My Mum Behaves Strangely Towards Me

mumto2

Sorry I didn't quite know where to put this thread but I felt I needed a bit of a rant on a Sunday afternoon (on Mothers Day of all flippin' days...)

Outine of my dear mum is this: she was never ver maternal towards myself and my 2 siblings. She abandoned her son when he was a baby, and moved to the UK from Austria (I still don't know why). She married my dad and had me and my sister. She was always very physically violent towards me as a child and very critical of everything I did. When she divorced my dad it was very messy and I bore the brunt of it (something no child should ever have to go through). After years of fights and disagreements our relationship finally folded when I was in my twenties.

Since becoming a mum myself I've kind of relented in the fact that my own mum can't change what she did to me but I can learn from her mistakes and I've been the best mum I can be to my son, and my baby which is due in 4 weeks time. (I'm also a single mum). We have since started to build up our relationship. However, she's very distant from me, never says how much she loves her grandson, but insists on telling me how much my step dad is greatly enamoured by my son (which is lovely). She seems to have no emotion towards me whatsoever and is quite often stand offish. I am always left feeling that I did something wrong, but I know I haven't.

She is supposed to be having my son while I am in hospital, and recently told me that if I need her just to call (I'm having trouble with daily tasks now as I am huuuuuge!) but ever since this offering of support she's been really stand offish with me again, and seems to be pushing me away like her offer of support never meant a thing. I don't have much support from other sources, but I'm now trying to make plan B in case she does let me down (which seems imminent to be quite frank).

Where did I go wrong with her? I never ask for anything, but the time I need most support from the one woman who was supposed to care and I feel like its being pulled from under me again and again.

Ok, rant over.

Just sounds as though she doesn't have much to give, but wants to. Something happened with her, and now she doesn't know what to do or how to do it.

Are there other ways to get support? The baby's father ? Even if he were to help financially...it may take the extra stress off of your shoulders. After all, it does take two, doesn't it?

Just sounds as though she doesn't have much to give, but wants to. Something happened with her, and now she doesn't know what to do or how to do it.

Are there other ways to get support? The baby's father ? Even if he were to help financially...it may take the extra stress off of your shoulders. After all, it does take two, doesn't it?

Ya, that isn't an option unfrotunately as the father of my child abused me and is within an inch of gaining himself an injunction. I won't risk mine or my kids safety just so I can manage ok during the birth.

Archived