Open Club  ·  110 members  ·  Free

Journals

Thoughts, ramblings

LAYAAN

I do not know what to do with my hair. I'm quite frustrated with the current situation.

Its decent length (about 16 inches in length), but is getting dry and brittle. I dont' shampoo it everyday since its already so dry. Exercising even for 30 minutes makes me sweat like a man and really ruins my hair. I then wash it either with plain water or just conditioner. It doesn't feel clean and I don't like that feeling either. Frequent washing of my hair makes me really cold at night and tend to catch cold. This whole exercising then washing my hair then drying my hair ritual takes about 3 hours and I genuinely am getting tired of spending so much time caring for my hair. I'm thinking of simply chopping it off...

what do you do if you don't want to wash your hair so frequently, but want to exercise regularly? How do you protect your hair from sweat?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe you should stop drying your hair? you could be getting heat damage.

I don't use heat unless I'm straightening my hair. I don't even have a blow dryer. Whenever I wash my hair, I just let it air dry. Its still getting dry. I drink a lot of water, still...

I think the reason is that I recently switched my shampoo to Loreal sulfate-free ever strong shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if that's drying my hair out. Ever since I switched, I'm losing hair in bunch. I'm very worried about that.

Thanks for the suggestion...I was at the mall today and I said "oh, annie24 likes this," and then I got some. Over here it is $21 for a spray can.

sephora stuff is mostly costly. Some products are good, but definitely costlier than drug store brands.

I don't use heat unless I'm straightening my hair. I don't even have a blow dryer. Whenever I wash my hair, I just let it air dry. Its still getting dry. I drink a lot of water, still...

I think the reason is that I recently switched my shampoo to Loreal sulfate-free ever strong shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if that's drying my hair out. Ever since I switched, I'm losing hair in bunch. I'm very worried about that.

I would maybe try a different shampoo. do you use conditioner? I use Bumble and bumble conditioner and i love it!

yes, bumble and bumble have really good products.

Yes, I use conditioner. I can't survive without that. My hair gets tangled up, frizzy, dry, difficult to comb through without one... can't tell you how bad it gets.

Hey Annie... would you consider doing a video tour or picture tour of your makeup and other beauty collection? I enjoy looking at my girl friends' make up and other beauty stuff. It gives me a high to go to make up stores, learn about beauty products. I would love to look at your collection, if you don't mind.

I have curly hair and something that's saved it is doing what's called the "curly girl" method. Basically, you don't use shampoo. Shampoo is full of tons of chemicals that strip your hair (same stuff that's in dish soap!). It's fine for people who have hair that can handle it, but curly hair tends to be extremely dry naturally, so continuing to strip dry hair using shampoo is just making a bad situation worse.

Here's what I do:

Wet my hair in the shower, then brush through it while wet

"Shampoo" my hair using a very thin conditioner (any variety of VO5, which you can get at the drugstore, will work), a "co-wash" (I use one by a company called DevaCurl called DevaCurl No-Poo) or an SLS-free shampoo (Trader Joe's makes a tea tree oil one)

Rinse out my "shampoo"

Use a thick conditioner as my actual conditioner - I rotate between a bunch of natural conditioners that I buy at Whole Foods by brands like Desert Essence, Aubrey Organics, etc. Using a natural conditioner is important because you can be sure it doesn't have those chemicals that dry out your hair.

Rinse out my conditioner

Rub a drop of conditioner between my palms and run it through my hair before I get out of the shower, to make sure that my hair stays moisturized

Then I let my hair air dry for as long as possible - on days that I don't have to go to work, I try to let it dry completely like this. On weekdays, I let it air dry while I have breakfast and get dressed, then I only use my blow dryer on the lowest setting with low heat. I use a diffuser since I have curly hair.

I used to straighten my hair everyday and it was dry and frizzy and breaking all the time. I've been using this method for three years now and while my hair still gets dry, it looks way way way better than it used to.

Thank you very much orchidrose.

what do you mean by co-wash? Is it a brand name?

Yes, you know I have heard about washing your hair with mainly a conditioner than a shampoo. I tend to put oil onto my hair hence I have to wash it using some shampoo. So, I switched to sulfate-free shampoo. I have tried pureology. I have tried burt's bees. Now the Loreal sulfate-free. Still same issue.

