Open Club  ·  38 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Why Men Love<removed>. - From Doormat to Dream Girl

Silverbirch

I just received an official warning from ENA for posting this. The excluded word was the word for female dog, but has full stops between the letters. I saw the title posted elsewhere on this site last night. Is this just computer generated and an error?

I received a copy of this book after my last breakup from a friend, and while it was an okay read - it basically tells you to not give a damn and men will fall for you - which isn't always true. Some things are just common sense - which is also another thing I noticed in almost all relationship books.

Hey thanks Petite. I feel pretty dumb when it comes to men sometimes despite being quite mature-aged. I've only had 3 relationships in my life, but they all lasted several years.

Have you also read "He's Just Not That Into You" and was it worthwhile? Any particular books you could recommend? Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with having long relationships - my opinion actually is that it's better to in longer relationships than to yo-yo from one to the other. Such books can only help you to a certain degree, but honestly I take books like that with a grain or salt. I've read many self-help, how-to and relationship books and there are probably only a few I can trust say that I might have benefited from in some way.

I've read He's Just Not That Into You, and many other relationship books, or books in similar genre. Actually you've made me think about some books I read, lol the list would be very long when it comes to self-help books LOL

Hi Petite, is "He's Just Not That Into You" informative and worth reading?

I didn't get anything out of it that wasn't common sense. It was an easy read, but not one that I would recommend to a friend to help her out...

Hi Agent,

I didn't use the symbols. They were put in by a moderator who then mailed me. I didn't realise I had broken the rules by typing in the book title which contains a profanity. I offered to have the entire thread removed, but was just given a warning instead.

Hi Petite, is "He's Just Not That Into You" informative and worth reading?

definitely. Yes, all of it is common sense. However it's written to give you a self-esteem boost that you DO deserve better than someone that puts in half of your effort, or someone that is making excuses not to be with you. The problem with people when they go through break-ups or dating is that they make excuses for the other person, "oh, he's just really busy. I'm sure he will text me soon" or "he's under a lot of pressure right now - so that's why he doesn't want to be in a relationship. That's ok. I don't need the label anyway." But in reality, you are the rule and NOT the exception. definitely read it or borrow it.

Hey Drama, sometimes I feel very uncomfortable because my ex felt I was too busy for him and made excuses, but I really was pre-occupied with work having moved into a difficult management position, put in a lot of hours, was tired and even sick. He often sent me texts which I didn't know I had even received until much later. I really was into him, and despite all of his faults, would do anything to be able to turn back time and not make those mistakes, to at least have been able to give it a better chance. The only thing I can do is learn from this. Of course, I had given lots in the three and a half years previously, but when the time came where I was the one with needs, I guess he showed that he just wasn't that into me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well today on of the books arrived. I'm still waiting on the first book, but the sequel, "Why Men Marry Female Dogs", I'm really enjoying - much more than "It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken". It just seems to me that the book I'm reading now is written more in the affirmative. With the "Broken" book, for me anyway, it feels akin to hammering nails in my head reminding me I've been rejected and discarded. This other book though seems more positive and confidence inspiring, and perkier. I think if I pick out special parts and remind myself of them that it will help me to be more positive and get on with my life. With the first book, I just wanted to cry more and more.

I have ordered the "Why Men Marry 'female dogs'" lol....sounds like the sort of book I need!

I am a fairly strong, independent woman, yet with men I do the opposite. It's as if I have trained my brain into thinking I have to do everything for them, to succumb to their every need in order for a relationship to work. Starting to learning that actually, if I stay true to myself...things might actually work out for once!

So I am hoping this book will kick some sense into me.

Also lately been reading: "Magic of Making Up" which....I am not sure is for me in terms of initiating contact, since I have no intention of doing so.

"How Do I Get Him Back" - Bob Grant

"The Woman Men Adore...and Never Want to Leave" - Bob Grant

Archived