Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

Ok, food that is mass produced isn't "real" cuisine. Yeah, it's food and it tastes good. It really does. Trust me, I'm a sucker for concession-stand type food (the more cardboard the pizza, the better!). And I love Chili's food. Eat it daily and look forward to eating it each day. But it's not a "real" restaurant where the people in the kitchen create the recipes themselves. They cook what they're told to cook. Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Carrabba's, all of those more "upscale" places are still not filled with chefs, even though those who do cook the food are great cooks in th eir own right (even the cooks I work with can throw recipes together in a second and have them taste great, but they can't "make" that stuff for the restaurant we work in).

Mass produced food is soooo tasty...it's why we eat it. I love it myself and don't not eat it b/c of some sort of principle I have.

But Red Lobster...sorry to say...but it's the "upscale" of small towns who don't know better!

Take him to Atlanta to a real restaurant! You're so close to that place and you have no idea how great the food is in those restaurants! Man, I wanna go back and eat it myself!

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, this one is a "chain" but it's really not, as it's only based in Atlanta and there aren't a lot of them but there are multiple ones.

Flying Biscuit is friggen awesome Southern food. you'll never go back to taht Cracker Barrel crap again, I promise. Cracker Barrel is absolute crap! Flying Biscuit is the shiz. So good.

they're all over Atlanta. One right by Piedmont Park, one in Candler Park, one in Marietta...a couple other locations. It's not a chain-chain, as in nationwide or anything, but it's an Atlanta-made chain so all the stuff is homemade and authentic.

they're all over Atlanta. One right by Piedmont Park, one in Candler Park, one in Marietta...a couple other locations. It's not a chain-chain, as in nationwide or anything, but it's an Atlanta-made chain so all the stuff is homemade and authentic.

I'll look those uo to see were they are (I only take the Marta around Atlanta and have been to only a few locations).

Hers, I saw your honeymoon pics. Looks like you had a great time in Nassau. Do any shopping?

OG, if you are going to a good Irish pub, see if they have any shepherd's pie. That is pretty good stuff.

Oh they do, and it's sooooooooo good. I can see L in an Irish pub now... Lol.

Strawberry daquries are strawberries, ice, sugar, and rum. I promise you can get them at a better restaurant! Maybe even tastier ones!

They can't use real strawberries in mine since I'm allergic. And sadly, Red Lobster is the best my home own has to offer. Well, olive garden is better upscale but I will not step foot in that one in my hometown.

L visited with his gran today and she is so excited for us getting married. It feels nice to know at least one person over there is excited for us and the fact it's his gran, the most important person to him, makes me feel even better. He even showed her a picture of my dress. We both wish she could be there....

I have been hooked on this air crashn investigation show. I won't ever find a plane beautiful like L does or understand all the little things but I def like the integument of when something goes wrong. That sounds so morbid but it's the best way to describe it, like how I love watching real murder shows and real cases. In watching those kind of shows it makes me over paranoid - I know what can happen to someone who isn't vigilant in watching for their safety. I'm always talking to my mom as I walk to my car, out of a store at night, my keys are in my hand, I'm constantly searching... You just never know.

Got sidetracked, lol. Watching the airplane show has made me feel better about flying. I was never afraid to fly - my first flight was to see L in NY and the only thing I didn't like about the whole thing was the landing.. It makes me sick to my stomach - but there is always the thought in the back of your mind something could go wrong. One thing I have learned is it's never the plane itself that fails - it's human error. Like the was this one plane crash we're they covered these peto tube things to clean them - what they were suppose to do - but they never took the tape off. So hen they were in the sky they kept getting false signals from the computer and ended up crashing in the ocean killing everyone. A piece of duct tape killed people. It's really been an eye opener.

And of course there is still that part of you that knows it's safer to fly in a plane than drive in a car but all it takes is that ONE plane ride.

And I'm so tired. Didn't sleep well last night - or long - so I'm taking some medicine and hitting an early night.

Of course sometimes the plane fails. I could name several crashes where the plane has failed.

Of course you can go back and say humans built the plane, so it's ALL human error, but let's say it's very often NOT pilot error. TWA 800, Air France 447. the Hudson plane that likely would have crashed if not for it being able to land in the river was taken down by geese.

Well its not about the fact we make them, its.usually done in.repairs. like the episode I watched.today on Japan 123, it crashed because a technician put one row of rivets instead of two and the.tail was taken out because.of that. Or in the case.of this other.one.I.watched the pilot let his.kid fly the plane and didnt know that if you held the.stick to the left for more than 30 secs it would disengage the auto pilot. Of course itwas a fault in the plqne that there was no alarm to alert the pilots.of.this and they ridnt know but the kids should never have been up there.

And of course.there are those.like the Hudson plane were it is outside forces but the plane didn't just losean engine.... there is never.one factor that caues a plane to crash.

Of course sometimes the plane fails. I could name several crashes where the plane has failed.

Of course you can go back and say humans built the plane, so it's ALL human error, but let's say it's very often NOT pilot error. TWA 800, Air France 447. the Hudson plane that likely would have crashed if not for it being able to land in the river was taken down by geese.

Sorry sophie but you're wrong there. On a large proportion of crashes the accident is directly attributable to the actions of the flight crew. For example in 2009 the pilots of Colgan Air Flight 3407 pulled back the stick and attempted to raise the nose when given a stall warning - result? Stalled the aircraft, the plane crashed. Everyone died. A basic error. Again on Northwest flight 255 in 1987, the pilots failed to configure the aircraft properly for takeoff (failing to follow their own checklists) The plane failed to generate enough lift, hit a pole on takeoff and careered down a highway - everyone died.

Many many many accidents are the results of bad decision, to press on when they should have turned back, to have simly done the wrong thing or to have typed the wrong command into the computer. To say few accidents are due to pilot error is wrong. Almost all have some element of error, however small, and take that error out of the accident and it wouldn't happen.

Of course I agree that machnery also fails, but it wears like anything else.

And as for AF447, we don't, and will never know, what happened on that flight. It's very possible the air crew suffered from sensory disorianation (due to both a storm and the presence of no counter information due to the failure of pitot staic tubes because of ice generated by super-cooled water) and caused the plane to stall. Unless they find the black box, which is basically impossible and probably damaged beyond use due to the salinity of the water its inmursed in, we'll never know for sure.

The hudson river landing was the result of an excellent pilot, of which I am full of admiration for having read his autbiography, but also the design of the Airbus A320 also... it's designed to not allow the pilot to stall the aircraft in that situation by ignoring any commands that raise the nose above a certain angle of attack (and therefore avoid disruption of airflow over the wings), and while I would never second guess his decision, pilots in simulators since have (in the same conditions) turned and make it back to La Guardia without needing to ditch.

You're up against a bonified plane buff, who reads all the offical reports he can, here

I was simply disagreeing with what OG wrote that it is "never the plane itself that fails" - that's why I gave examples of "famous" plane crashes where people do not think it was pilot error.

People are saying that someone left duct tape on the pitot tubes for 447? How could anyone possibly know that?!

I was simply disagreeing with what OG wrote that it is "never the plane itself that fails" - that's why I gave examples of "famous" plane crashes where people do not think it was pilot error.

People are saying that someone left duct tape on the pitot tubes for 447? How could anyone possibly know that?!

I think it's fairly obvious that 'never' wasn't meant literally

Archived