Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you looking to take a progesterone-only pill or IUD? Mirena IUD is progesterone-only.

If you're looking at the progesterone-only pill, just be warned that unlike estrogen birth control pills, progesterone pills need to be taken RELIGIOUSLY at the exact time every single day. Okay, it need to be within a 3 hour window, so yeah, it's pretty short.

Apparently because I have an autoimmune disorder my chances of blot cots are increased if I take estrogen/progesterone birth control so my doctor is recommending progesterone only.

I'm hoping to go on progesterone only pills Fudgie. I really don't want to do an IUD and my doctor isn't crazy about it since I've not had kids yet. However she also suggested the shot every three months. It's just basically what is going to be the cheapest option to go.

I saw that, apparently you can feel it through your arm and, over here at least, they won't let you remove it for at least one year unless you suffering bad physical side effects. Since I've suffered some sort of side effect for each method I've tried, I wasn't willing to risk it.

There is a mini pill that has a 12 hour window, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head but I have some at home... Somewhere.

I had the implanon rod in my arm. It was nothing. Yea you could feel it but not bad. Removal was easy too. I have a teeny scar on it and it took 10 minutes for the doctor to remove.

It made my periods all out of sync but otherwise wasn't bad. I'm anti any birth control now at this point though.

I'd recommend implanon.

I guess the one pro of going with the arm implant is that you'd pay once for the implant and no more. I do enjoy not paying for pills after my IUD. But even the shot would be pretty convenient and probably cheap. And it's nice to not have to worry about taking it in a small time window.

I'm glad you have options. Risk of blood clots and DVT is why I went off my pill too. You will figure something out!

M, did you still have a period every month with it?

It's really all down to cost for us. Not only do I need to go off estrogen, I can't have high levels of it because it will make me sick the next morning. Which is why I love Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I've been on BC since I was 15 and it's the first I found that I didn't have to eat right when I took it. But to continue on it would cost us $95 a month with insurance plus, I really shouldn't. So whatever is the cheapest method otherwise we will probably go with.

The doctor did say the implant is really most cost efficient in the long run. It's good for three years but we can take it out at any time (since we do want kids before then perhaps). So if it costs us $300 to do that vs say $150 every three months for a shot, the implant would be cheaper long term.

Sounds like the Implant would definitely be cheaper. My insurance covers BC so I paid $45 to see the gyno and that included my IUD insertion. Insurance will definitely take out a chunk of the cost.

I would look into the amount of hormone secretion but you may find that it's quite low with the implant. The hormone leaks out quite slow and in tiny amounts and that's why it can last so long.

Not taking a pill is awesome!

Sent from Tapatalk

I paid $750 for my implant (insurance at the time didn't cover it) and it was good for 3 years, but I wore it longer. So $21 a monthish.

I still had periods but they were all over the place. Light though. But I've always had irregular periods, even now with no birth control whatsoever.

Yeah we def couldn't afford that if our insurance chooses not to cover it! I'd really like to stay on the pill because it's what I know but I'm open to try other avenues. I'd be interested to see if I go the implant route if mine become irregular as well even though I've always been regular.

The IUD is fine if you haven't had kids, that's just a silly myth, but I know you cringed at my tale of woe so you probably don't want one... it is getting better though, and the best part about it is that there's no maintenance, no chance of forgetting anything, and it's a one time charge. I don't have to renew a prescription or pay anything for up to five years.

I'm not so sure about the implant. I've had friends on it who absolutely hated it... gained weight light crazy, it irritated the site where it was embedded etc...

Regardless, whatever you switch to, your periods are probably going to change a bit as your body adjusts.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about periods. There will be an adjustment period but you will be okay. that is true of any new hormonal therapy. Things just need to adjust.

I understand why some doctors are scared to put in IUDs in women who haven't had kids. It's mostly due to fear that started many years ago with a faulty IUD that is long gone now but caused a lot of lawsuits. Americans are kind of scared of them now. I am glad I got mine though.

It sounds like the Implant could be a great solution for you. Probably would be cheaper than the shot. And an added bonus would be that you don't have to go in every few months. I am good about seeing the doctor but I'll admit, making appointments and having to work my schedule around them is so annoying!

Sent from Tapatalk

Will your insurance cover anything?

Doesn't it have to at this point? At least some of it?

(not being political here) the new healthcare plan is in effect for the US and one of the provisions is that health insurance needs to cover birth control for women. So in 2013, many insurances had to scrap old plans and offer new ones that met the new requirements.

Sent from Tapatalk

I keep hearing that from people that their BC cost is going wayyyyy up even on insurance which is ridiculous IMO. I had the nuvaring (hated it) and then I got mirena immediately after Payton was born, I have no complaints. I was lucky and insurance covered the entire thing which is surprising because it wasn't a great policy. I can understand your hesitation with an IUD, but they do have that hormone free one which I've heard good things about.

Sent from my iPad using link removed

I'm just very uneasy about the IUD. Sherry's experience really did a number on me, hahah. Seriously though, even L doesn't like the IUD option. If I were to stay on my current BC it would cost us $95 a month but the insurance classifies it as a level 3 drug and it's brand name. So that's why it's so freaking high.

Archived