Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

link removed

Basically tomatoes, herbs and mince meat with spaghetti.

Really good.

I'm lazy, so I just use NZ tomato sauce with mince meat to add to the spaghetti plus it caters to my basic palette.= aver adding onions, herbs an whatever is supposed to go into the traditional bolognese sauce.

Ah! I don't like a lot of stuff with my spahgetti - as strange as that sounds! - I love having meat balls but that's as much meat as I want when I'm eating spaghetti. I love it with it's just noodles and sauce with some bread and meatballs on the side.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm one of those people who do not like too many things mixed as well.

Noodles and sauce is a new one to me.

When I think of noodles I think of New Zealand's, Ramen equivalent which comes with a small sachet of flavouring.

Yeah not those noodles, but like the traditional spahgetti ones - what do you guys call them there?

Yeah not those noodles, but like the traditional spahgetti ones - what do you guys call them there?

I don't know

I know we have Chinese noodles which are not spaghetti like nor Ramen.

Buffalo sauce.....

Is that the same as Barbeque sauce?

May not be available over here as we do not have any Buffalos over here.

If you ask for noodles here you'll get Chinese egg noodles! Spaghetti is spaghetti and pasta is everythin else pasta shaped! Oh and as for the great British cookbook, apparently tw most common foods to have at least once a week here are spaghetti bolognaise and chicken tikka masala, nom nom!

superfox have people in England always eaten spaghetti? My in-laws left England about 52 years ago and they have never eaten it. In fact they despise it. They never had it as kids, never wanted it as adults and never gave it to their kids either. So my husband never had spaghetti till he met me at 19/20 years old. All they ate was typically "English" stuff.

That is what I am thinking CS. Because my in-laws were born in the early 1930's. and they had left England in 1960. So it was probably not common then.
It wasn't. In fact in 1957 a show called Panorama, a serious news show, had a segment on the spaghetti harvest in Italy, showing workers on spaghetti farms, harvesting lengths of spaghetti from the trees in the spaghetti orchards. link removed

These days pasta is a staple food in England for many people.

My mum made it for us in the 70's but it wasn't great! And in the 80's my friends and I or my bf and I would always go to Italian restaurants. And this was in a small northern town too so as far as I've ever known pasta has Always been in my life!

OMG that is hilarious DN. Wow.

My father-in-law used to go back to England every 2 to 5 years because all his siblings are there but he has not gone in about 10 years now because he said it is not "English" enough for him anymore. He said he could not find good ole fish and chips wrapped in newspaper to save his life. Plus his brother sold the family's London house where all the kids were born and moved to Littlehampton.

Yeah, my father in law insists they are not the real deal without the newspaper.....lol.... also he said too you could find every food in the world other than English food and he wasn't eating THAT. So he will stay in Canada and eat at a traditional English pub or have his wife make English food.......lol

Archived