Do internal candidates usually get the job?

I'm in the running for two different positions at two large organizations. I've worked mostly for small businesses/start-ups, so this is uncharted territory for me.

It's well-documented that big companies have a track record of hiring internal candidates. I have no idea if/how many internal candidates are vying for these positions. Assuming there are at least a few, do I stand a chance? I've done my part in researching the companies and interviewers, sending thank you letters, etc. I am convinced that, should they opt for an external candidate, I'll be in front of the line.

What's your experience been like competing with those on the inside?

Not always... sometimes the internal candidates aren't qualified, or they want to bring in new blood and new skills that no one in the organization already has. I have gotten several jobs where i was chosen over internal candidates specifically because they wanted to bring in a new attitude and new skills that didn't already exist in the internal candidates.

And a lot of times those jobs where there are good internal candidates never even make it into being advertised becuase they just transfer in the person they want. So if it is advertised outside the company, there's a good chance they may want someone new for the job for whatever reason.

I'm sorry to say that, in general, they usually do. The main reason is because people already in the organization are a known entity. Those in charge of hiring have a long term grasp of their knowledge, skills, work ethic, etc. As an outsider, despite your best efforts with your resume, recommendations and interview, they know very little about you. If you have all of that really solid, and they simply do not see anyone from within that would be a good fit, that's when you have a much better shot. If you're a star that's well known around your industry, that may put you above highly qualified internal candidates, depending on the industry and company. All this is why, if you're looking to move toward the big company ladder, many times you need to take a slight demotion to get your foot in the door.

hi supernova, not all companies are like this, but majority of the time the internal candidate already has the job. I can say from experience that I've been on both sides of the fence. Most people will say its all who you know, and unfortunately that is the truth in certain cases.

My experiences competing with those on the inside was that there was no competition, the companies have already made up their mind. They just had posted the job ad externally because it was the proper hiring procedures they had to follow. Some people I know were hired internally and still had to go through the hiring process, while the company still posted the job externally (knowing that the internal candidate already had the job). So really I think if you got your foot in the door or already work there, your chances are better. Also, it sounds to me you've been doing everything right regarding the thank you letters, etc. It shows your interest, so perhaps this can help you stand out from most. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if an internal applicant has already been chosen.

Hope this helped.

The statistics i've seen say that about 50% of jobs filled in large companies are internal hires, and 50% of job openings are filled externally. If companies only gave jobs to internal candidates, nobody would ever change jobs, so think about this rationally for a bit and don't overweight people's opinions not based on facts.

So it's a 50/50 chance of them picking someone external over someone internal, even odds which are not bad odds at all. My last 3 jobs I got hired over someone internal, and had their resentment at me getting what they considered 'their' job to prove it...

I have a client who will post positions that are either internal only, or available to the outside. Totally depends.

Yes, internal will always have first consideration, but if no one is qualified, then they will open the search. They won't hire someone internally who is less qualified than a outside candidate with stronger skills.

I have a client who will post positions that are either internal only, or available to the outside. Totally depends.

Yes, internal will always have first consideration, but if no one is qualified, then they will open the search. They won't hire someone internally who is less qualified than a outside candidate with stronger skills.

Those have been my experiences as well, they will expand their search and open the competition to external applicants if they are looking for stronger skils, more qualifications, etc.

It's well-documented that big companies have a track record of hiring internal candidates. I have no idea if/how many internal candidates are vying for these positions. Assuming there are at least a few, do I stand a chance? I've done my part in researching the companies and interviewers, sending thank you letters, etc. I am convinced that, should they opt for an external candidate, I'll be in front of the line.

Yes, you stand a real chance, but it's a complex picture ...

Many (most?) companies have a policy that they have to post job openings internally and that they have to interview all internal candidates that apply. My company is like that, and it's probably good business, and it means that there are almost always internal candidates. But don't assume that insiders always have an edge, because (1) the company already knows them and is familiar with their abilities, and (2) the company already knows them and is familiar with their abilities. That cuts two ways, if you know what I mean.

Then look at the bigger picture, because the system is often predisposed (which kinda means "rigged," but not necessarily in a bad way). Often one of the internals has been "encouraged" to apply by the hiring manager and HR. That means he or she has already been anointed, and the interviewing process is only a formality to comply with policy. That could happen to the position you're interested in, but unless you're inside the organization, you won't know, so don't worry about it. To the contrary, the fact that the position was posted externally suggests they don't have a predetermined internal candidate. Good sign.

But then, a similar environment applies to external applicants. Companies always prefer good referrals, particularly from managers or from employees who have good reputations (read "credibility") within the company. My company did a small wave of hiring last year (five positions, all external, all "unknowns"), and two of them "didn't work out." When we re-filled those two positions this year, one came from an internal transfer (after a bogus "interview"), and one came from an external referral (a person from a marketing firm who has worked with us -- but not for us -- for some time). It's "the devil you know versus the devil you don't." That's why "networking" is a great edge.

But look on the bright side: Three of those off-the-street hires from last year worked out fine. So focus on the upside!

Then look at the bigger picture, because the system is often predisposed (which kinda means "rigged," but not necessarily in a bad way). Often one of the internals has been "encouraged" to apply by the hiring manager and HR. That means he or she has already been anointed, and the interviewing process is only a formality to comply with policy. That could happen to the position you're interested in, but unless you're inside the organization, you won't know, so don't worry about it. To the contrary, the fact that the position was posted externally suggests they don't have a predetermined internal candidate. Good sign.

Haha, I was begged to apply for my job. Almost every job opening my department has had, we hire internally. Only once was a currently employed temp rejected, and the position has changed to allow for others to apply instead. We always prefer the "known" employees, rather than taking a shot with someone new. My company also says they post positions internally first, but I can always find them on the regular search too. Sometimes they don't really wait. If we aren't hiring temps, then one department is stealing from the next.

It all depends on if they do have possible candidates at the company already, and also if you can bring something to the company/department that those people can't. If you at least get an interview, the hiring manager probably hasn't made a decision yet, so go for it.

If you can identify a company you want to work for, try getting in the door as a temp in any role. From there you can demo your work ethic and form relationships with people who will act as your champion for a permanent spot.

Archived