Would you change your personality for a job?

If a job required that you become more assertive, talkative, and -- for the most part -- change your personality drastically, would you be so inclined?

This second question goes out to the introverts: Would you resist changing your personality for the job because you're content with the way you are?

Please feel free to share personal experiences.

I'm a naturally quiet person. (No, seriously, I am) but I find myself in an extremely extroverted, talkative leadership position. It's a challenge but it often brings out the best in me and shows me I can do things well I never thought possible. Besides, you can be quiet at home!

I wouldn't say I have changed my personality, but for work I've done some things that downright terrified me and have been out of my comfort zone. More skill learning. I used to be so scared of talking and leading a group, but I forced myself to do it. Fake it til you get better sort of thing. Now it's a no brainer and not scary.

Ideally, work would compliment my personality and traits really nicely but sometimes I've just had to work, and sometimes if I hadn't have reached outside of my natural personality I wouldn't have found out how good I actually can be at certain things.

So you don't want to be miserable but don't want to limit too much either.

Ive been in the same exact situation, in fact, i think im still in that situation right now. I work in social service and it involves a lot of interaction with the public, organizing meetings, and being an overall team leader. I am the type of person who is very laid back, i basically keep to myself in the workplace (its safer than getting into the catty mix) but i get my work done in a timely and effective manner. But it never seems good enough. I keep getting told by my supervisors that they dont see enough "energy" or "enthusiasm" from me. For example, i organized an entire meeting all by myself after only being on a job for 2 months. I had never done it before in my life. I invited the guests and even got a local congressman involved. The meeting was a success but instead of getting patted on the back i was basically told that i didnt address the guests enough and create a warm enough atmosphere. In other words, they wanted me to kiss butt. What im trying to say is....NO!! Dont lose yourself for ANY job! Its not worth it and in the end you have to be comfortable. I feel I am just extroverted enough. If you try to be somethng you're not, it will be apparent. Just be honest with your supervisors. If who you are isnt good enough then they shouldnt have hired you in the first place and maybe the job isnt for you.

I'm more on the quiet side, but it varies with the situation. My goal is to become a firefighter/paramedic, that's definitely an extroverted position. Whenever I volunteer for anything related, I have to switch it up and become more talkative. I don't really see that as changing my personality, though. Most of the time when you're on a job you aren't truly yourself anyway. You're a polished version of yourself.

My personality has changed a lot since I got out off college. I used to by shy and would never speak up. Since I work in sales I really had to step it up. I became 100% more extroverted. It has really helped me personally too.

If you are a team leader, you HAVE to be outgoing and greet people and set the mood. If you just can't fake it and get called on it, there are many careers that value introverts. I can't think of any, but I'm an extrovert so I never looked into something like that. I think a lab tech or translater or museum curator may be a kind of job where an introvert would shine. I'm a teacher and before that, I spent many years as an office manager and executive secretary. I couldn't have been an introvert and done those jobs well. There are jobs I would be lousy at because I am an extrovert, so I don't go for those jobs. Find a job that fits you and you will not have to worry about changing yourself, though everyone in my age group has changed drastically since their twenties. Life does that to you.

If it was for a job purpose, then yes I would definitely consider changing (at least slowly).

Every job requires some sort of change, and it doesn't necessarily imply that it's a bad thing.

Life is full of changes. Why should a job be otherwise?

I am usually very reserved, aloof, and quiet in real life. But I work at a restaurant that's know for being very laid back, with very extroverted and personable servers. We do some very extroverted public stuff (cant say what or I'd give the place away!). My own mother couldn't believe I was her daughter when she came in to eat and saw me working with my other tables and such. At work I am loud, extroverted, and personable.

Sometimes you just gotta turn it "on". Turn on that different side of yourself that's needed to get the job done.

To an extent, I think it's possible to SLIGHTLY change your personality to fit your workplace. In general, I'm a quiet person and I dread meeting new people and interacting with strangers, but in my former job, I had to do both of those things on a daily basis. Now, I didn't force myself into doing those things; I simply had to remind/force myself into recognizing that I was capable of doing those things, and doing them well.

I still hate doing those things--particulary making small-talk with strangers--but I think they're good talents to have, nonetheless.

However, I have to be honest with myself and admit that I can only alter my personality within reason. I would never presume to move into a top-level managerial position, for instance. And I could never be a CEO, or work in public relations, simply because the stress involved in "pep-talking" myself on a daily basis would tire me out.

So, for me, altering my personality is kinda like stretching a rubberband; there's a lot of room to wiggle and stretch, but there's always a breaking point.

Archived