How do I break into academic publishing?

I have always been a very intellectually curious person. At times I have questioned whether I would want to get a master's degree and teach at a 2 year college. However, I've come to the conclusion that I want to break into academic publishing, which seems like something that would allow me to work on content-related stuff (writing tests, editing curriculum material) without having to stand in front of a classroom and teach.

Do jobs in academic publishing -- say, editors, editorial assistants, etc. -- pay well? Do they typically require teaching experience? Will I have my back against the wall if I don't have a teaching degree and/or experience? How do you get your foot in the door?

Well I assume you are into research if you are this point in life, and you can find out most of what you need online or by writing to places and asking... Salaries are easy to find out, just google.

TBH it seems quite a high ambition to write for an audience you've never been a part of, it may smack of not wanting to put the work in, to those you approach, Be prepared for that.

Archived