Is getting a master's to teach at a 2 yr college worth it?

I've been entertaining the idea of teaching on the side at a 2 year college one day. I am not interested in pursuing a Ph.D considering the money and time that are involved. I'd like to return to the 2 year college where I obtained my associate's degree, which was far more to my liking than the 4 year university from which I received my bachelor's degree. It's my understanding you only need a master's degree to teach at a 2 year/community college.

In your view, would this venture be worth it?

PhD's don't normally cost money. My girlfriend is starting her PhD at Standford in the fall and they are paying her to go there. I'm getting my MFA both because I want the education and because in the future I want to teach.

If you want to teach at high school level you can always get a teaching certificate. I'm not sure if that is cheaper then a masters or not. What is your field?

This is somewhat like asking if it's worth $3000 to go to Australia. The next question would be, "how bad do you want to do to Australia?"

As far as financial returns, I doubt you'll ever see one. But if it's something you want to do, go for it.

i don't see why it wouldn't be. the people attending a 2 year college need and value their education just as much as those at a four year college (and may for all sorts of reasons have enrolled- by choice or not- in a 2 year rather than four year program). imo it bugs me when graduates or students of four year colleges stick their noses up at people who attend or attended community or 2 year colleges. and as you said yourself, your associate degree experience was better than your bachelor's degree experience. more prestigious does not always mean a better experience.

i say go for it and once you're there teaching, be sure to emphasize to your future students how valuable an education they're getting, and how your admire their hard work and dedication.

To bluelava:

As I understood it, the OP wasn't asking about attending a two year college. The OP asked if getting a Masters degree (obviously somewhere else since two year colleges don't offer them) would be worthwhile for the goal of teaching at a two year college.

Colleges, in general, do not pay much to instructors with Masters degrees. Two year colleges pay even less. You can find comparable salaries in other fields with just a high school diploma and a few skills.

If you were addressing something else and I've assumed wrong, then I apologize. I just didn't see how else the value of education at 2yr vs. 4yr colleges related to this thread. It's about teaching, not attending.

To bluelava:

As I understood it, the OP wasn't asking about attending a two year college. The OP asked if getting a Masters degree (obviously somewhere else since two year colleges don't offer them) would be worthwhile for the goal of teaching at a two year college.

If you were addressing something else and I've assumed wrong, then I apologize. I just didn't see how else the value of education at 2yr vs. 4yr colleges related to this thread. It's about teaching, not attending.

actually i was addressing the fact that the op was considering teaching at a two year college... but they also stated in their op that they'd been a student at both a two year and four year college in their time and had preferred the experience at the two year college.

i ended my post by telling the op that if and when they start their career teaching at a two year college it'll be of great value for them, as the teacher, to emphasize the students there the value of their education, regardless of where it is. this i added because i see too many people stick their noses up at associate's degree students and graduates who've worked really hard to get where they are, and in the op's future teaching career, they could not only impart their knowledge to these students, but also do their part to dispel the misconceptions that those who choose to (or have to) attend a 2 year rather than four year college are somehow inferior to their 4 year college counterparts. (a bachelor's degree is more prestigious yes and gives you more future career options, and better pay, but that doesn't mean 2 year college grads are somehow subhuman). no worries though.

idk enough info to address the topic of this thread with regards to salary, etc.

Archived