Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

That might flip me out all on it's own.......lol.

And all this crap because I got slammed in the mouth with a swing when I was 8.

you'll be ok. they'll first let you get used to it, ask how you are feeling, before they even start doing anything. i had to have that wedge thing in my mouth because there was NO WAY i was in control enough to follow commands.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, i know how to make that. lol. 8" and 12" should be fine then. i'm guessing a lot of people will be there who haven't replied yet.

Dammit Annie, you need to live closer to me! I'll def tell the cake person at Walmart that. I'm sure they will, although I hope they don't expect to be fed. They are welcome to come and everything but we are only buying for the number of RSVPs I get.

I would ask for a sample before buying a cake. make sure you like it. will you do it with fondant or without?

I hadn't even thought of that (either asking for a sample or fondont). Is fondant used in that picture I posted? If so I want to but I can honestly say I have never tasted it before.

Oh yeah, I know how you feel. I had heard you can easily get an infection from a root canal so I was just going to have them pull it but it's in the very front of my mouth. I'm very vain, lol

I had this root canal when I was 8 so it has been a long time. I ran behind someone swinging in the park and got slammed in the mouth with the swing. It killed the tooth outright. But she thinks the root shaft has a fracture and she has already seen an extensive infection where I am losing bone, but I don't feel infections. So I am on antibiotics now in preparation for the operation and I have also have a corticosteriod to start before the operation tomorrow to avoid swelling. I have a rinse I have to use to disinfect my gums three times a day and some Percocet. So this whole thing is like a nightmare. Then I have to go back in 7 days for her to check it and remove the stitches that did not come out on their own.

you'll be ok. they'll first let you get used to it, ask how you are feeling, before they even start doing anything. i had to have that wedge thing in my mouth because there was NO WAY i was in control enough to follow commands.

I am hoping it goes well.

I had this root canal when I was 8 so it has been a long time. I ran behind someone swinging in the park and got slammed in the mouth with the swing. It killed the tooth outright. But she thinks the root shaft has a fracture and she has already seen an extensive infection where I am losing bone, but I don't feel infections. So I am on antibiotics now in preparation for the operation and I have also have a corticosteriod to start before the operation tomorrow to avoid swelling. I have a rinse I have to use to disinfect my gums three times a day and some Percocet. So this whole thing is like a nightmare. Then I have to go back in 7 days for her to check it and remove the stitches that did not come out on their own.

Yikes. The dentist said mine wasn't infected but that there was dead tissue and it needed taken care of ASAP - which I told him couldn't happen until after the wedding due to money.

I hadn't even thought of that (either asking for a sample or fondont). Is fondant used in that picture I posted? If so I want to but I can honestly say I have never tasted it before.

oh yeah. i don't know about walmart, but i bet other places will let you have a taste of the buttercream and cake you are interested in. if they don't, at least buy the smallest version of that cake you can so you can try it and make sure you like it.

fondant is more expensive, but it looks nice. it gives that satiny covering to a cake that makes it look polished. it's not delicious, no one likes it, you have to peel it off. it has no taste, just a gummy texture. if someone's buttercream work is good, they can make it look smooth and polished as well.

Yikes. The dentist said mine wasn't infected but that there was dead tissue and it needed taken care of ASAP - which I told him couldn't happen until after the wedding due to money.

Yeah, I would be careful. People can die from teeth related infections. My great grandmother died that way at 29. She left 8 kids behind and one who was 3 days old and oldest was 11. If she can fix my tooth then she has to cut all the infection out.............yippers.

oh yeah. i don't know about walmart, but i bet other places will let you have a taste of the buttercream and cake you are interested in. if they don't, at least buy the smallest version of that cake you can so you can try it and make sure you like it.

fondant is more expensive, but it looks nice. it gives that satiny covering to a cake that makes it look polished. it's not delicious, no one likes it, you have to peel it off. it has no taste, just a gummy texture. if someone's buttercream work is good, they can make it look smooth and polished as well.

I'll def keep that in mind, thanks Annie! I'm having to go to my hometown to do the cake so I think what I may do is hit a few other stores like Publix and what not and look at prices and tastes. I know for a 2 tier Walmart charges about $90.

Buttercream is different than normal like cake icing, right?

Yeah, I would be careful. People can die from teeth related infections. My great grandmother died that way at 29. She left 8 kids behind and one who was 3 days old and oldest was 11. If she can fix my tooth then she has to cut all the infection out.............yippers.

I know. I never would have known if I hadn't went in for a free clean. He said it wasn't pressing but that it needed to be taken care of, so I'm guessing it hasn't reached infection stage but it is dead.

I'll def keep that in mind, thanks Annie! I'm having to go to my hometown to do the cake so I think what I may do is hit a few other stores like Publix and what not and look at prices and tastes. I know for a 2 tier Walmart charges about $90.

Buttercream is different than normal like cake icing, right?

Eh, i guess it depends. Many people don't like typical store bought cakes because they're made with crisco and powdered sugar which can give it a gritty taste. I make an italian meringue buttercream that is super smooth and silky. butter and egg whites and sugar! i'd just try it and make sure you enjoy it. Does the $90 include decorations?

Eh, i guess it depends. Many people don't like typical store bought cakes because they're made with crisco and powdered sugar which can give it a gritty taste. I make an italian meringue buttercream that is super smooth and silky. butter and egg whites and sugar! i'd just try it and make sure you enjoy it. Does the $90 include decorations?

