Buying art supplies - Coupons - Stores?

Applewhite

I'm finally ready to start painting. I will try both oils and acryllics but I plan to start with an acryllic set and buy brushes that suit both.

I want to start with a small ready to paint canvas.

Since I will be buying a bulk of supplies at once, it would be great if I could find a 20% coupon or something. Where should I look - the local paper, online etc?

And do you guys have any suggessions on where I buy the material? Close stores are Michael's and Pearl Art.

Also brushes - what would a beginner use. A slanted brush a big one for background, a round and a flat. Does that sound about right to start off?

Thanks.

It's been a while since I've been there, but I also think Michael's gives out discounts valid for the next week after you buy something there.

Canvas panels are good for practicing, as well as paintings. Stretched canvas (especially ones without the staples up the side) are typically more expensive. If you're starting with a small canvas, you won't need any insanely big brushes. I'd get a few flat ones (varying in sizes, maybe the biggest being an inch or so) and a small round one for details.

• Like 1