My Boyfriend thinks i'm insane...am I?

Siena

The more i read ur responses the more i understand how close minded and boring people became, COMMON people, how do u have fun...

Oh BUDDY. You know you're gonna get it for this comment. I'm going to subscribe to this thread just to hear the blowout. This is like a movie-very entertaining.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more i read ur responses the more i understand how close minded and boring people became, COMMON people, how do u have fun...

let me hear it...oh yeah, of course, u go to the clubs, eat sushi n go to the movies? anything else????

seriously, sometimes i dont get the judgment, what's to judge?

People arn't being closed minded. People have different ideas to what is fun. If you find it fun do it - i personally wouldn't but YOU asked for opinions as to why your boyfriend thinks your 'insane' - and what majority of people are saying is probably what he is thinking.

Who ever said about judging? you came here for opinions. cant take them? dont ask.

Looks like you are going to do it anyways, so why do you care what others think? If you think this is going to be fun for you, have a blast! I just cant see where the fun part comes into it. Ive worked in restaurants, and its not that 'fun'.

who cares? whats the point of bungee jumping, or slapstick hockey, or when boys play "how can take a punch and not cry" the WWF or ANY sport for that matter. Whats the point of half of the things on tv.

And who cares if its self serving...so is makeup, and working out, so is everything you do with your Ipod, so is everything on the Bravo channel, So is sex ( if you're not trying to make a baby) so is sex ( if you ARE trying to make a baby). Its 2010, many things in todays world are self serving. If it doesn't hurt anyone, why not do it. Unless you don't want people to think you're weird.

BTW- Siena...I think you're weird. Fun, but weird. I say do it, and when ure done, ure gonna think twice about half the things you do at a table. TRUST me

Not sure what all that has to do with what i said, but okay.

You can think about everything in this world...whats the point of life... But its not what this is about. If the OP wants to go to a restaurant to work as a bet, she will no matter what any one says.

I never said or implied that i think the OP is weird for wanting to do this, I dont...she seems normal just wanting to have some fun but i just cant see to as to why bother or where the fun is in it. Maybe her bf doesn't either from what she wrote about his reaction.

MakestheBest

RE ure done, ure gonna think twice about half the things you do at a table. TRUST me

i know what u mean, u sound like someone who did it all, do u honestly regret it? i bet not a bit

No... he never worked in the restaurant, he is an engineer and he makes money, but he said it just interferes with his moral standards, which i cant understand cuz he can spend more than 5000$ on his suit and shoes... where is the logic?

From a purely logical perspective, it makes no sense why you are doing this. I don't know your educational level, if you have finished college or have a masters degree or what, but why take a waitressing job if you don't have to? No offense to waitresses at all. Like my friend. She was applying to a lot of waitressing jobs. I said to her, "you have a college degree, what are you doing?" she got kind of angry at me. now, i know that it is a hard time to find jobs, but i was trying to point out to her that she went to college for 4 years and should try to find a job in her field that will further her career, rather than waiting tables (which won't support her career goals).

My question to you - how will this waitressing experience for 2 weeks improve your resume? help your career goals? if you are bored and have nothing to do for 2 weeks and have an extra $1000, go on vacation! Or spend more time working on your career. I think this is why your boyfriend thinks you are crazy. Why do some kind of 'bet' with your friend that really isn't that funny or amusing. I'm sure you both can survive 2 weeks as a waitress, but why would you want to if you don't have to?

let me hear it...oh yeah, of course, u go to the clubs, eat sushi n go to the movies? anything else????

seriously, sometimes i dont get the judgment, what's to judge?

I think you should be telling your b/f that since he is the one who had the issue that brought you to this thread.

Why argue with what we think? We don't know you. He does. It's what he thinks that had you bugged.

