Open Club  ·  100 members  ·  Free

Journals

New Years resolutions 2012

Saffron_

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just life. A lot of bad luck, financial worries, family problems, a possiblility that I'll have to find somewhere else to live, possible job loss (I don't know yet but we were all gathered for a meeting in work today and told we might be out of a job!) Too much to mention on here and too personal. Because of ENA's policy of not allowing you to delete your own posts, I'm much more careful about what I share these days. But basically I've got a lot to be worried about.

Hugs.

I am sorry Saffron.

Thanks Vic,

But I'm alright. There have been talks of cutbacks for a while now and just last year my work was taken over by the council so this hasn't come entirely out of the blue. To be honest things could be a lot worse. When the meeting took place and we were given the news, a guy I work with started crying, right there in the meeting. That was sad to see. My contract runs out in March so I'll find out in the next few weeks if I still have a job. Although even if I do, I've already been informed that I won't be put on another contract because they're scrapping those. I guess that means less work and less stability but it is what it is. I'll get by whatever happens and I'm NOT gonna let this get me down.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that if I really push myself I can lose 2lbs a week instead of 1. By doing that I'll achieve my goal in 4-5 weeks time and then I'll be able to put my full focus into some other resolutions. The thing about losing 1lb a week is that it's fairly easy and I've barely had to make any changes to my diet or lifestyle. I just walk a bit more than usual and don't eat as many snacks. I think I'll give it a go just to see if I can do it.

Really need to bite the bullet tomorrow and phone the doctor to arrange for a blood test. Seriously dislike going but if I don't, anemia might set in and that's far worse than a quick jab of a needle. I should have phoned a week ago and it could have been over by now but I always put these things off. I hate going to the doctor, the dentist and the hairdresser (the hairdresser most of all) but I guess if I never went to these places I'd end up a sick, snaggle toothed scrag with hair like a bale of hay. Can't have than. First thing tomorrow, must call the doctor!

Haven't quite been sticking to my sleep schedule either. Gotta sort that too.

Massive balls up on the diet front today! Fancied a wee hot chocolate and by wee I mean I served it in an espresso mug. My thinking was that if I just had a little bit of a treat it wouldn't do any harm. And that's good logic if you stick to it. Unfortunately, once I had a taste for the sweet stuff, I went back for seconds and thirds and then I cracked open a can of whipped cream and started having espresso shots of that! Feeling rather ashamed of myself right now. So much for last post.

It was kind of cool having a tiny little hot chocolate with whipped cream on though. Made me feel like a giant.

Well, I fell off the dieting wagon big style last night! When will I learn that I can't resist sweets?! Thankfully I got right back on track today but I suspect that this slip up combined with the one from my last post might mean I wont have lost any weight this week.

Anyhow, I went on an extra long walk today to try and make up for it. I walked 7.9 miles and burned 591 calories. A new record!

Third weigh in

Weight: 9 stone 9/135lbs

Loss this week: 0lbs

Total loss: 3lbs

Well quelle f****** surprise! I've lost no weight this week on account of me being a greedy b******.

Think I'll stick to my original 1lb a week goal.

The only good thing to happen this week is the gradual change in my sleep pattern. It's not where it should be yet but I'm getting there and feeling less exhausted than I used to. I used to feel sleepy at around 2-3am whereas now I start to drift off around midnight. Getting there, getting there!

Hey don’t talk at yourself like that. We’re all human. Be nice to yourself.

I’m on the bandwagon now that I have my schedule sorted. I’m also changing my sleep pattern. Went to bed at 11:30 last night and got up at 9 today.. much better than 11. It sounds like we’re in the same boat!

Hey don’t talk at yourself like that. We’re all human. Be nice to yourself.

I can't seem to help it. I'm just an angry ball of stress right now. I've got a lot of frustration and unfulfilled ambition built up inside me. I guess that's part of the reason I decided to start a list in the first place.

I never used to be this way until around 3 or 4 years ago but now I can't seem to switch back. I need to figure out ways to unwind but strangely even when I do things I enjoy these days, I still feel kinda on edge. Actually, what I've just mentioned is another resolution altogether but I'd like to get 2 of the 3 sorted (sleep pattern and weight) before I move on to a new set.

Well I've finally called the doctor and booked an appointment. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I HATE going to the doctor so I was really lucky to get an appointment for tomorrow morning first thing. If I'd had to wait I'd probably have made excuses and backed out but not this time. Really feeling quite run down and lethargic. It might just be this time of year but then again it might be my iron levels so best just get it over with.

Didn't drift off so easily last night. Think it was about 2am I got to sleep but surprisingly I woke up at 6.45 feeling all alert and refreshed which almost never happens. Normally my alarm goes at 7 and again at 7.15 and I eventually drag myself out of bed at 7.30 and rush around because I haven't got long enough to get ready! Getting up at 6.45 made for a far more leisurely start to the day but I can't see it becoming a habit. At least not while we're still in the depths of a dismal blustery winter. Once spring gets here I'm gonna give earlier starts a go, but for now a good nights sleep and a regular sleep pattern is all I want.