Yeah. Well, the only thing I would want them to do is a dark blue ribbon like thing like in the pic, I'm going to put the fake daisy heads kind of like in that picture on myself. Simply because I'm a control freak and don't trust anyone else to do it, lol

I'm wondering if it would just be cheaper to make it ourselves tbh....

Cakes can be pretty expensive. It may be cheaper to do it yourself.

Please make sure you like it and it tastes good. I've been to weddings where the cake *looks* beautiful but it tastes...nasty. I mean, yuck. Just little to no taste and not good.

I would take a pretty AND tasty cake over a GAWGEOUS one that doesn't taste good.

Fondent is pretty gross but people use it a lot because it is easy to mold and it makes it look pretty. But then you have to peel it off before you eat it...yuck.

I don't know. I'm confident that it's possible to make a beautiful AND tasty cake without any of that gross fondent.

Cakes can be pretty expensive. It may be cheaper to do it yourself.

Please make sure you like it and it tastes good. I've been to weddings where the cake *looks* beautiful but it tastes...nasty. I mean, yuck. Just little to no taste and not good.

I would take a pretty AND tasty cake over a GAWGEOUS one that doesn't taste good.

Fondent is pretty gross but people use it a lot because it is easy to mold and it makes it look pretty. But then you have to peel it off before you eat it...yuck.

I don't know. I'm confident that it's possible to make a beautiful AND tasty cake without any of that gross fondent.

rotf - your GAWGEOUS line had me cracking Fugie.

My mom took a cake making class years ago, she can do like roses and little baby booties. All she would have to do is the ribbon thing around the bottom layers. Hm. I may have to make a trip up early than a month before and taste their cakes to see if we are getting it from there or if we will be better of doing it ourselves. For me I don't care if the icing is the same as a birthday cake icing - just as long as our cake topper stands on it!

I'll tell you, I just got finished making a wedding cake for a friend (i think maybe you can see some of the photos on facebook). It was a 2 tier cake for a 25 person party (they're saving the top tier). It came out to about $44 (6" and 10"). Granted, I already own all the right materials, cake pans, etc.... I also used organic ingredients though, so that can make a difference.

I'll tell you, I just got finished making a wedding cake for a friend (i think maybe you can see some of the photos on facebook). It was a 2 tier cake for a 25 person party (they're saving the top tier). It came out to about $44 (6" and 10"). Granted, I already own all the right materials, cake pans, etc.... I also used organic ingredients though, so that can make a difference.

It was the one with the daisy flowers, right?

I'm serious Annie, maybe we can like bribe a Fed Ex guy for you to do our cake.

I know I can get pans pretty cheap at Walmart and I know my mom can MAKES cakes very well. I'm just wondering, do I really want to be baking a cake the night before my wedding?

I'm not sure. That's up to you. I think the cake baking will be a bit stressful and I'm not sure if you want to do that the night before your wedding. You need your rest!

Is is possible for you to enlist the help of your mom or other family/friends to do the cake? I mean, they can actually MAKE the cake and frosting and put it all together. You can come in and do most of the decorating to your liking, so you'll have control over that. The cake and frosting part, you don't actually have to do yourself.

lol- i'm too afraid the cake wouldn't make it in the shipping.

now - i took the Wilton method class at a local baking store. I know that Michael's offers them as well. You or your mom can sign up for the class, if you are interested. It's only a few lessons and I learned sooo much.

I really love that book "wedding cakes you can make." it's my bible, lol. I make the cake 2 days in advance, frost and fill it the night before, assemble and decorate at the wedding site. The frosting can be made up to a month in advance.

lol- i'm too afraid the cake wouldn't make it in the shipping.

now - i took the Wilton method class at a local baking store. I know that Michael's offers them as well. You or your mom can sign up for the class, if you are interested. It's only a few lessons and I learned sooo much.

I really love that book "wedding cakes you can make." it's my bible, lol. I make the cake 2 days in advance, frost and fill it the night before, assemble and decorate at the wedding site. The frosting can be made up to a month in advance.

Is the class one of those free ones like hobby lobby has?

Hm. I"ll have to price some stuff (the pans, the cake stuff) and figure out how to assemble it. Although one would suspect it's the same as stacking a normal layered cake, right? It can't be that easy, lol

It may be easier if you did the sheet cake pans (so you have square cakes) and then stack them. I've done a fair amount of baking but I can't speak for everyone but for me? I found it easier to do the sheet cakes stacked rather than circles.

I think you should practice in the meantime with boxed cake with your mom. See if you can make or buy a frosting that will work well with stacking. It's best to findo ut these things before the night of the wedding so you don't have any surprises!

It may be easier if you did the sheet cake pans (so you have square cakes) and then stack them. I've done a fair amount of baking but I can't speak for everyone but for me? I found it easier to do the sheet cakes stacked rather than circles.

I think you should practice in the meantime with boxed cake with your mom. See if you can make or buy a frosting that will work well with stacking. It's best to findo ut these things before the night of the wedding so you don't have any surprises!

Hm. What about a sheet bottom but round top? I just don't like the look of a square top. It just sets my OCD thing off.

Oh yeah. When I get paid Wed I think I'll buy a few things and give it a go.

Yeah if it's a small round top, why not?

I've just had issues with stacking the bigger, bottom pieces when they are round, not square. Maybe that's just me though. I hope annie chimes in.

For the record, I haven't made wedding cakes or anything. I just LOVE cake and like to make it, esp when it's high.

Archived