Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

I've missed international flights as well. what CS needs to do is go to the airport, be calm, don't yell at the people behind the desk, but have them rebook him on the next flight out. it might be a different route, ie, he might be flying through canada or mexico or minneapolis or some really weird route, but he needs to do that. i also actually had to pay $500 !!! so, sometimes it happens. i am ultra paranoid when it comes to flights so i get to the airport about 4 hours early for an international flight. i'd rather be bored at the terminal than freaking out in traffic.

big hugs. i hope he gets there very soon.

They earliest flight they could book him on was Friday and they wanted $200. He didn't take it. He left in plenty of time to get there (he always gets there 3 hours before the flight leaves) it was just the worst case of * * * * ing luck ever. and I mean ever.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They earliest flight they could book him on was Friday and they wanted $200. He didn't take it. He left in plenty of time to get there (he always gets there 3 hours before the flight leaves) it was just the worst case of * * * * ing luck ever. and I mean ever.

Honestly, i would have taken that offer. it's just delaying the wedding a few days. yes things are cut short, but at least you still get married and have the honeymoon. when i missed my international flight, i had to stay 2 extra days in madrid. it wasn't all bad.

I just don't understand why he didn't pay the $200if the alternative is waiting another 8 months to see each other and get married?? Also, you can get flights that connect thru anywhere, or if he has to, fly into somewhere else and take a bus to where you are... missed planes happen all the time, and if he really intends to see you and go thru with the wedding, you can find a way to get him here.

If he paid the $200 he would have had to stay at the airport (or near by), which would have meant in a hotel. That would have cost all of our spending money (whcih in essence was food money) so financially it makes more sense to just cancel this trip, get the money back from his ticket through the insurance company, and me fly out in May or June. Yes for a shorter amount of time (depending on how many PTO days I incur between now and then) but fiancially, it makes more sense. No need for him to fly over if we have no money to eat on or to put gas in the car to get around. :s It sucks but sometimes when life throws you a curve ball you have to grab it and turn with it, even if it's not the way you wanted to go...

I finally stopped crying. Pretty sure there are no tears left, lol. I'm okay right now. I guess numb would be the word but I dunno. I talked to my uncle (my father figure) and between him and CS they made me feel better. It sucks and it feels like the end of the world now but it's not. Just one more bump we will have over come together. We have a week and a half off work, both of us, and while I would have rather spent it with him here kind of have to roll with the punches. At least we will get a lot of movie watching done.

I know it doesn't help at the moment but when you're married and a few years down the line you'll be able to laugh at this and see how much you've come through and will be able to appreciate eachother more because you've had to work harder. Where is he now? Has he got to the airport?

I know you guys both have a limited time off of work, but if he came on friday, maybe your bosses will take sympathy on you as well and give you a few extra days off? (and then you work in the meantime)

Mine is unmoveable unfortunately. I have to turn in my PTO days that I'm using before I take them (like a week in advanced) so I won't be able to move mine. I'm sure his is moveable (not sure) but we still have the whole no spending money thing.

Well even if your time off is normally unmoveable I could see a boss making an exception in this case - or surely you can talk to your coworkers and get them to change shifts with you? I mean these are exceptional circumstances, and people are usually understanding.

Can you not put the $200 on a credit card or withdraw from savings? I would usually not recommend that, but to get married ... seems totally reasonable and worth it.

That I'm not sure. lol

Was gonna say I'm impressed with National Express if it was with them, had a nightmare with them a few times when I visited my best friend, almost died a few times Aww that's nice for the guy to offer to bring him back for free!

Well even if your time off is normally unmoveable I could see a boss making an exception in this case - or surely you can talk to your coworkers and get them to change shifts with you? I mean these are exceptional circumstances, and people are usually understanding.

Yeah that won't happen. My co worker and I (there are only two of us that work night) hate each other. She was already not thrilled about having to work all nights while I was gone (I'm the normal night person, she's suppose to help me every now and then but doesn't). And I already talked to my boss, she said if the decision were up to her she would find a way to move my PTO around but the final say comes from those sitting in expensive suits in the front office and they were a no go.

Could you just find some things to do together that wouldn't cost much? And cook instead of eating out etc? Just so you could spend some time together?

Well the hotel rooms we had didn't have anything to cook with (except a microwave). He's already filed the insurance claim so we have pretty much cancelled this trip and will work on planning the next one. It sucks, royally, but without both of us going broke in trying to get him over here for less time, we could get the money back from his plane ticket and I can def. incur a good amount of PTO days by the time we are thinking to possibly stay 4-5 days, even if he has to work a few of those.

Mine is unmoveable unfortunately. I have to turn in my PTO days that I'm using before I take them (like a week in advanced) so I won't be able to move mine. I'm sure his is moveable (not sure) but we still have the whole no spending money thing.

what has happened to the ticket he has?

Archived