Which is better -- Academia or the business world?

For those of you who've worked in both settings or can at least impart what the pros and cons to each are, please share your thoughts.

I love writing and have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. That's why I have considered getting a master's and possibly teaching at a 2-year college. However, do professors who only hold a master's degree write in academic journals/publish research? Getting a Ph.D. seems like too much time/effort for too little reward, especially considering that teaching positions are hard to come by.

A lot has been said about corporate backstabbing and bureaucracy. Is there such a thing in academia? Can 2-year college professors gain tenure?

My current position working for a small business requires that I write a lot (which I love) but promotion opportunities here seem limited. What's the potential for advancement at colleges?

Do you prefer working in a business to working in academia? Why or why not?

I'm finishing my phd. I don't know much about 2 year colleges, but i think with teaching positions getting harder and harder to come by, it seems to make more sense to get a phd if you want to teach. I don't know how many masters' get hired these days to teach at CCs.

i think that there is a lot of beuracracy and backstabbing in academia too. maybe not as much in the corporate world though.

Listen to annie24! She knows her stuff

I am currently getting my PhD, which I have balanced throughout with employment in the private sector in order not to go completely insane --so I can tell you a bit about both worlds, and especially about the fact that they are really not that different.

Academia has some pretty decent advantages and some drawbacks. You get a certain degree of flexibility, a bit more of me-time, and a slightly higher sense of meaning if you are passionate enough about your subject (which you should be). You also get less money and a rather undefinable feeling of being inside a bubble where everyone speaks very softly and may be keeping something from you.

As for teaching with an MA, in Europe that will only get you as far as high school jobs. I am aware that in the States, the community college system used to be open to teachers with a Master's degree, but the reality of the market (and academia is a market --in fact it is big business) is that we are churning out far more PhDs than the market can accommodate --which means that now you can find Ivy League PhDs applying for (and getting rejected for) community college positions in Dilligaf, Iowa.

Do I prefer business or academia? Actually neither --I much prefer the nonprofit sector, but I thoroughly enjoy keeping a foot in each field for now. I know the day I have to make an either/or decision, I will miss the other.

And yes, there is backstabbing in academia. Whenever you have competition for limited resources, people elbow their way forward --and sometimes not in the nicest way.

If you really love research and teaching, then phd->academia is the way to go. If you're in any way hesitant or doubtful, then be aware that the phd path is a grueling one. You have to make sure you have a support system and enough passion for the field to go through with it.

Most people do a phd not to teach, but to do research. Some find teaching very rewarding, but most complain of teaching as a necessary evil in order to do research. For the sake of the phd, the sole focus is research. You may have to teach for funding, but make sure you have the passion for the research to get through the phd. Then you can go to research or teaching universities as you desire.

As annie and ersatz have said, there are politics in academia too, just they are different from those in industry. In my opinion, egos are bigger in academia because people are really invested in their work. Another form of politics may actually be between the teaching and research faculty of an institution. These two reasons lead to most of the politics that I've seen.

Archived