I think I'm going to try using a thin conditioner (cheap drug store brand) every time I rinse my hair after I exercise. I definitely am going to try that. I have also heard that the Trader joe's tea tree oil shampoo is good. I have a white friend who has really coarse, thick hair. She uses that shampoo.

I shampoo and condition my hair only once a week. My hair simply can't handle more shampooing than that. I really like the conditioner I'm using presently (from same line, loreal sulfate-free).

- put oil (avocado oil+olive oil+almond oil) on my hair either Friday or Saturday night,

- put a shower cap on and let the oil stay on for about 12 hours or so

- wash it off with shampoo and condition my hair.

- towel dry and let my hair air dry.

- once completely dry, I put small amount of jojoba oil on my ends and comb through with a wide comb

I don't straighten my hair >1/month (as much as I love straight hair).

Is it normal that I feel tired after cooking (meals for a week from scratch) and doing all dishes manually? I dread cooking because of this. Laundry is a little easier. All I really have to do is fold it. But cooking seems to be lot of work. I normally don't eat out (just for lack of money). I do keep some cereal, protein bars, frozen dinners, fruits, etc. handy at home if I'm hungry and I have no cooked food to eat. But I normally make my own tortillas from scratch and cook vegetables, make soups or salads. I don't have a dishwasher, can't leave dirty dishes in room, so have to do all dishes by hand right after preparing a meal. Also have to transport everything to and from the kitchen as I use common kitchen.

I'm going to see if I can just eat sandwiches until my exams are over. I wasted about 3 hours preparing meal for a week and then doing all dishes, cooking pots, spoons. I feel so tired now.

The guy that (I previously wrote about) I was super interested in meeting, is losing interest in me rapidly. There was a time when he wanted to talk to me more than x2/week and felt sad to wait for the weekend to talk at length to me. Its been almost a month now, we don't talk very much... about 10 minutes/week. This is not a good sign.

I want to write an email to him "Its been great knowing you so far. I do see a potential and would love to meet sooner than later. Meeting until after my exam would be too long, I feel. But if that's what you want to wait for then I will go with the plan, but you will agree that there is nothing left for us to talk about really. So, if and when you want to meet me, you let me know."

Should I send him an email? or instead just play along and talk only if he calls and if he doesn't just leave him alone. When and if he would call limit the time of the talk only for 10 minutes and no more.

I hate to be a buddy to a man. My expectations tend to increase when I talk regularly for over a month with a man and when they turn me down abruptly after they see me in person, its painful... I get no explanation, nothing. They just vanish.

I've deleted his number. I don't call him or text him.

Yesterday was the first time when he called, I gave brief answers and the call was over within 10 minutes. He said he will call today, he never called. I didn't call him either. I saw him online today on the site we met, I didn't bother to initiate contact.

hmm - let's see what the others think. i think that e-mail is fair - i would consider putting it out there. it shows you are interested in meeting, but at the same time, being firm. maybe leave out the 'there is nothing else for us to talk about.' i bet there are plenty of things he could ask you and talk about, if he is interested. i suspect he's chatting with some other women and he's keeping you on the back burner until he sees what's up with them.

what about that guy who will fly to see you?

Exactly... thats what is happening. He is talking to other women.

That is why my strategy is not pursue him. If he wants to talk, cut the call short. I'm not going to entertain you and provide you comfort after a hard day at work. Don't call me for that. If you are interested in meeting me then I'll be happy to meet you, if not, forget it.

Okay, I will try to leave out... there is nothing else for us to talk about.

The guy who was praising my beauty (lol) and all and wanted to swim accross the ocean to see me might have found a more beautiful woman. He has drastically reduced talking to me.

yeah, i would just keep it positive. it's great if he wants to call you after he's had a long, bad day. of course, if you were to marry him, you'd be his support system. however, i think it's fine to re-iterate your interest in meeting, the fact that you can find time to meet before your exams (heck - having a study break for 1 weekend might not be a bad idea either!!) but yeah, you want to meet and the ball is in his court.

now - tell me about the other guy!!

Archived