Any aspiring teachers/professors?

I am interested in teaching at the community college level. A lot has been said about virtual colleges/classes, which seem to have grown in popularity over the past few years. I think teaching from home would be a convenient option for me, and I would prefer teaching online to lecturing in a traditional face-to-face format.

Does anyone know how these classes work or what is required in order to teach them? Would a master's degree be required?

I am interested in teaching at the community college level. A lot has been said about virtual colleges/classes, which seem to have grown in popularity over the past few years. I think teaching from home would be a convenient option for me, and I would prefer teaching online to lecturing in a traditional face-to-face format.

Does anyone know how these classes work or what is required in order to teach them? Would a master's degree be required?

You'll need at least a masters degree to instruct at the community college level. Most online courses are hybrids, meaning that some students register for a classroom version while other students register for the online version. The professor/instructor will give the lecture in the classroom on a smart board using software that allows streaming of audio and text to the online students' homes.

AT LEAST a master's degree, if not a PhD. It's hard to get any sort of teaching job at the college or university level without a PhD. I don't know a lot about online schools, but i imagine any that are reputable will have highly qualified instructors who also teach real classes.

It's hard to get any sort of teaching job at the college or university level without a PhD.

I'll say this is highly dependent on the subject. For engineering, it's rather easy to get university-level teaching jobs with just a master's degree. Some folks in engineering even manage to find tenure track jobs without a Ph.D.

In specific areas of the humanities, I've seen many professors with MFA degrees and no Ph.D.

In the more broad subjects such as English, History, Political Science, or the pure sciences such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, you'll almost certainly need a Ph.D.

There is also some variation depending on the type of school. Two-year community colleges tend to be much more forgiving about not having a doctorate. But I imagine with increase in people obtaining graduate degrees, it's only going to become more competitive as time goes on.

But I imagine with increase in people obtaining graduate degrees, it's only going to become more competitive as time goes on.

yeah, this is key. usually for every one tenure-track professor position at a major university, there are hundreds of candidates (all with PhDs of course!) obviously, all 400 can't get that 1 job. so many will look for jobs at small colleges, community colleges, etc.... there's tough competition out there!

Archived