Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your "let's be honest" statement judged the meaning of marriage generally -thanks for clarifying that you didn't mean it that way. I completely disagree that the only difference is a piece of paper and I didn't write that or mean that - sorry if I wasn't clear. Many people who live together have a legal commitment (like domestic partnerships) and have a big party to celebrate their commitment (both hetero and honosexuals). I did not condemn you in the least-I asked what you thought gave you the justification to judge marriage generally. I don't think LT couples make the same vows as married people especially married people who have religious ceremonies.

It will be interesting to see if you think the only difference is a piece of paper after you are married. My guess is no but who knows.

Your "let's be honest" statement judged the meaning of marriage generally -thanks for clarifying that you didn't mean it that way. I completely disagree that the only difference is a piece of paper and I didn't write that or mean that - sorry if I wasn't clear. Many people who live together have a legal commitment (like domestic partnerships) and have a big party to celebrate their commitment (both hetero and honosexuals). I did not condemn you in the least-I asked what you thought gave you the justification to judge marriage generally. I don't think LT couples make the same vows as married people especially married people who have religious ceremonies.

It will be interesting to see if you think the only difference is a piece of paper after you are married. My guess is no but who knows.

I don't believe my views will change. To say that LT couples don't make the same vows as married couples is a judgemental statement, IMO. All marriage vows are is vowing - in front of loved ones - to love, honor, cherish, and stay faithful to that person. Last time I checked those were the very same principles people build relationships on. So no, in my eyes LT couples are the same as married, the only difference is married have legal rights - and more so than common law marriages. Is there an emotional connect when getting married? Sure, it's about taking that next step but just because a couples doesn't take that next step doesn't mean they don't hold the same 'vows' in their own relationshp.

I don't believe my views will change. To say that LT couples don't make the same vows as married couples is a judgemental statement, IMO. All marriage vows are is vowing - in front of loved ones - to love, honor, cherish, and stay faithful to that person. Last time I checked those were the very same principles people build relationships on. So no, in my eyes LT couples are the same as married, the only difference is married have legal rights - and more so than common law marriages.

I don't think it's judgmental but factual. Sure some LT couples might have commitment ceremonies where they make public vows but if they don't take marital vows before someone who can perform a marriage then by definition they are not taking the same vows.

I don't think it's judgmental but factual. Sure some LT couples might have commitment ceremonies where they make public vows but if they don't take marital vows before someone who can perform a marriage then by definition they are not taking the same vows.

It has nothing to do with actually saying the vows and having a ceremony, you are putting the entire definition of marriage and vows under the definiition of you have to take these certain vows and have a ceremony... before your husband and you married did you not have an understand to stay faithful to one another? Did you not already cherish, love, and honor each other? I assume so. Just because those vows are not spoken publicly in front of someone does not mean they are not taken within the relationship. Every relationship has it's own vows - open relationship, monogramous, whatever - they don't have to spoken out loud.

I think OG means in the sense of living as one... of making those vows to be together without saying it. Those vows of marriage ARE what a normal relationship should have, otherwise it isn't really a relationship at all - but hey, thats my opinion.

Thank you my love for clairifing.

I hope so.. no lie, we are paying about $100 for him to stay in a hotel as near to the airport as we can get him to put my mind at ease. He'll go up the day before, spend the night, then catch his morning flight. I am taking NO chances this time...

I've stayed in hostels in London. That could be a cheaper option.

I think OG means in the sense of living as one... of making those vows to be together without saying it. Those vows of marriage ARE what a normal relationship should have, otherwise it isn't really a relationship at all - but hey, thats my opinion.

Right and I disagree what makes a long term relationship normal - there's a whole range of normal -some promise each other to be together forever, some don't, some have conditions on the relationship and that's their business. But if you take marital vows before someone who can perform a marriage you make specific promises that might or might not be made or relevant to a long term relationship. It's fine if you don't consider a relationship normal if they don't promise to be together till they die - I would find that judgmental but you're entitled to your opinion.

