Found my cat dead this week. I am heartbroken...

Double J

I found my male cat dead on the street Wednesday morning. He was less than 2 years old.

In June 2010, my girlfriend and I heard the cries of three kittens coming from the bushes accross the street from my house. We picked them up, took them in, and cared for them as if they were our own (bottlefed them, cleaned them, bathed them, etc.)

Once they were big enough, I knew I couldn't keep all three of them, so my aunt was generous enough to take 2 of the kittens.

My cat turned out to be very aggressive. He seldom let himself be carried. If you tried to get too close, he would bite you, sometimes viciously. He had his moments, though, where he was more docile. It was usually when he was tired or sleepy, and in those instances he'd get on top of me while I lay on the couch and fall asleep on my tummy.

When he didn't turn up Wednesday morning, I knew something was wrong. I poked my head out and didn't see him. It wasn't until I was backing out of my driveway on my way to work that I saw his lifeless body near the same spot where I had picked him up as a kitten.

Sure, my cat wasn't the most affectionate feline out there, but I'm especially devastated because he was the first pet I considered my own. (I've had other family cats over the years but I didn't really consider them mine because they were found and cared for by someone else at an early age.)

I feel like I've lost a son, or a little part of me. It's rough to lose a pet right before the holidays. The house isn't the same without his vibrant energy. Sometimes I walk around hoping he'll be waiting for me in the guestroom or sticking his paw underneath the front door as he usually did.

Mornings are brutal because he would always accompany me while I got ready for work. Even though he was aggressive and semi-destructive (e.g. he broke various things around the house), I miss that.

I looked at pics I took of him with his brothers as kittens last night and couldn't stop bawling. Why was he taken from me at such an early age? He had his whole life ahead of him. He loved life and I would have wanted to see him grow old. In a way a carry a sense of guilt for letting him out at night, but he wanted to leave and I didn't want to hold him hostage against his will. (For the first year or so I would always bring him back in at night but lately I had been a bit more lax.)

Life is unfair. I miss my little buddy.

I'm sorry supernova. It is so sad and to find him like that...so heartbreaking. We become so connected to our pets, tuned into their energy. You raised him from an orphaned kitten, kept him and his siblings alive, so gave him the opportunity to explore life with his vibrant personality. Some of my cats learned to stay inside, or come in before dark, but I had one that would not be restrained (or held hostage, good way to put it) and he eventually disappeared. He lived life on his terms, and although that meant a short life (by my expectations) it was "his" and I believe he enjoyed it, including the risk involved.

Sorry to hear about your cat

It will always be tough to loose a pet. They are taken in as part of the family and loved as such also.

Don't feel bad about him being out. His life may have been short, but I can bet it was 100% happy!

All animals have unique personalities and attitudes, to me, it sounds like if you had tried to keep him in , yeah he may have lived a little longer (not guaranteed) but he would not have enjoyed it nearly as much!

I'm really sorry... i know how hard it is having lost a pet recently myself...

The average lifespan of a cat that goes outdoors is usually only 2-3 years because there are so many dangers outdoors for cats, from getting run over to killed by a dog or coyote, to dangerous cat fights to the many dangerous contagious diseases and parasites cats catch outside. So sadly it is very common to lose a young cat if it goes outside.

When you are ready for a new cat, get a cat or kitten who will be content being an indoor cat and you can keep it safe inside from those hazards... Most cats are very happy indoors only if you have a nice window for them to look out and watch the birds. I lost a cat years ago when she got run over when she was 18 months old, and i swore after that that none of my future pets would run free outside due to the dangers there. All of my pets since then have lived to old age...

So don't feel guilty because you were trying to be 'nice' to your cat, but recognize that outdoor cats live far fewer years than indoor cats, so don't feel guilty in future either about keeping a cat indoors rather than letting it roam. You are not holding a cat 'hostage' by keeping it inside, you are ensuring it doesn't have the hazards it would encounter going out. So a hard life lesson, but i know your cat did have a good life while he was with you, so try to focus on that and not guilt since you certainly would have kept him inside if you'd known this would have been the outcome of letting him out. Hindsight is always 20/20, but nothing is guaranteed and you have learned what you need to do in future when you do get a new pet... there are so many wonderful cats out there who need homes, please don't let this stop you from considering a new one in the not too distant future.

My heartfelt condolences.

Having grown up in a household where we always had 2-4 cats, and having experienced the loss of them, I understand what you are going through. It's really tough. We lost my favorite cat a few years back. She was 19 and had kidney failure so we had to pu her down. It sucked.

We are down to 1 cat now. She is an indoor/outdoor. Says outside most of the day and inside at night. It makes me nervous but she won't stand for anything else. Shes a little hunter and prefers outside. Wouldnt feel right keeping her inside all day.

Keep your head up knowing that you gave him the best life you could. You cared for him when nobody else would and he loved you more than you know. Your time together was short, but you will always have the fond memories. The emptiness you feel will be replaced with a sense of satisfaction having known what it is like to raise a pet and experience the unconditional love that exists between a pet and their master.

Archived