Roomate ended up hitting my dog

Pall Wall

I would've popped that dog right on his tail for biting me. Period.

That dog will remember that pop the next time he thinks about biting me. People forget sometimes that animals can sometimes be manipulative and unfortunately you do have to discipline them. I'm not talking about busting the poor dog's bones up or pushing him down an elevator shaft; that's criminal. What I'm talking about is a good ol fashioned ass-whooping out of respect. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. The first bite was an accident, when he nipped your friend. The second was on purpose. I would've popped him too.

I am siding with the dog on this one and yes, I do believe that a dog shouldn't bite, but the dog was trying to grab the cracker. My dog, until i finally was able to teach her not to be so eager at grabbing treats, used to get my finger. sHe didn't draw blood, but it smarted. Now she knows what "easy" means. I think your dog did not mean to bite Adam the first time. Even if he usually takes things easy, he could be ramped up reacting to Adam's erratic behavior. My dog, when people are "off" is a little more nervous or wound. The dog bit Adam a second time because Adam hit him and the dog was at that time biting out of fear or retaliation. the dog is so much smaller an maybe instinctively protected himself.

I am not excusing biting, but I can see WHY the dog bit.

Going forward, it is your responsibility to crate Beaux or call him to you/remove him when Adam is drunk and have the rule that when you are not around, they are not together alone. I remove my dog from situations that are too much for him. When there is a family party with 20 people ove, she is crated in the bedroom because there is just too much chance of someone not watching when opening the door, of her picking something off the floor that she shouldn't eat that was dropped, or whatever. And everyone thinks they know best "oh come on, she should have one bite" or "she'll come back. Don't worry if she goes outside. my dog does." Adam certainly doesn't know, so don't give him any opportunity to do so.

I would've popped that dog right on his tail for biting me. Period.

That dog will remember that pop the next time he thinks about biting me. P.

A stern "no" is discipline. making the dog sit and not go anywhere can be. Hitting a dog only makes a dog act more aggressively. When you can control a dog without hitting them, and use positive reinforcement, they learn what is good behavior. If you hit them, they sometimes don't connect being hit as discipline. They don't learn the proper behavior, but only learn to cower or they will be push back. And its about avoiding anticipating situations as well as teaching your dog what the correct behavior is.

A stern "no" is discipline. making the dog sit and not go anywhere can be. Hitting a dog only makes a dog act more aggressively. When you can control a dog without hitting them, and use positive reinforcement, they learn what is good behavior. If you hit them, they sometimes don't connect being hit as discipline. They don't learn the proper behavior, but only learn to cower or they will be push back. And its about avoiding anticipating situations as well as teaching your dog what the correct behavior is.

'No' doesnt' always work.

'Sit' doesn't always work.

'Cool-off' doesn't always work.

There are times when you just need to get that dog's attention. Yes, I have slapped my dog on the butt to get her attention. Not super hard or anything, but just hard enough to get her attention because it's lost out in space.

We played tug of war the other day and she accidentially bit my finger. It was an accident, no harm - no foul. But a blatant bite, say if I'm trying to put her in her cage and she bites me? I'm busting her on the butt for that, period.

Archived