I've stayed in hostels in London. That could be a cheaper option.

Honestly at this point I don't care about the cost... the one we are looking at ti's literally right next to the aiprot. Short of him getting run over by a bus or car *knock on wood* he'll get there at least.

Yes it's expensive Annie, that's because it's on the grounds of the North Terminal at Gatwick. I'll have a 5 minute walk to check in, which elimates not getting there! I wont lie, part of the reason is that I get to spend the afternoon indulging my passion for aviation and watching planes

Right and I disagree what makes a long term relationship normal - there's a whole range of normal -some promise each other to be together forever, some don't, some have conditions on the relationship and that's their business. But if you take marital vows before someone who can perform a marriage you make specific promises that might or might not be made or relevant to a long term relationship. It's fine if you don't consider a relationship normal if they don't promise to be together till they die - I would find that judgmental but you're entitled to your opinion.

Luckily, my opinion is my own - if you find it judgemental it is ultimatly your problem, and since my views mirror that of my future wife, I think we're set.

I think every relationship - aside from an open relationship - has the basic understanding of being faithful and loving someone. Just because you take marriage vows does not mean you will be togehter forever.

Yes it's expensive Annie, that's because it's on the grounds of the North Terminal at Gatwick. I'll have a 5 minute walk to check in, which elimates not getting there! I wont lie, part of the reason is that I get to spend the afternoon indulging my passion for aviation and watching planes

that's cool.

I do remember when I stayed at hostels in london, it was about 35 pounds for one night (and that was 10 years ago!!) and then i had to take a bus to the airport.... so yes, it's much nicer to be a 5 minute walk and not have to worry.

that's cool.

I do remember when I stayed at hostels in london, it was about 35 pounds for one night (and that was 10 years ago!!) and then i had to take a bus to the airport.... so yes, it's much nicer to be a 5 minute walk and not have to worry.

And he gets to watch planes take off. He's not complaining about that.

LOL I can so see you and OG spending half your time at or near the airport when she moves over!

We ended up not cleaning the kitchen tonight - yay! - apparently everyone needed a break. Thank God, I don't know if I could have done tonight and Wednesday night AND Thursday night possibly. :s Work wasn't too bad. I had help tonight - and should have help during the week every night but we shall see how that pans out day to day....

Two major things happened at work. Well, I say major but one is just funny. The serious thing is we have someone stealing stuff. Last Thursday a nurse's purse was stolen - and later found at the local grocery store, minus her wallet - and she is THE sweetest lady. She's my favorite nurse by far. She had her purse under the nurses station and the way it's situated the ONLY way to see behind it - and underneath it - is to be directly BEHIND it. Someone just walking past couldn't see back behind their so we assumed it had to be someone that was working that night. Then the next night a nurse's wallet was stolen on another floor along with her jacket. We are convinced it's someone who works second shift because on the top floor the ONLY way to know were that jacket was hanging is to be working here. I didn't even know it existed until about four months ago! Not cool, at all.

The funny thing... there is a CNA on one my floors that has a cat. Well, a few nights ago she found a kitten outside of work and wanted to take it home and adopt it. Sweet thought and she said the kitten was SO loving. It would just lay on it's back and let you pet it. Well, she got home and her cat she already had FLIPPED. And when I say flip, I mean the cat caused her bodily harm. She was on her bed with the kitten in her arms and her older cat came up and just started attacking her head. Her ear needed stiches!!! And there were claw marks on her face and arms... I felt so bad for her and it really wasn't funny but as we are standing there and she's telling me this I am trying my best not to laugh. She sees this and instantly starts laughing herself which only sets me off.

It's not funny but really.. how often do you hear about someone's cat attacking them?!

CS and I only exchanged about 10 or 15 emails today. I hate the first Tuesday of the month. He has this meeting thing he has to do so instead of the normal 50-60 we send throughout the day, we barely communicate because he's busy with the meeting. Damn meetings...

Archived