Work as a career counselor/advisor?

Double J

I feel for you. Your a lot like me. I've noticed that you've created a ton of threads about pursuing a different job field because like me you dislike the corporate world. I'm sorry that things are not working out with your current career.

I think career counseling would be a decent career, but the pay is not very good.

I worked at a Career Counselling Centre when I was in university. I updated the career files. This job totally screwed me up....when I started there I was working towards a career in Speech-Language Pathology. I knew what I wanted to do. At this job I learned so much about other careers, I felt overwhelmed by all the options I hadn't known about it....Now here I am, too overwhelmed with my options to do anything..ugh.

But to actually respond to your question there were 2 kinds of counsellors in our office: Psychologist and Counsellors.

The counsellors had no education for counselling, usually BA's. They were not paid very well, and the work was not very challenging. I woudn't recommend it.

Archived