Want a job as a Career/Academic Advisor. How do I gain experience?

Double J

I'm interested in leaving the corporate world and finding a more fulfilling line of work-- something that will leave me feeling as if I'm making a difference at the end of the day.

I graduated summa cum laude and have always had a passion for academics. I'd like to return to the academic world in the capacity of academic advisor (or something along those lines).

However, seeing as how most jobs require experience in an academic setting, I feel like the odds are stacked up against me. When applying for these positions, is it wise to put a spin on your corporate experience ("worked in a customer service environment," "advised customers") so as to help you land the jobs?

What else can I do to help get my foot in the door? I've noticed that universities/colleges are very picky as far as desired qualifications in job candidates. I figure emphasizing my academic qualifications can only take me so far.

Thanks in advance.

I am an academic adviser at the major university in my area.

I think the first question that needs to be asked is:

- As you sure being an academic adviser is what you have in mind? There is quite a difference between being an academic adviser for a university, and being more of a general life adviser or "life coach". I have students approaching me all the time with questions about what they should be doing with their lives, and quite honestly, while I can give them some advice about where to look - my job is strictly academic advising. That means I tell students what classes they need to graduate or to apply for certain programs. I can tell them all about particular courses they may find appealing, but I can't do much more. My focus is academics, not life. Does that make sense? I'd love to give students advice about how to find their passions, but that simply isn't my area of expertise. I often recommend them to student counselors, or our university's career placement services.

As far as getting your foot in the door, I had no qualifications really, when I got into the job two years ago. I was in the middle of finishing up my BA (English) and needed a part-time job so I applied for one as a secretary for the admissions advisers in the registrar's office. I worked well, and got noticed, and this eventually opened up doors for me which lead to my current position.

In all honesty though, getting a job at major universities right now has a lot to do with who you know. With budget cuts coming left right and centre, not a lot of universities have wiggle room for hiring. There are job postings, but as you said - they're picky - and more often than not, though a job posting is made public, they hire from within. The best way around this is to know someone from the university that can put a good word in for you.

If you really want to get into counseling, you'll probably want to get professional training. A lot of regional colleges offer part-time programs that can be completed in one/two years, assuming you've already obtained a degree from an accredited university/college.

Archived