Open Club  ·  108 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life of Mama Metro (metrogirl)

metrogirl

Metrogirl,

Congrats on losing that 14.5 lbs! I know how hard it is firsthand. Every pound lost is a major victory. It looks like you have really gotten yourself into a good routine with eating healthy and exercising.

Cheers,

Bella

Thank you, that really means a lot to me.

I remember reading your thread and I want to say Annie's but not sure if it was hers that I am thinking of and I remember saying to myself how much I admired you guys for just doing it! I wanted so badly to find the strength and willpower to start losing weight, I just didn't have it in me.

I can't say I know for sure what prompted me to start when I did. There was no scary diagnosis from a doctor telling me I was gonna die, no boyfriend that was threatening to end it if I gained another pound, nothing like that.

I just woke up one day and said today is the day and I have been sticking to it since Feb 1st. I didn't get my gym membership until Feb 27th and I have been going as regularly as I can, no less than 4 days a week although I do try for 5-6 at the most.

It's amazing how some decent exercise makes you feel like a new person!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'll be reading your journal now to get inspiration to exercise more. You're doing a great job with it. Eating healthy is relatively easy for me, but getting myself to exercise consistently outside of just walking is the hard part for me. You are going to the gym...even right after work. That's dedication. (I feel dead by that time. lol)

It's amazing how fast the days go by and before you know it, you realize you haven't done the thing you really wanted to do.

This was me over the weekend. I didn't make it to the gym on Thurs, Fri, or Sat. It's never ending, all the things that I have to do and all the places that I have to be. If I'm not doing something for one person, I'm doing something else for another person.

So I was thinking ahead to this week and how I can squeeze in some extra gym time, because naturally I still have other things to take care of and I thought 'ok Metro, you can do X amount of time today when you get off work and X amount of time tomorrow. The boyfriend then asks me this morning to change my plans because he needs my help with something tomorrow. Sigh... I just feel super sucky now because I will get to the gym today and then not again until Tuesday? wth

I don't know, maybe I am just super emotional today. Working out has altered my monthly cycle and I am a week late. My hormones are all over the place and I'm more tired than usual. So naturally the bf's request to help him tomorrow put me on the brink of tears and for what??? Because I will have to miss another day at the gym.....my goodness, it just sounds so deranged.

For the purpose of this entry, you guys can just call me weepy willow today.

I don't know, maybe the powers that be didn't want me to go to the gym today? My intention was good, I was pumped and ready to go. I get home from work and my daughter, son, and mother are exchanging words. My daughter is heated and so is my son. My son is extremely difficult to handle when he is angry and he happens to be my workout partner. As we are pulling into the gym he is just going on and on about whatever trivial matter he and his sister were fighting about. He's clearly angry and then he says "I don't even know why I brought my mp3 player, I don't have any headphones".

Ok, you should have just reminded me before we got here, so my being a good sport, I go to Target to find him some and there is nothing there he likes so then we go to Office Depot, again not the ones he likes. So he wants to go to Big Lots, they have the ones he likes. Fine....I have now missed at least 45 minutes at the gym because I am driving around town.

We get to the gym and I'm just emotionally drained. I have been near tears all day, everything is irritating me. I change my shoes and I notice my legs are swollen. I go warm up on a cardio machine and I am just exhausted. Seriously, I felt light headed and completely out of it. It didn't help matters that my mp3 player sounds horrible now. I don't know what happened to it, but all you can hear is the words to the song and not really the background music.

So all of this combined was just too much for me to handle and I started to cry. I didn't even have an ounce of energy to workout. My period is still MIA, my hormones are all over the place. Absolutely everything annoys me, I want to lash out and I want to be held at the same time.

I won't make it to the gym tomorrow because I have to help the bf with something, but idk maybe it's a good thing. Maybe I just need a break.

I know you guys are probably thinking, she sounds clearly nuts. If I read this, I would say the same thing.

You're not nuts at all..everyone reaches a breaking point at one time or another..and to be honest i'm suprised it hasn't happened sooner. You carry a lot on those shoulders..more than a lot of people could bare to handle..and you do it with a smile on your face.

Honestly, you need a day completely to yourself..or at LEAST a few hours..lock yourself in the bathroom and take a long hot bubble bath [complete with candles and wine], change into some pajamas and just veg out on the bed/couch/whatever..I know you're responsible for making sure a lot of things are done at work, home, with the grandbabies, etc..sometimes you have to focus on YOU though.

