When companies consider internal candidates, does that spell trouble?

I just got back from a job interview with a big company. It went well, and I felt I did a good job of selling myself.

However, I became a bit disheartened after learning they're considering, among a few others, an internal candidate for the position. They're limiting interviews to a select few, so I feel lucky I was called, but I realize a tough road lies ahead.

I once got a job offer from a company that was considering someone internally, but they never told me this during the interview -- only after I had started working. The fact today's company felt the need to address that someone on the inside is in the running almost seems like a nice way of saying "don't get your hopes up."

Although both interviews -- first with HR, and then with the hiring manager -- went well, the hiring manager didn't ask that many questions. I also saw her look to the side from time to time. She seemed impressed with my qualifications, and the human resources director asserted that I wouldn't have been there today had the hiring manager not been interested.

It doesn't sound like it's a done deal yet, but HR said that if it doesn't work out for me, they might consider me for other opportunities. I always find such lines to be the kiss of death. I guess if it's meant to be, I'll get it.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and still received an offer? Why do you think they posted it if an internal person is receiving consideration?

From what I've seen, it's extremely tough to figure anything out just knowing that they are internal. Sometimes, the person is a shoe-in for the position. Sometimes they are on equal ground, but may have a slight advantage/disadvantage due to their performance reviews. Sometimes the company may have a policy that every internal candidate at least gets to the interview stage, even if they are unqualified.

Bottom line is you have no way of knowing.

I know when we put jobs up on our company website, its because we are required to do it by HR even though we usually just hire within. The thing is we hardly ever bring anyone in unless we feel that there isn't anyone internal qualified enough or just doesn't have the skill set.

Its definitely a harder position to be in, but at the same time they apparently don't think anyone internal is completely fit for the job if they are bringing in outside sources. Sounds like you nailed it though, hope you get the job!!!!!

Usually, if they find that the internal candidate is "good enough", they will give it to the person. You might get lucky if they feel that you would be a whole lot of a better fit for the position, which can happen.

The thing is, the internal candidate is a safe bet - they aren't risking much by promoting them.

It depends, in honesty.

It could be the internal candidate has been "pre-selected", so to speak, or the firm in question wants to show it has opportunities for internal advancement, and thus not create a negative impression in persons external to the firm.

Just be hopeful, and don't assume the internal candidacy spells disaster. I think your assumption is not a good certainty anyhow.

Archived