Open Club  ·  38 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

The Lovely Bones....

Celestialagape54

Ahh, so much dislike for this book! (and dredging up an old topic, go!)

I loved it. I read this book when I was about 16, and it really affected me. It's not exciting, and it doesn't move anywhere fast, but it's a look back at all those little things that you share with people you love, the strange things that you remember, the way each person changes in grief, and how people recover from things - no matter how horrible they are, and how destructive - life continues, and even the deepest of wounds heal with time.

For me, the film was no comparison.

It didn't have the contrast between the harsh, horrible reality of what had happened and rather bittersweet happiness that carried on despite it. The book felt real, it felt like looking on at a real family who were breaking apart and trying to piece life together after losing a child.

The film felt far too cliché for me, and far too much like a deliberate Hollywood tear-jerker.

I remember reading this book while waiting for an interview. I had picked it up and simply read it with great interest from front to back. It's a compelling read that will stir the human emotion.

Having said that, I was soo looking forward to the movie and was disappointed. The imagery was wonderful and it was more of a dream sequence in some scenes, but it lacked the emotion that was portrayed in the book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Im rather surprised at all the negativity towards the book. I enjoyed it and I work in a library and that book was the most circulated item I had for months and months! The teens loved it.

After you get past a rather graphic beginning (a little too much description for younger ones) I suppose it doesnt really have a super fast pace/plot but I thought the concept was cool. The entire thing is her looking down on earth after her death and watching her friends and family grieve, watching the police investigate, watching life go on without her. Maybe I liked it because it does sorta make you think about what would go on after you're gone...

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it a lot too. Haven't seen the movie. I don't understand the negativity either.

Some people might be looking for a book where stuff happens all of the time, bam-bam-bam! like in an action movie; this book isn't like that. There were only a few events, it all sort of just flowed slowly, but this does not make a book bad IMHO. It was very emotionally captivating and there were a few scenes that made me cry. It wasn't about events, it was about love and grief and the meaning of family. Great book.

• 1 month later...
Im rather surprised at all the negativity towards the book. I enjoyed it and I work in a library and that book was the most circulated item I had for months and months! The teens loved it.

After you get past a rather graphic beginning (a little too much description for younger ones) I suppose it doesnt really have a super fast pace/plot but I thought the concept was cool. The entire thing is her looking down on earth after her death and watching her friends and family grieve, watching the police investigate, watching life go on without her. Maybe I liked it because it does sorta make you think about what would go on after you're gone...

In saying that it's not exciting, I don't mean that's a bad thing. I just don't think it translates well into film.

A lot of people really disliked the movie 'Lost in Translation" because of the lack of a plot. I mean, it is a film full of people sitting in hotel rooms looking out windows and sitting alone in the bar. But, if you stop worrying about plot and start worrying about the characters and their development, it's an absolutely amazing and beautiful film.

Archived