Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

Today has been the travel day from H!

We packed last night and were up at 8 this morning to take everything down to the car. Then we grabbed breakfast and were on the road by 9:30. 20 minutes into our drive out of Myrtle Beach my low coolant light came on so we pulled over and sure enough, it was pretty freaking low. Last time I checked it was when we arrived in Myrtle Beach and it was still full. And considering I had just replaced my radiator what, last week? L noticed it was kind of dripping while we were sat there so an hour and a half later we stopped and yep - the coolant was almost out again, which means there's a leak some were. F. We put more in and about an hour and a half later while going down I-20 the low coolant light came on again. We pulled off, filled it up, and used the last of my anti-freeze. Great, right? So we were in the process of looking for a Walmart when I stumbled accross a Advanced Auto Zone and managed to get some anti-freeze from there. Oddly enough after that we never needed to put any back in. >.

So we left out at 9:30 and didn't pull into my town until 5. We checked into the hotel, get to the room... and it's not the room I reserved. the bed is a full bed and has no wifi at all. I go down to talk to the woman and she sends us to the other hotel right next door (same man owns them). She tells me everything is fine since she already ran my card. We get over here and she's up here having refunded my money but - here's the kicker - it takes 3-4 days for that refund to go back into my account. then the new hotel needed to take out funds for the room but because the first transaction had ran, there wasn't enough in my account and if they had ran it, it would have over drafted me.

>

Horrible, long day.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh I hope it gets better for you. The same hotel dilemma happened to Jared on. Business trip recently. They don't make it easy on travellers at all.

They really don't. thankfully the manager said to use the original authorization number so what came out is considered for this room. Still, it was a pain.

It may have been said, but when do you see your husband again?

And it will be in his home Country right?

hopefully the beginning of Oct next year. With everything we have to pay for - my visa ($1,000), my cat ($1,300), my plane ticket ($1,000 at min), and getting a house (rented) - we just can't afford another trip. We both agreed we would rather do the whole year thing again knowing at the end of it, we won't ever have to do it again. Sacrifice in the short term for the long haul and all. But yeah, next time I see him will be when I move to England.

Wow money makes things tough!

Well the laws, paper work, etc etc put in place.....

I wanted to get a conservatory put up out the back of the house.

$700 just for consent!

Yeah, money and laws def make it hard. we can't even apply for the visa until July-beignning Aug since L doesn't reach the weekly income requirment until his promotion in April - but then we have to show 3 months of THAT promotion pay before applying. >.

hopefully the beginning of Oct next year. With everything we have to pay for - my visa ($1,000), my cat ($1,300), my plane ticket ($1,000 at min), and getting a house (rented) - we just can't afford another trip. We both agreed we would rather do the whole year thing again knowing at the end of it, we won't ever have to do it again. Sacrifice in the short term for the long haul and all. But yeah, next time I see him will be when I move to England.

Just out of curiosity, why does the cat cost so much? I'm going to be bringing my kitty when I move in with my LD boyfriend this coming December, but apart from the plane ticket and a health certificate, I don't think there will be any other costs associated with it. I'm hoping to keep the move under $400.

Just out of curiosity, why does the cat cost so much? I'm going to be bringing my kitty when I move in with my LD boyfriend this coming December, but apart from the plane ticket and a health certificate, I don't think there will be any other costs associated with it. I'm hoping to keep the move under $400.

If your moving to another country, good luck with keeping it under $400. the $1,300 is my cat's plane ticket. Nothing else - that's not including having a microchipped down, vaccination, the other requirments - if your flying him internationall - to the UK at least - animals can't enter the UK via the cabin, they have to fly cargo, and cargo is done by weight. My 15 lbs. cat cost $680 to fly and then $730 handling fee in the UK. If your flying within a country it's less (since the US allows cats to travel via cabin and that ticket is normally $200).

Jasper is lucky to have you, OG. I know many owners wouldn't be willing to pay that. At least this is a one-way ticket.

Thank you Fudgie. A lot of people have said, 'I would just get another cat!' but there IS no cat like Jasper, you know? He's my child. And L has fallen abo * * * * ely in love with Jasper and after a gulp when I told him the price he said, 'Bring him. Doesn't matter.'

Nooo! You can't just get another cat. He's very special to you. You're right, there's not another Jasper. I can't believe people would say that.

I'm glad L is in love with him.

I think I'm turning him onto cats in general really. He's already picked out our next type of cat - Egyptian Mau - and named him. we like to plan in advance, apparently, lol

Exactly. People wouldn't just leave their kids behind because they cost to much to fly!

"I would just get another kid!"

Kidding.

I'm glad you're turning him onto cats. They are great pets. They are very independent. When I get my own place come this summer, I will wait a few months until I'm settled and then look into having a cat. Most places allow them and I can be at work all day and the kitty will have food, water, shelter, and a litterbox so I don't have to worry while I'm gone!

I miss having a kitty so much since the only cat I ever had died 4 years ago. I still miss him. It's easy to dismiss cats until you fall in love with one (or more) and then you'd do anything for them.

If your moving to another country, good luck with keeping it under $400. the $1,300 is my cat's plane ticket. Nothing else - that's not including having a microchipped down, vaccination, the other requirments - if your flying him internationall - to the UK at least - animals can't enter the UK via the cabin, they have to fly cargo, and cargo is done by weight. My 15 lbs. cat cost $680 to fly and then $730 handling fee in the UK. If your flying within a country it's less (since the US allows cats to travel via cabin and that ticket is normally $200).

Wow, that's insane. I'm flying my cat internationally on Air Canada, in the baggage compartment (not cargo) as I can't have her in the cabin with me and her ticket costs $270. I'll have to take to the vet, about 30 days before flying. Then I have to check her in a pet resort as I'm making a 2 night layover and got a great deal on that. I hope there isn't anything else that I'm missing, but now I'm not so sure...

Anna,

As long as you've checked the laws to see what you need to do in terms of moving there with a cat, then that's all you need. Of course, you'll probably have to get her registered over there and that may be some additional fees. Do you just need the vet visit and that's it? If the shots are all up to date, health is good, and the law doesn't require anything else, then I don't tihnk you need anything else.

Wow, that's insane. I'm flying my cat internationally on Air Canada, in the baggage compartment (not cargo) as I can't have her in the cabin with me and her ticket costs $270. I'll have to take to the vet, about 30 days before flying. Then I have to check her in a pet resort as I'm making a 2 night layover and got a great deal on that. I hope there isn't anything else that I'm missing, but now I'm not so sure...

I would google PETS scheme and see if it applies to the country you are flying too. Depending on what months you are flying there could even be a heat embargo. Really all depends on where you are flying too. Euorpe goes by the PETS scheme but some select countries outside Europe do it as well.

Archived