Why is it so easy to recommend meds?

Most recently I went to my PCP for a physical since it's been awhile and I've been having some health issues. He ran a bunch of tests to find the "root" (at least part of it) and prescribed Omega-3 fish oil, niacin, milk thistle, dandelion, and a "change" in diet (not really to stop eating certain foods, but to start eating others). The only prescription I got was for my migraine medicine.

Are you in the US? I'm curious to know since I've yet to hear of any doctors prescribing natural treatment let alone even recommending them over conventional medicine. In that sense you are very fortunate to have such doctors.

I just feel these drugs and way its prescribed is part of a bigger picture that's far beyond our imagination. And it's all intertwined with the foods we eat and how we go about our lives. We need to think back to the basics, what our body really needs to sustain healthy lifestyle. After all prevention is far better than trying to fix a damage.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'm in Illinois. He said that I may need to go on medication if these don't work, but I'm willing to try ANYTHING at this point since I've been dealing with some of my issues for a year now. My allergist even suggested I try a food elimination diet before he tested me for allergies. Unfortunately, all of my allergies are environmental (grass, trees, and certain types of mold) so there's not much I can do to reduce/eliminate exposure

I was rather surprised as well because my clinic is NOT AT ALL what you'd call "progressive."

Wow...that's very surprising...the doctor must have extensive knowledge aside from conventional medicine.

I've heard of food elimination is used often with naturopathetic doctors. Very strict organic whole foods diet for at least three weeks to see what's causing the symptoms and reactions.

I'm not sure if such allergies can be eliminated but I know how you feel about allergies, this year seems to be VERY bad. I check the link removed site often & seems to be in the double digit scale all the time this year. I'm sure there are natural remedies and possible cure but I haven't looked into it much...the information out there is just mind boggling.

A few years ago, I tried some remedies suggested to me by a friend who is completely into homeopathic remedies. I asked about them at a local "Fruitful Yield" store and the different employees there confirmed that what she suggested was correct. Unfortunately, nothing worked other than staying inside my house, which I HATE to do in the summer Now, I'm on antihistamines and they are helping a little, but I still have symptoms almost daily....

My food elimination diet consisted of nothing but boneless/skinless chicken breasts (plain, no seasoning), rice, and water. There was absolutely no change in my symptoms so the doctor took me off after 10 days because he said I should have had some relief in that time. Also, I did it in the winter so my "seasonal" allergies wouldn't have had an effect on it. He's since diagnosed me with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and dermatographia since they've tested me for pretty much everything and they've all come back negative.

I have never not once had a doctor try and give me alternatives to prescription medication. I also am in Illinois, lived in FL and Virginia.

Heck, maybe I am going to the wrong docs, because the side affects are not explained. I go home and investigate what I will be taking, also what its going to take to come off of them. I do this now because coming off of Effexor was one of the hardest things to do for me.

I do agree that addictions is that persons own issues, but addictions start from one pill, prescribed from a doctor. I guess it just makes me mad/sad that the majority of my family is addicted to prescription medications, and can go to most doctors and get prescriptions that are meant for actual patients that need these types of meds. I cant argue about that on here, I think i would cause an uproar if I said that I think all doctors should have to have 2 signatures to hand out any prescriptions.

Also, you wont change my mind about these types of medications being addictive, Xanax & Valium are one of the most addictives there are. And the docs that I go to have given these along with Paxil and Effexor, to curve the side affects that they bring on.

I find it hard to see that its my fault that the doctor doesnt know enough history or whatever the case may be, thats why I pay him good money to find out, to ask the right questions, to give me the best advice and instructions not just get me in listen to me for 10 minutes then get me out. I also have my files transferred from all docs to the next so if he doenst take the time to read it over, is that my fault to.

I do appreciate seeing everyone views on this

That's awful, I was going to say if antihistamines aren't getting rid of the symptoms that sounds pretty serious. Have you tried neti pot?

I echo this post. Sinus irrigation? I suffered with horrible sinus issues for much of my teens and twenties. A nice doc told me about sinus irrigation and I haven't had any major issues since.

I am surprised about the amount of people who say that they haven't been offered any alternative to prescription medicine. Doctors in my experience offer advice and help on things that are not just prescription medicine. While it's probably true that they rarely offer natural remedies, they do offer lots of things that are not a drug.

