What would you think of a parent who.....

Seraphim

Why are doorknobs and plyers the only options? What happened to just letting it fall out on its own?

Strange.

It was thought (and can be true) that a baby tooth that should have fallen out but hasn't can adversely affect the growth of the adult tooth below.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I mean I understand why kids are impatient - but not why the parents are.

I've never heard of somebody actually using a doorknob, plyers, or any means to force a baby tooth out like that. Perhaps if the tooth was hanging on for weeks or months longer than it should...but it doesn't sound like the brightest idea to me.

No, I mean I understand why kids are impatient - but not why the parents are.

I've never heard of somebody actually using a doorknob, plyers, or any means to force a baby tooth out like that. Perhaps if the tooth was hanging on for weeks or months longer than it should...but it doesn't sound like the brightest idea to me.

That's because you are only 25. These kinds of things happened before your time.

I guess it is just a generational difference in parenting. In my case, my grandparents were born in the 1920's So you have to guess their parents were born in the 1890's and so on back it goes, right? Parenting was not really close to what is it today. My dad had parents born in the 1920's, he was born in the 1940's and I was born in the 1960's. Also don't forget that parenting resources were very woeful and not easy to get a hold of. Mostly what people used as references were their own parents and friends.

I agree though it is strange to me personally, but I can see why it did happen.

It was thought (and can be true) that a baby tooth that should have fallen out but hasn't can adversely affect the growth of the adult tooth below.

This is true. My son has had baby teeth removed by the dentist because the baby teeth were not even loose but his adult teeth were growing out the sides of his gums instead of down. They would have ruined his adult teeth if the baby teeth were not pulled. Obviously though in the days of more encouraged dental care for children and dental insurance I took him to the dentist to pull them.

That's because you are only 25. These kinds of things happened before your time.

To be fair, I'm younger than Phillies and I had teeth taken out with plyers and door knobs - I think it may be a regional/country thing.

Phillies - it's never really the parent that is impatient. The CHILD is and therefore the parent does it. I remember begging my dad to take one of my front ones out because it was hurting and it eventually got to the point I would tie the string around my OWN tooth and shut the door myself.

I think it was more commonly accepted, yes, but I kind of think traumatic for the kid, especially if they protested. I always wondered. This was what my dad did despite my screaming in protest. I have no memories of other kids talking about it being done that way. They very well could have, and I just do not remember,

Victoria, I think no matter what decade that is cruel. I was born in 1959 and I pulled all my own teeth. It was so traumatic for me I fainted on the bathroom cabinet the fist time I pulled one. I can't imagine my dad doing that to us.

I think in the past kids were not encouraged to have dental care. I mean neither of my parents saw a dentist before the age of 17. I think the only time I saw a dentist was at 8 years old but it was an emergency, I had my teeth almost knocked out by a swing. By the time I was teen though I saw a dentist regularly. Kids in my generation did not overwhelming get braces or orthodontic work or anything like that. Now they encourage parents to start bringing kids to the dentist for regular care starting at 3 years old. My son has been every 6 months since he was 3.

You and I are on the same page. I think that you have detected from a previous post that my mother is also was mentally ill. Knowing that made it somewhat more bearable to put up with her****. but it still was not pleasant to be a party to the crazy making behavior. She was not in poverty, however, as my father provided for her before his death, but she would have been if it were not for that. Yet after his death she did nothing but complain about him and she just had to be told that he was gone and that was that. It takes a real understanding of mental illness to be able to deal with their behavior.

In your example about the tooth removal by the door, I think that was the norm for the times. I just think you are having a real tough time with your dad, but I don't doubt that you love him in spite of everything. I know I loved my mom and I sure wish she was not mentally ill....but she was.....

Archived