Do bosses have favoritism toward extroverts?

Double J

Even though I've delivered great work at each and every one of my jobs, it seems I'm always upstaged by the more bubbly extrovert who does a better job at self-promoting himself/herself and her accomplishments.

How can an introvert curry his or her boss's favor? Are there bosses out there who care more about the quality of their employees' work than their personalities? Is there such a thing as an introverted boss?

I know kissing butt always helps, but I refuse to stoop to that level. I don't mind chatting up a supervisor once in a while, but too much chit-chat takes a toll on me. I am also humble about my accomplishments -- is this something that I'll need to change about myself in order to stand out more?

Enthusiasm is a highly respected quality in the workplace. There are ways to communicate your accomplishments without being obvious that you are tooting your own horn. Consider the two examples:

1. "I am so great. I finished the project on time and under budget. I am getting great feedback from the customer too."

This may be more suitable to someone else's personality rather than yours.

2. "I am glad I was able to complete the project so soon and for less than the projected cost because now I have the time to address the next project. I have also heard that the customer is happy with my work."

This sounds more humble and organized. It puts the company's interests at the forefront.

Extroverts prosper, those who are not shy prosper, those who are assertive, or even over-assertive, prosper, those with social skills prosper. Ability to do the job sadly seems to be a relatively minor factor in career progress in many industries.

Yep. You know they say that the cream rises to the top...however when you are cooking, scum rises to the top and oil floats to the top. So too in the world often the scum rise to the top and slick, oily people rise to the top. That's not to say that all successful extroverts and assertive people are scummy, slimy people...there is indeed cream in that group at the top.

You are all talking like all extroverts are not good at what they do. Excuse me. I am an uber extrovert and very, very, good at both my jobs and at school. Just because you are outgoing does not mean you are incompetent. That being said, the bottom line is 'can you do the job well'. If you are good at your job, you do not have to be an extrovert, your work will speak for itself. If you want to rise into admin jobs, you have to be an extrovert, the job kind of requires that. If you just want a raise and to be the best at the job you currently have, extrover/introvert should make no difference.

I just don't like getting caught up in workplace politics, whether or not I'm seen as an "introvert" or an "extrovert". I don't like unnecessary, time-wasting confrontation, but I will stand up for myself or those working on my project. I think though that workplace culture and politics may be a separate discussion. You have to deal with that even in the best of environments, and the ability to play along with those aspects regardless of whether you're outgoing or shy may determine favoritism or advancement over one's accomplishments.

I am an introvert that ACTS extraverted when necessary. I am in an admin position that requires a lot of public contact. I have a personality for that. It's bubbly and distinctly southern. Then, when the people go away and I'm not talking on the phone, I go into intense introvert mode where I don't hear or see other people.

It's true, extraverts talk up a big game about how great they are, but most I've found are all talk, no show. It doesn't matter. You could lie your butt off, and no one cares, because in America, extraversion is like currency. It makes people feel liked and special, so they flock to these types.

How do I do well? My boss is an extravert, but I think he's a little like me- it's a show, and he has a part to play. How do I know? He NEVER talks about his home life, his family, his hobbies- nothing. It's all business. I like this about him, and I suspect he senses my introvertedness and understands me. I don't have to talk a big game to him. I can say, "Yeah, a client gave me a compliment today. They are really nice." and that's enough for him to know that I'm doing a great job. A lot of my job is hands-on though. He knows I'm doing good work because he has all the files he needs, I know what's going on with most clients, and I have a to-do list to check off every day.

I guess, if you can find an introverted boss, that would be perfect. If you can't (and I think he might be my first introverted boss), then get your 'perky' hat, and play the part. It's the only way to get recognized for your contribution.

There are clumsy extroverts just as there are skilled ones, so extroversion itself isn't the point.

You may want to research a term called 'soft skills' to learn the difference between demonstrating that you are good with people and work well with others versus 'kissing butt'. Soft skills are considered by HR teams to be as valuable as technical skills depending on where one wishes to be on their career ladder.

If you enjoy your current role and don't wish to break beyond it, then soft skills may be less important to you than to someone who wants to grow. However, soft skilled people are the ones more likely to be kept in lean times during layoffs, as this skill set is about developing perceptual relationships with people. People are the decision-makers, not some imaginary bot that counts output.

You can have the best product in the world, but if you don't market it, nobody knows about it and it will not outsell any competition that invests in a reasonable marketing plan.

Archived