^^Thank you, and that is exactly what I did. I took 2 days off from work, thankfully my period showed up and you want to know something.......I felt great! I was full of energy, I got some spring cleaning done at my house, I cleared out one closet and bagged up some clothes to be donated.

I had 2 really good workouts at the gym too. I feel back in sync now. There was something really off with me when my cycle ended up being so late.

There will be no workout today though, at least not an early workout because I am taking my car to the dealership to see why the maint light is on. Well I know why it's on, I just need to see exactly what maintenance it needs.

Still waiting for my Jillian Michaels dvd to come so I can get started with that. I think this weekend, I will go and buy a yoga mat and some 2lb weights to use with it. My son wants one of those big balls so he can do some ab exercises on it. I'm a good sport, I'll get one and I'm sure he will push me to use it as well.

Hey MG, glad to see you had a good 2 days off and that you got stuff done.

And yes, working out really helps keep one in sync and feeling good. I never understood that until I started working out.

Hope you are able to find out what your car issues are and that it won't be too hard or expensive to get it fixed.

Thanks Renny......

Well I have my son that will do the work for me, I just need to pinpoint what specifically made the light come on. My son said it could be that it's due for a tune up. I love having a mechanic in the house.

I'm doing a 14 hour work day today. I suprisingly have more energy today than I have had in long time. I have generally stayed away from work days that would be more 12 hours because I just couldn't do them anymore, they were too taxing on my mind and body. Not saying I would do these regularly, but eh.....I'm making a little money so why not? LOL

I'm doing a 14 hour work day today. I suprisingly have more energy today than I have had in long time. I have generally stayed away from work days that would be more 12 hours because I just couldn't do them anymore, they were too taxing on my mind and body. Not saying I would do these regularly, but eh.....I'm making a little money so why not? LOL

Maybe your exercise is paying off in that now you have more stamina to do things???

Today has been a great day so far. I didn't sleep well last night, my granddaughter was vomiting through out the evening. Despite being tired, I got up early and bummed around the house a bit and finally went to the gym at 10:00am. I had the most amazing workout! I did a little more than an hour of cardio and then did some exercises on my arms.

I got my Jillian Michaels dvd today, so hopefully I can start that in the next couple of days. I want to get a yoga mat and some hand weights to use along with the dvd.

I was suppose to cover a shift at work today but due to a mix up, the person I was going to cover for actually showed up but my company has to pay me 4 hour OT for showing up anyway so I guess it all worked out okay. I would have preferred to stay 8 hours and make some money, but I can't complain.

And finally......................I lost another 2 lbs. I'm doing it, I'm actually doing it this time. God this feels good.

Good for you!

A word of advice. Don't start out with lighter weights. Go for the 5-8 pounders. I started with 2 pounds because that's all the store had in stock.

While I have lost inches and a couple of pants sizes... even level one feels super tough now, like my arms are about to fall off. I may need to start over

Now Sherryberrypie tells me! LOL I bought some 2lbs wrist weights yesterday, but I can still wear those while I am at the gym so I will go get the heavier ones. Thanks for the advice.

Now on to my morning rambling session....

I hardly slept last night, I have a headache and I'm butt tired. There is a dog somewhere in the vicinity of my bedroom window that howled all night. It woke me up at 1:00am and that is what I listened to until 4:00am when I couldn't take it anymore and decided to take a hot bath. Naturally when I came out of the bathroom and sat down in my room for a few minutes, I guess Rover tired himself out from all his howling because he had stopped. Grrr....

Is it wrong that I just turned down a lunch date with my bf because I already had my heart set on going to the gym? LOL I have a logical explaination to this though.... I didn't get a chance to take my car to the dealership the other day because I ended up doing a 14 hour workday so I made an appointment for tomorrow after work. Since I am clearly going to miss my workout tomorrow, I wanted to at least get it done today. Makes sense right? Well it does to me anyway.

Yesterday, I was still feeling the burn from the previous days workout but still wanted to go to the gym. It was a good workout, I'm glad I had some energy to go.

