness/psychology - either people who have suffered from it or had family members who did, I recently read books about personal accounts of schizophrenia/hoarding/suicide and just find it interesting.

-A Walk accross The Sun

-Kite Runner

-A Thousand Splendid Suns

Books on my list so far:

-A Clockwork Orange

-The Handmaid's Tale

-Catching Fire

I don't think that's helpful, lol, but anything to add would be great!

Were you ever into the sisterhood of the traveling pants books? I read all 4 of them about 3 years ago or so and I just noticed she came out with a 5th one that takes places 10 years later. It was amazing!

Check out "a dangerous fortune" and "pillars of the earth", both by Ken follett. He's my favorite author. His books are incredible.

if you liked the kite runner and thousand splendid suns...maybe try 'a long way gone'. can't remember the guy's name. his memoirs of being a child soldier. pretty engrossing.

on the mental illness front, someone gave me one called ''the last taboo''. found it helpful for a few reasons. a good read for anyone who is close to someone with a mental illness.

I enjoyed many of the books you've listed as you enjoyed [except Hunger Games..don't get the hype around these books!] so here are a few I've read and enjoyed

-Secret Daughter

-Room

-The Virgin Cure

-The Book of Negroes

I loved both Still Alice [about dementia] and Left Neglected [a woman in an accident has no concept of the left side of her body]

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientists Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey

Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza

• 4 months later...

Archived