Getting out of bed when it's dark and coming home from work when it's dark is really starting to depress me. I mean, the dark is bad enough but the cold and rain and general January malaise is enough to make anyone wanna up sticks and head for the sun. I have a friend in Australia, not a close enough friend that he's gonna invite me to stay any time soon but a friend nonetheless. I was thinking about him the other day when I was standing at the train platform waiting on my delayed train (well first it was delayed then it was cancelled), huddled against the wall trying to shield myself unsuccessfully from what started as rain then turned to sleet then turned briefly to hail (ouch!). I'll bet he's sunning himself on the beach right now. Oh what I'd give for a bit of sun! I can't even keep my flat warm because of the hike in energy prices so when I'm at home I tend to wrap myself up in a big red fleecy blanket. It's not the same as feeling the sun on your skin though. If I have the money next year, I'm gonna take a winter holiday somewhere warm. In fact if I could, I'd do it every year so long as my finances allowed. Definitely gotta make that a goal. Gotta find a way, gotta find a beach, gotta get a bit of colour and not be so pasty!

Just had an awful experience at the doctors. I mentioned that I sometimes feel dizzy standing up so he decided to take my blood pressure sitting down then standing. I'm having trouble remembering it clearly so I may not have the numbers exactly right but I think my blood pressure sitting down was 96/60. That was fine but then when I stood up for the standing blood pressure, the machine wasn't reading properly so he tried it again, then again, then left the room to get a different cuff. I started to sit down and he said to remain standing so I did. But I started feeling a little light headed so sat down briefly. When he came back he asked if I was ok and I said I felt a bit dizzy. Then he took my standing blood pressure and the next thing I remember I was waking up and the doctor was standing over me asking if I was ok.

I was on the floor, still on my chair but with the chair on the ground and I was kinda lying crumpled against the wall I had a really sore head and realised I must have fainted but obviously couldn't remember. The doctor told me that my standing blood pressure had pretty much halved in the last reading!! I then realised that in fainting I'd hit my head off the radiator pretty damn hard and it was kinda aching. The doctor said he hadn't expected that and that I should lie down for a minute, which I did. he proceded to ask me questions and asked if I'd be ok to get my blood drawn today and I said yes because even though I was dizzy I just wanted it over with. Afterwards he told me he was testing my thyroid, my full blood count, my haemoglobin, ferritin and he was also checking for Addisons disease! I'd never heard of it. He asked if I was working and said if I was I should take today plus tomorrow off and come back and see him tomorrow for the blood results (didn't realise they were so fast!).

The woman at reception offered to call me a taxi but I said I wanted to just sit outside for a while because the fresh air might help. It didn't. I started feeling terrible so I called a taxi, staggered in the door and lay on the couch clutching my head. It was really starting to throb and to top things off I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. Panicking slightly I called my mum and asked if she could come home from work which she did and the first thing she said was "Oh my god look at how swollen your head is! Are you ok?" She was worried I might have a concussion so she said she'd stay with me to make sure I was alright. She got me a blanket, a sweet drink, an ice pack for my head and she checked for signs of concussion (shining a torch to check my pupil response). About half an hour later I started feeling better and now apart from a throbbing in my head I think I'm ok. I've got a huge bruise on my head and my cheek though. Pretty sure I'll have a black eye

It's been a very bad day.

Oh Saffron I'm so sorry! I've read some were before about people who get light headed and whose blood pressure drops when they stand, I can't remember where but it's def. not normal and I'm glad you went and saw the doctor! I'm glad you had your mom there for you - moms can be pretty amazing sometimes in the healing procress.

Oh I was so glad to have my mum there OG! I called her in work and as soon as I told her what happened she just said "I'm on my way". She said she was really worried about me because I'd never asked her to come home before and I gotta admit I was worried too. I've never hit my head before but I know if you do and you feel sick or dizzy afterwards it can be a bad sign. Luckily for me it didn't last. She's gone back to work now but she's been calling every hour to check that I'm still alright. Mums are amazing that's for sure!

I'm so mortified to have passed out though, even if it was in a doctors office. I don't like drawing attention to myself but this caused quite a commotion. This is gonna do nothing for my hatred of going there.

Awww I am sorry Saffron. Fainting is not fun. Two of my pregnancies especially my first I used to pass out all the time. Once in the dr's office while laying down!! I get a drop in blood pressure too from standing. Not as bad as that but sometimes I see stars and things go black for a micro second.

Oh and I do now have a black eye and bruised forehead.

Jeez, I came out of there worse than I went in!

It's weird but everyone seems to be getting injured recently. Lol! How's your foot OG?

lol, you did kind of come out of there worse than you came in.

It's doing better today, thank you for asking. My mom helped a lot yesterday (go moms!). I'm kind of sick to my stomach now but that's from having heart burn for over 12 hours.. when I burp I get that hard boiled egg taste coming back up and it's making me sick. She's making me chicken noodle soup - awesome.

Archived