Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh*

My mom just asked me when I would be flying back (after moving). I guess she thought I'd be back within a year or would be able to fly over x amount of times a year but I had to put her down on that one. I doubt I'll be back until about 3-4 years after I move. We have so much to pay for (my ILR visa after being there 2 years, getting my UK license, driving lessons, stuff for L's job, a nest egg for when I'm out on maternity leave) and at SOME point during all that we'd like to start a family! On top of that neither of us want the kids to fly until they are about 2 years old... I don't think she was happy.

Well, don't feel guilty about it.. there may be a time in the more distant future when the visits can be more frequent. Until then .. maybe she could learn to use Skype? I know it's not the same.. but it's better than a telephone..

Oddly enough I don't feel guilty. Strange isn't it? I mean I'll miss her... I'm going to teach her how to use it before I move. she knew I wouldn't be able to come back so soon after moving - she still maintains a year after I move we will be back here - I had to gently tell her tonight that even if I were to want to, we couldn't afford to that soon after moving. Because that helps, right?

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want your kids to fly until they are at least 2 yrs old?

L and I don't want to put the baby through the pressure changes you have to go through (like with your ears popping and such) which to a baby they don't know whats going on and therefore are going to vocalize it the only way they know how - cry. And that's not fair to the other passengers having to listen to a poor kid cry because they can't do anything else. By about 2 they can verbally understand you and you can easier sooth the process of flying.

Archived