Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally understand and that's why I don't diet. P. loves his chips, his ice cream etc... I was playing with the idea for lent. I'm not a really religious person, but I feel like I need that moment of clarity in my life right now. To stop what's easy and distracting (eating junk food, shopping, tv etc...) and focus on what's real.

Yeah, I only want to get down to 150 and it's more for health reasons. It's really about portions for me. It's never just 2 slices of pizza, it's 4. I don't really do treats - I don't eat that much chocolate and what I do eat unhealthy I do it too much and too often.

Yeah, I think it comes in cycles for me too. Before I went on vacation, I was still eating some junk but a lot less. I was overall a lot less hungry too. After I induldged for 10 days straight on creamy pastas, chocolate, deserts, capps, alcoholic drinks etc... I felt like I had to maintain that lifestyle. I guess just need to bite the bullet for a week or so.

I think the biggest trick for me is always to eat whatever is fattening ex: pizza, creamy pasta.. with a big salad.

I have def. noticed that since I added a salad to my dinner, I feel much fuller when I eat.

that's a good start. keep that up. try to introduce a new food here or there - try some fruits you haven't eaten in a long time. it's hard when your family isn't being supportive of your goals. can you talk to them about bringing in some healthier food into the house?

that's a good start. keep that up. try to introduce a new food here or there - try some fruits you haven't eaten in a long time. it's hard when your family isn't being supportive of your goals. can you talk to them about bringing in some healthier food into the house?

I could but money wise isn't good for my mom so she buys cheaply - which means unhealthy most of the time.

can you try to go a week without any dairy products and see how you feel? i know a lot of people who have dairy intolerances and they feel better when they stop eating it. i wonder if that would ease your heartburn.

I could. I love milk though. It's about the only thing I drink on a regular bases other than soda.

I'm bored so I was googling wedding venues - L asked me to just to see what else is out there - and I found this church with a house next to it. I have to say I like it. But, we liked the house on the outside as well. I may call them tomorrow to see if I can look around while I'm there tomorrow.

I could but money wise isn't good for my mom so she buys cheaply - which means unhealthy most of the time.

I could. I love milk though. It's about the only thing I drink on a regular bases other than soda.

but... you pay for it with increased health care costs and lower life-span. i think if your diet were healthier, you wouldn't need to take these medications.

just try 1 week without milk, cheese, ice cream, etc.... see how you feel, if the heartburn goes away...

I agree. I think it also wouldn't be so bad if the average joe could afford health insurance. For me alone to get it at work is $100 a month. It's just not affordable. And it really is cheaper to buy unhealthy than healthy. What I bought that one week was $50, that's almost half of what mom's weekly grocery budget is and she has to feed 3 other people.

you should read Michael Pollan's book, "In Defense of Food." I think it's a sad state that highly processed junk food is cheaper than real wholesome food. here are some of his basic rules:

1. Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?" Pollan says.
  2. Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.
  3. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.
  4. Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.
  5. It is not just what you eat but how you eat. "Always leave the table a little hungry," Pollan says. "Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, 'Tie off the sack before it's full.'"
  6. Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It's a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. "Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?" Pollan asks.
  7. Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

The key to eating cheap and health - buy foods in season when they are plentiful and cheap - get large sizes of frozen meats and then store them in individual or dual serving packages in the freezer. stock up on canned foods and frozen foods when they go on sale. beans are cheap and they are a good source of protein. a bag of beans is like a dollar.

Food, Inc. is another good movie on food in the US.

but really, it is awful that it is so expensive to eat healthy foods and so cheap to eat junk. it should be the other way around!! it's true - a lot of foods, you read the packaging, they sound more like a science experiment than food. then you think back to how our grandparents and great grandparents used to eat and it was so much more simple - bread, meat, vegetables, beans. not millions of preservatives and synthetic chemicals... that's why he has that rule "don't eat something that your grandmother (or great-grandmother) wouldn't recognize as food."

It is so wrong. It's much cheaper for me to go buy a Big Mac then eat healthy for a few days. And people wonder why we are an obese country... I feel a lot better since I have been watching my portion controls. I haven't been eating something huge and then 30 mins later going and getting something else to eat. I space my meals apart during the day.

get large sizes of frozen meats and then store them in individual or dual serving packages in the freezer.

This saves lots of time and money. Divide big pack of meat into little meal-size ziplock bags. Throw in various kinds of marinade and your meat will be flavorful and marinated when you go to cook it. Keep plenty of different kinds of meat/marinade combinations in your freezer and just take them out one by one the night before. Then when you come home from work, throw the meat in the oven or on the Foreman grill and it's so easy.

Explore with different Marinades:

Necessary base:

vinegar (red wine, balsamic, rice vinegar or lemon juice), oil and something salty (fish oil, soya sauce, etc.)

Optional:

something sweet (teryaki sauce, BBQ sauce, white sugar), something spicy, garlic, spices, sesame seeds

....but absolutely have the vinegar, oil and salt. Will be brilliant every time.

Another marinade for chicken or shrimp is:

ranch or caesar dressing, garlic, oil and parmasen cheese. (makes a creamy yummy sauce when you bake it)

Archived