I was looking in the mirror as I was walking by and I noticed my ass has a weird shape to it. Hear me out...... I had quite a bit of fat under my butt cheeks but since I seem to have lost a lot of that fat, my ass just kinda hangs there. I don't know how to explain it other than my ass looks funny. So I was doing some serious damage on the various glute machines yesterday.

I refuse to have SAS........saggy ass syndrome. LOL

I was hoping to start my Jillian Michaels dvd today and assuming I get home from the car dealership early enough, I will.

OH!!! another 1/2 lb gone.....poof

My babies are sick.....Kayleigh had a 24 hour bug in addition to an ear infection. She in turn has passed that bug to Jade and to my 17 year old son. I should just call her Typhoid Mary. My daughter said that even she threw up this morning so I guess she thinks she caught that bug too, but I'm more inclined to think it's that baby in her belly that made her yak. LOL

When I got hom yesterday, my intention was to hit the gym, at least to soak in the jacuzzi if nothing else to ease my sore neck but sadly I couldn't even do that. I was really tired and kinda out of it.

So today, I must must must go to the gym. For some reason when I miss 2 days in a row, I look down and think 'oh god I know I have gained 5 more lbs". It's probably ridiculous to think that way but I can't help it. I have this vision in my mind that I miss a few days and gain it all back.

I made it to the gym yesterday and was able to do 60 minutes on the ellipitcal, two 30 minutes sessions. I felt okay, I just didn't feel like I was sweating enough nor did I feel super energized like I normally do.

Today is just overall a bad day. Nothing is really going right at work and I can tell it's affecting my mood.

No gym yesterday as I had a class after work. Doesn't look like I will be able to hit the gym today either, as the boyfriend wants me to accompany him to his doctors appointments.

I should say that usually I don't mind going with him, naturally I have been doing everything I can to help him since finding out he's got all these things wrong but at the same time, sometimes I just need time for myself.

Anyone here that knows me knows that I am constantly on the go. I am usually doing something for others and I find myself tired. After these marathon days, I still try to do the things that I need done at the house.

Sometimes my requests for help fall on deaf ears and that is stressing me out. Two days in a row, I have asked my son to unclog the bathroom sink. It takes him a matter of minutes to remove the pipe underneath, clean it all out and put it back on. He's done it many times. Lately, I ask him to do something and he 'forgets'. Sigh.....

I'm working my day off today and with his appointments later in the afternoon, it's not going to leave much time to do what I need at the house. My only day off this week will be spent cooking and cleaning the house. I'm going to have to sneak a workout in early tomorrow morning because I seriously don't want to go 3 days without one.

I'm sitting here thinking about everything I want to write and I'm not even sure where to start. I'm a mixed bag of emotions right now. I took the boyfriend to his appointment yesterday. This was his first eye exam in I don't know how many years. He didn't really want to go to this one but I explained to him that now that he has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes he has to have an exam to rule out any damage to the eyes.

They found the damage. His eyes are bleeding in the back. The doctor said he has a good amount of bleeding and has referred him to an opthamologist (sp). His blood pressure was really high yesterday, as was his sugar. I have noticed a pattern with him, when his sugar is elevated to a certain level or his pressure is up, he's agitated more and he tends to nit pick. Yesterday was no exception, he clearly wanted to argue about menial things.

How do I get him to understand that these things that he gets all worked up about are likely going to cause him to have a heart attack or stroke? I know he's scared and I'm scared. I think he needs to go to some kind of stress management class or something. A friend of mind said he should find a hobby. I don't even know how to go about suggesting something to a person that has never really enjoyed anything other than drinking and watching sports.

I feel defeated.

Sleep did not come easy for me last night. I was tossing and turning, had a couple nightmares. Everything was just irritating me, the neighbors with their stupid parties and their god awful music at 1:30 in the morning. I noticed for the first time last night, that my grandson grinds his teeth. That noise was driving me nuts too. I felt like I was going to lose my mind. I know it's being sleep deprived that makes me like this.

I was hoping to hit the gym again today but I will likely stay and work some OT. Apparently there is no one to cover 2nd shift and so I am going back and forth in my mind....

should I work and make some extra money even though I am tired?

should I leave and still try to go to the gym even though I am tired?

The bf is coming in early and said he would bring me lunch or coffee if I decide to stay.

I don't know....I just don't know. I want to sleep but I know I won't be able to sleep at the house, the babies are noisy during the day.

Archived