Not sure what all that has to do with what i said, but okay.

what i'm saying is that if someone told me that they planned on bungee jumping as a bet to see who chickened out, Even if I have no earthly desire to bungee jump. Don't really get the point of hanging off of bring by a string, my reaction wouldnt be " wow, thats a really self-serving activity Buddy you might want to rethink that".

There is no point to most forms of entertainment. I was demonstrating that there are many very common things that we all do in life that are self serving. What difference does it make if it is self-serving. My entire saturday is spent self serving. I think what people are reacting to is that what she is doing is weird. Not that its bad. Because, it clearly doesn't hurt anyone.

^^^ and you have a point. I could care less what she does with her free time, as long as I get my sandwich and diet coke, no ice! and salad dressing on the side, thanks.

Maybe the boyfriend would rather you spent your free time with him rather than being a waitress?

TO 24

Annie, i appreciate ur opinion but have u ever did something that everyone thought was insane or crazy?

I dunno - I'd have to think about that. I have performed in a lot of shows/performances. To some people, getting onstage and dancing they would think is insane, and something they wouldn't do, but i've done it. I've also participated in some extreme sports, I guess some people would call that crazy. I guess it depends on your perspective.

I mean, if you want to do it, go for it. I wouldn't do a waitressing bet. I think my feet would hurt and i would get sick of people and their demands. not really my idea of a fun time, but i guess that's the point of your 'challenge.'

With $1000 and some free time, i would go to the spa!

i know what u mean, u sound like someone who did it all, do u honestly regret it? i bet not a bit

Not a bit, but im in my early thirties. I still have a lot of dumb sh*t to do before i die.

When you do somethiing weird, you just cant ask other people is it okay. Because if was "okay" to most people it just wouldn't be weird.

You're not crazy you're just a free thinker. Half the things I've done in my life people looked at me sideways until I got started and then they wanted to take pictures.

Just remember to flip your palms skyward so you can stack plates on your arms and you don't have to take two trips...you'll see what i mean.

well... Annie, i guess u know nothing abt working in the restaurant, its not like u spending 24/7 there, i live with my bf, so believe me, we do spend enough time 2gether...

and u know what, u dont drink, u dont smoke, u dont have sex - u die anyway...whats the point...

what i'm saying is that if someone told me that they planned on bungee jumping as a bet to see who chickened out, Even if I have no earthly desire to bungee jump. Don't really get the point of hanging off of bring by a string, my reaction wouldnt be " wow, thats a really self-serving activity Buddy you might want to rethink that".

There is no point to most forms of entertainment. I was demonstrating that there are many very common things that we all do in life that are self serving. What difference does it make if it is self-serving. My entire saturday is spent self serving. I think what people are reacting to is that what she is doing is weird. Not that its bad. Because, it clearly doesn't hurt anyone.

I was pointing out there were other ways to have a bet. Its got nothing to do with 'self serving'.

If the OP would find the waitressing bet fun, so be it, hope she wins. Bets can be fun - but why 'work' for a bet?! Theres many ways to have a bet.... and theres always people in the world who will find you weird or crazy for what ever you choose to do!

But her bf - the point of the original post - obviously cant see why she's doing it.

you're right, i don't know much about restaurants. i just eat at them, i've never worked in one. and why would I? I have 2 college degrees and am completing my PhD, I don't have time to mess around and take bets to work in a restaurant! why would i do something like that? I wouldn't. probably why your boyfriend is so confused!

well... Annie, i guess u know nothing abt working in the restaurant, its not like u spending 24/7 there, i live with my bf, so believe me, we do spend enough time 2gether...

and u know what, u dont drink, u dont smoke, u dont have sex - u die anyway...whats the point...

Again, isn't the real crux of the matter what HE thinks? Not US?

well... Annie, i guess u know nothing abt working in the restaurant, its not like u spending 24/7 there,

Wow, just like a regular job then.

OP, you asked for opinions. They will not always be what you want to hear. I see nothing at all fun about working for a bet and do think you're crazy.

