Why do people hate it when one's quiet at work?

I worked with a girl who was so quiet and never bothered to make and effort to be social and everyone in the office despised her.

There's nothing wrong with being quiet, but I do think that some introverts think that if you are talking you can't possibly be working hard.

Also, the girl in my office rarely made any effort to get to know people and you could tell she thought she worked harder than others, which didn't lead to friendly relations in the office.

Like another person says, it comes accross as self-absorbed.

I do notice a bit of the "aren't I a hard worker" coming accross in your post, so I'm sure it comes accross to your colleagues as well.

right, never bothering at all is an issue... may i ask though, did you make a lot of effort with her? just asking to see if you're sure she was really self-absorbed/antisocial and not just extremely shy. or could it have been possible that she may have just found it harder to balance both working and friendly chitchat at the same time? it's not as easy for some as it is for others. it doesn't mean they're not interested or don't want to take part. not saying you're wrong but just some things to think about

• 6 years later...

I'm happy I found out I'm not the only one who struggle with this problem.

My job is in engineering area, and I do have to concentrate most of time ...

They claim that I'm quiet and want to change me into talkative person which I cant do that if I have tasks on my shoulder or struggling with private problems ... I'm not introvert, I do talk, chit-chat, however I prefer not in office.

What is the problem, I harm no one, I do talk but not all the time.

I asked them what is the standard level of being introvert/extrovert if I know myself I am absolutely not introvert person.

Any solution for me?

Thank you in advance.

Archived