Here there is "exercise on prescription" which varies but can include reduced or free for a period gym and / or swimming membership together with tailored to them personal instruction and a plan to follow. There is strong scientific evidence that properly done exercise can help depression and anxiety, help general heath and other conditions such as high blood pressure. In the case of serious medical conditions it is important for the doctor to work on the plan to make sure it is not only beneficial but safe.

This one is not as popular and people often ignore it because it sounds preachy and people don't like to hear it but it is true. Lifestyle changes such as stopping smoking (there are tailored plans for helping people do this), reducing drinking and eating better foods such as those with lower salt, lower fat, more fruit, more vegetables and more fibre are all generally known to people but we just don't follow that advice. I think doctors have a really hard time on this. It is scientifically proven that these sots of changes help us but when doctors suggest this we largely ignore them.

I have heard of doctors offering changes to diet also. An elderly friend of the family was advised to drink milky tea. I am not sure why but I think from what she said it was a little easy way to add more milk and therefore more calcium to her diet to help with bone strength. This idea was "prescribed" together with calcium supplements and changes to diet. I don't remember the exact details of this though I can only remember what she said. There are lots of other little changes to diets that I have heard people say they had been advised to do for conditions by their doctor.

Lifestyle changes such as stopping smoking (there are tailored plans for helping people do this), reducing drinking and eating better foods such as those with lower salt, lower fat, more fruit, more vegetables and more fibre are all generally known to people but we just don't follow that advice. I think doctors have a really hard time on this. It is scientifically proven that these sots of changes help us but when doctors suggest this we largely ignore them.

Totally agree, RedFox.

H

Absolutely correct, Lavender

The doctor of course expects you to follow up, and your problem if you don't. The patient is remiss if they take the drug and don't return to the doctor and report the results, as all doctors want and why they ask you to check back with them after giving you medication. So if Ritalin was not right for you, the doctor would ask in a follow up, how did you feel? Where you more focused or less focused? Calm or agitated? Then based on what you said, they'd remove you from the drug or not.

So just because a doctor prescribes quickly doesn't mean they are prescribing WRONG, if they insist on follow ups etc.

Many people will go for one visit with a doctor and if they are not immediately fixed say, the doctor doesn't know what they are talking about

H

GetBi:

is it possible to get over it with out meds?

i mean things like depression.

I think only a mental health professional can answer that question. From what I gather, mild, reactive depression can possibly be overcome without meds. Everyone gets the "blues" from time to time, and each person deals with those depending on resilience and type of personality. for more serious depressive disorders only a professional can give a prognosis.

H

That's awful, I was going to say if antihistamines aren't getting rid of the symptoms that sounds pretty serious. Have you tried neti pot?

I wish it was that easy, but my "issues" are all related to my skin. I break out in hives daily and they can't figure out why. Even high doses of steroids had no effect on them (in combination with 4 antihistamines, an anti-inflammatory, and an anti-itch medication). No topical treatments have had any effect on them, either.....My doctors all assure me that they'll keep looking until they figure out what's causing them, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just an anomaly

Since humans formed society, they have engaged in drug use. Smoking and drinking are the ones that have survived the test of time.

Naturally, liquor laws and heavy smoking taxes ensure that smoking and drinking will always be considered the most horrible thing you can do for your wallet and your health.

So, you go to the doctor when you are depressed to get drugs which won't make you a social outcast. These are usually more addictive than smoking or drinking, and the long term effects are not as well known.

What's the difference? Drugs are drugs.

When I'm depressed I buy a bottle of wine and a pack of smokes. It works, I'm not addicted (I haven't smoked or drunk anything since august last year) and the only difference is I don't have to ask snobby doctors in white coats for permission.

i was reading thru the posts,

out of curiosity with things said.

is it possible to get over it with out meds?

i mean things like depression.

Depends on why you are depressed. Some people are depressed due to situations or circumstance. They need to actively change their environment in order to feel better.

Some have an internal source of depression. Some times it can be a persons past. They need therapy to overcome a childhood experience.

Others are bothered by circumstantial yet internal sources such as a dislike for oneself or feeling of lethargy brought on by poor diet and exercise.

And, a rare few of people are just chemically wrong that no matter what the circumstance they are depressed for no logical reason.

Meds can help most persons no matter the cause of their depression. But long term use is only really recommended for the last group. They are the ones that really need it and the others it can sometimes help. It can sometimes harm too. It's really a individual thing.

Archived