LAYAAN

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

journal says-

too low sample size

no control group

"you didn't provide power analysis"

oh by the way, even if you are willing to make these corrections, never mind "we have received too many manuscripts. We can't publish them all. We ranked them, yours got a lower rank." Just bad luck. Competition was higher this time.

The study had already started when I got on board. The researchers didn't think of having a control group then. We can't do much about it now. The money is over. Recruiting and following up is not possible now. We have to work with what we have now.

I'm with penelope. I'm not sure about your field or how experiments are designed, but I'm not sure why the people who designed the experiments didn't include a control group? or why someone along the way didn't say, 'where are the controls?' in my field, it's typical to do both a positive and a negative control. i agree that you're going to probably have to submit to a low journal. sorry, not trying to beat you up, but i really don't understand this. maybe if i knew more about what you are studying it would make sense.

Its a clinical study. Yes, most studies have a control group, but some studies don't and they get published. Not trying to give an excuse. Its needed. But here we are. We can only look forward. Yes, we are not submitting to a big impact. I know what the flaws are.

The process of finding a suitable journal has begun. It brings all negative emotions to surface. I went through same nonsense for my 1st paper. Its nerve wrecking!

I'm trying to finalize the defense date. I want to defend successfully and put all this behind me. Regular day at school is full of editions of paper, school/graduation related work. Before you know it, the day is over and I'm home exhausted. I came home tired this evening, fell into bed thinking I would take a nap. Fell asleep and woke up after straight 6 hours. Now up. Feel guilty. I have to finish writing up my dissertation. I'm dragging my feet on that. Looked at the calendar, in less than a month from now, I'll be done. I need to just hang in there and give this last push and it will be over.

I told myself that not to worry too much that I'm seeing that girl around in the building, in the exercise room, laundry room, name it. Stay focused now and finish this journey. This needs to be over. I want to be done so bad. I can hardly wait.

I pushed myself out of bed a little earlier than usual and walked 3.25 mile. I'm hoping to do the same today. I can't wait to feel like exercising. It normally never happens. I just have to push myself to start and my body will follow. Hang in there.

Feel restless, anxious, worried. Sat down to pray. Couldn't focus on that either, couldn't quiet my mind. Raced through prayers... dont' know why.

Its going to be okay. It will all be over in a month. Stay focused on this day... today. Get the work scheduled for today. Why waste time worrying? Anxiety is natural in this phase. This is the transition phase, I'm trying to finish up PhD, not sure about future and I've added another anxiety of marriage on myself. I should deal with one worry at-a-time. I'm not going to worry about marriage until I've defended my dissertation. It is doable. Stay focused. I need to do what I have to do and the rest will take care of itself. Don't waste time.

When I feel like I'm losing focus, I'm going to go to bathroom, breathe, and read inspirational quotes to give me courage and strength. Stay strong... stay focused. You are going to get through this. Hang in there.

Thanks Annie.

If everything works well I will be defending on 10th May. I'm waiting for confirmation about room and confirmation from a committee member.

I dont' know what else to say. Its sudden. Not that it wasn't coming, but still... I will never be completely prepared. I'm going to push myself and do my best.

Good luck with everything! Just keep breathing and focus. It's over soon.

I don't know anything about the american system: is the defense a kind of proforma thing or can they actually fail you at that point?

They typically don't, at least at my school. If a committee agrees to a date, they are usually going to pass you. I've only heard of 1 person at my university not passing, so I would gather that's very low. What they do at my university though, is that they might ask for a few additional experiments before they sign your warrant, or they sign it and tell you to do a few more experiments, or re-write a section. My committee had some minor suggestions as well but they all signed it right then.

They typically don't, at least at my school. If a committee agrees to a date, they are usually going to pass you. I've only heard of 1 person at my university not passing, so I would gather that's very low. What they do at my university though, is that they might ask for a few additional experiments before they sign your warrant, or they sign it and tell you to do a few more experiments, or re-write a section. My committee had some minor suggestions as well but they all signed it right then.

Thats great Annie. In my department, they don't necessarily fail you, as in "get out, you fail, your 5 years have been total waste, go find a new career", but if you perform poorly, they tell you to repeat your defense. If they have suggestions about additional experiments or chapters, they don't sign your form. Signing the form really means that you have completed "all" requirements and your committee agrees that what you have done so far is sufficient. So, they don't sign the form right there and then.

Archived