How do I start?

coolgirl

Okay, I have a question. I'm not a professional in Photography and would like to start from somewhere. I just dont know how and were to start. I've never taken photo's from events. The only pics I take are my sister and thats just for fun, but I like to start out slowely and work my way up to big events like weddings, engagment, of any sort. What I want to know is that how can I go after customer's because i know some people are looking for professional photographer's that they've done something before in hand and do have a portfolio but I dont. I want to start of small but dont know were to start off from. Do I need to make a website first? And share what I did before? Do I need to set my prices before I post anything? Please let me know cuz I really want to get into this and its been a dream of mine to be a photographer cuz I am known for my talent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You'll want to practice first, any simple point & shoot digital camera will work to get a feel for what it's like, shooting in different conditions, lighting, and understand the fundamentals in photography.

From there if you're looking to seriously get into photography with more expensive equipment to create your portfolio or shoot an event, you'll need to start learning about various equipment from camera bodies, lens, external flash, umbrellas, filters, etc etc. DSLR is one option while the new micro DSLR (micro four thirds) that's more compact is another.

Marketing your skills down the road is just like starting any small business, you'll probably want to take a course or learn from various resources on marketing, setting prices and determine what type of clients you'll be looking for.

Photography like all form of art, can go in so many directions. There are nature photography, landscape, animals and wildlife, wedding, portrait, creative/artistic, sports, automotive, product and other dedicated types. You'll find that you'll pick one or two you really enjoy and/or are good at.

This all could take several years to accomplish. I'm not trying to discourage you but from understanding photography to becoming good enough to market your service takes a lot of experience. With today's technology in photography the market is definitely becoming more competitive.