New relationships: is the grass greener on the other side?

Lady Rashomon

Still feeling the fallout of my first major relationship and am wondering about people's experiences with subsequent loves after the first big one. Did you find someone better suited to you? Or was it simply a rehash of the old problems (or a different set of problems)? Can second, third, or fourth loves be more enriching than the first?

I think if you make use of the relationship as a lesson, then you get better. You learn what you like and dislike, how to be a better partner, etc.

There are new and different problems, but that's just another lesson to learn.

I like to think all of my relationships have been improvements from the one before.

Yes, I found someone better suited for me after my first love. In fact, it wasn't until years later that I was truly happy.

In my opinion, with every relationship, you always learn something new. It's all about experience.

Yes, that's true--I think relationships are always what you make of them, and I like to think of them as unique. I realize that the questions I'm asking are largely for validation and a way of dealing with the gaping abyss that is right in front of me. I spent a third of my life (and the majority of my adult life) in this relationship, so I feel that not being in it is like losing a major reference point for some of my most significant experiences. Hard to imagine what it could be like to start from scratch, to learn another person, to build something anew from the scrap heap of one's life.

Sometimes it's a trial and error; at least that's how I felt it was. I'm sure it's difficult for you especially for being with the other person for so long and having to stand back up to find that courage again. Fear and uncertainty can cloud the outlook while at the same time you can bring positive qualities and lessons you learned into the new relationship.

In that sense like mentioned already it's a good experience even if it didn't end well.

Each of my relationships were improvements over the last. I credit two things for this: age and experience, and the longer the amount of time I invested in remaining solo in between them.

The more solid I grow standing on my own two feet, the more confidence I bring to the next relationship. This enables clarity, negotiation skills, sensitivity toward feelings and circumstances beyond my own, and a generosity of spirit that cannot be enjoyed when I'm on shaky ground.

Baby steps are cumulative.

Archived