Is Canada hiring nurses?

This may look to some of you like counting my chickens before they've hatched. I still have a ways to go before I become a registered nurse. I still have to graduate nursing school and pass the NCLEX exam to get a license. But it's probably not too soon to look around and think of my options.

People ask me if I am going to stay in Hawai'i, and my reply is usually, "That depends. Will they hire me?" While I'd like to stay in Hawaii, I'm open to moving to the mainland for a job (in fact, I actually kind of want to try getting out there.) Even though we have a shortage, most places in Hawai'i will not hire someone who isn't experienced, so a lot of newly grads had to go to the mainland. But I recently heard of newly grad programs being established so nursing school graduates can stay in Hawai'i.

Still, if I'm going to move, I'd much rather be somewhere near my family, so I don't want to go as far as the East Coast. I have relatives in Seattle, so that would be my first mainland choice. But I also have some relatives in Vancouver, Canada, so maybe I should consider that too?

I've already peeked at the requirements to become an RN in Canada. Though I'm not completely sure whether they'll accept a license from taking the NCLEX exam or if I'll have to take the CRNE for a separate license. Possibly the latter. And I'll most likely need additional education for the transition, like nurses from the Philippines.

My main question is if there are job vacancies in Canada, specifically Vancouver or any other nearby place in BC. And if it's a good job there.

I don't have any plans to move to Canada yet. Just wanted to see if this would be a good option to add to my list.

There is a great need for nurses pretty much everywhere. As the "baby boomer" population gets older and older, expect there to be even more demand. There's a lot of sick elderly people, and even the not-so-sick elderly people need care...and there's bound to be more.

Healthcare is a great field to get into if that's what you're into. It's a lot of work getting there but it's very rewarding, you learn a lot, and you will always be in demand. The economy may come and go but illness never stops.

Speaking as a Canadian, I would advise not to come here to be a nurse at this time. I have many friends in nursing and healthcare fields and nurses are overworked, under-payed and it is only going to get worse. Some of my recent graduate nursing friends actually can't get a decent job. Canada is in a recession with a conservative government that is not investing in healthcare, in fact hospital budgets are being squeezed and this will affect jobs, not to mention the union busting that is occurring and will continue to occur as the years progress. I have no faith in my countries ability to deal with the aging population and I do not believe they will provide the resources (nurses, doctors etc.) necessary to provide adequate healthcare in the future unless drastic changes occur, but no government has the b*lls to implement drastic changes cause then they might not get elected.

Your honestly better off where you are, or heading to Australia, they apparently are not in a recession, and also need nurses

I have a friend who is a nurse in the U.S. The only knowledge I have on this is based on her situation. But she is going through Hell trying to get her work visa for nursing in Canada (She wants to move there to be with her BF in Montreal). It appears the market is saturated there. They also make much less money there than they do in the U.S.

Hmm. My Canadian uncle did say he thought nurses were underpaid. Times are tough right now, but I always thought Canada had the healthcare thing down pat. One of my teachers loves to praise its public health system.

As for the salary, I knew that nurses in Canada get paid less than in the US, but I thought I would be okay with it since I'm good at saving money and don't need many luxuries. But there's also the differences in living expenses to consider...also I didn't know about the job availability there...

Happpybear, what province do you live in? Does the problem affect the entire country, or is it worse in some parts than in others?

There are certain regions of the Canada where nursing is in high demands. Other places are supersaturated, but this is mostly because everyone wants to live in the hot spots. If you aren't difficult on the location (aka Alberta or up North), then it will be very easy to find a spot willing to hire you.

In reference to this reply. Canadians will soon see a change very soon. The conservatives are doing the job that they were elected to do, balance the books. But already, with more talks of double-dip recession, many provinces (can be known as states) have elected a liberal governing party. Which, if history repeats itself, will probably inject stimilus funds into the public sector and increase government spending. And as this so-called recession hits our lives harder, and i'm sure it will, there will be changes to offset the severity of it.

Nurses are underpaid because of the job they need to do; hence because of government cuts. Pretty much safe to say, the job is doing almost double duty? If any nurses here can re-affirm? And with many, some would say too many, nurses leaving for more $$ in the U.S., there should be openings available. A friend of mine, after getting her license worked at 3 locations (2 hospitals & 1 elderly-care homes) but now i hear she's working at one location.

My advice, get on LinkedIn and do some networking via online. It's worth a shot!

Archived