If you're not hurting anyone though, why worry about what other people think. I doubt your bf is going to break up with you over this, so what's the problem. He can't always agree with every choice you make.

(Even as a volunteer though, you will be creating more competition among the existing staff and reducing the tips they receive. I know that if I found out someone was doing my job for a bet, I would feel incredibly insulted that my life is a source of well, mockery for that person. )

(Even as a volunteer though, you will be creating more competition among the existing staff and reducing the tips they receive. I know that if I found out someone was doing my job for a bet, I would feel incredibly insulted that my life is a source of well, mockery for that person. )

as i said before, we dont keep tips, we give them to whoever works there

He hates the idea but he tells me to do whatever i want but the fact he thinks its wrong pisses me off....

he probably cant understand why your doing it. but he probably does things you dont get.

I get why he may not 'like' the idea - but i dont think its wrong. If you've arrange this with the owner, and he is okay with it i dont see how its wrong. A little strange yes - but everybody does strange things. i dont think many people would work for free for a bet tho. so many other ways to have a bet.

you're right, i don't know much about restaurants. i just eat at them, i've never worked in one. and why would I? I have 2 college degrees and am completing my PhD, I don't have time to mess around and take bets to work in a restaurant! why would i do something like that? I wouldn't. probably why your boyfriend is so confused!

i waited table thru college and grad school. its a hustle, its a grind. You have to think fast on your feet and scream at the cooks in the right pitch to get tomatoes for your side salad. After work a bunch of us would get drinks and shoot pool and complain. It was bone tiring but good at the same time.

Later in life when I was trying to get work in NY I had to take the chinatown bus into town and wear my clothes a certain way while I had to hide the holes in my coat while i tried to sweet talk my way into my dream job. It was hard and it some of it was scary but i'm SO GLAD that I had those experiences, just because. I'm proud, and I have stories to tell.

If I had never had those experiences I would have been very curious. I would want to see what it felt like. And I may just DO it like I think Siena is doing. I feel like she just wants to see what it like and she needs a reason to do it-why not a bet, make it fun. Have stakes to it.

I totally get it. I would do the same thing in her shoes. In fact I have. Maybe you should try explaining it to your boyfriend that way, because I'll be the thing that upsets you most is that he doesnt get that. And you feel like he doesn't get you. Try to explain it again.

What, he doesnt have the right to have his own opinion about it?

He's supposed to be excited about every nonsensical idea you have?

Honestly, if you subscribe to this belief that "people should live a little bit more ! do something crazy once in a while!" and have told him numerous "crazy things just for fun" you might do, i can understand why he thinks you're "insane."

he probably cant understand why your doing it. but he probably does things you dont get.

I get why he may not 'like' the idea - but i dont think its wrong. If you've arrange this with the owner, and he is okay with it i dont see how its wrong.

i dont think many people would work for free for a bet tho.

Thank you Nicki, im glad u understood... i bet u wudnt mind doing the same thing

I have mad respect for wait staff and tip very well for good service. I can imagine how someone might find it a bit 'off' to do this for 'fun' and for a 'bet' when you already have a well paying job. It just in some ways seems a mockery of the men and women who work very hard to serve. I dunno, it just does.

Most of those people are working hard to get thru college, or feed their kids or just put food on the table. The big burning question for ME is, how the heck do THEY view what you and your friend are doing? They probably think you are huge whack jobs because if they didn't have to do it I am sure they'd be doing something a little less grueling. Standing on your feet all day waiting on customers who can be pretty demanding and ugly at least 50% of the time isn't what most people would want to do, and those who HAVE to do it probably don't view those doing it for fun very favorably. Just sayin'.

have u ever did something that everyone thought was insane or crazy?

Sure, but do something "insane and/or crazy" on your own dime, i say.

i dont think anyone would be opposed to you doing something "insane and crazy" -- you have the prerogative to do so -- but you're basically wasting the restaurant owner's time for training you and time = money.

Archived