Weeks after interview, HR calls to inform me of a different position

I interviewed with a well established company close to a month ago. All in all, I think I did very well. I first sat with HR before meeting with both the hiring manager and her supervisor. The final step was an on-site writing test. The hiring manager informed me that she'd be on vacation for two weeks and sought to make a decision by early August.

Just days before the hiring manager is set to report back to work, I get an unexpected call from HR. She told me that even though a hiring decision wouldn't be made until next week, she wanted to inform me of another opening within the company I might be interested in. She described it briefly and in response I stated I'd be interested in that one as well.

I found the move on HR's part to be rather unusual. She assured me this doesn't mean I won't be getting the position I interviewed for. She even asked how I thought I did and mentioned she wasn't sure whether I'd have to come in to meet with other higher-ups for that original position.

Though the reasons for her call are anyone's guess, these thoughts ran through my head shortly after:

- Could she have told me this simply because I made a great impression on her and she wants to broaden my options?

- She knows an internal candidate is in the running and presumes he/she will get the job though she isn't 100% sure

- Competition is stiff and she really has no idea who will come out on top

Again, she seemed unsure as to who would be chosen for the position, but the pessimist in me says she was trying to convey a subtle message: "The first position has someone else's name on it, buddy."

What do you guys think? Am I reading into this too much? Thanks!

Who knows what the motives are, but I think the fact that she is suggesting this other position, and that you are interested in it, means you should apply for that one too. All in all, it just opens up another door. You obviously made a good impression. She wouldn't recommend that you apply for it if she didn't have any interest in hiring you, so go for it!

Maybe she thought you would be better suited to the position, or there are several strong candidates and to fit them all in, they need someone to take a different position? I have been on plenty of interviews where they hire internally but have the policy that they must post the job publicly and take interviews for a particular position to make sure they are getting the right fit. I think that she wanted to see if you didn't get this position, would you be intersted enough in the company to take something else? Maybe the one job she newly mentioned is much more urgent to fill. I would take it as a compliment and go into the interview for the second job as informational.

Archived