Company Tactics when Posting Job Ads

I'm interviewing tomorrow with a big company that advertised the position on link removed. It didn't identify itself in the ad, probably in order to limit the number of responses it receives.

The strange thing is that the company doesn't have the position advertised on its own corporate website. It does have others posted, however.

Does anyone know why a company might do this?

I don't understand this either. I inquired about one via email. Wasn't really replied to, just sent an autoreply directing me to a job website where I could apply for the position...and it still didn't list the company name or anything. Made me kinda uneasy so I passed on applying at the website provided.

The job market is bad enough that they might be swamped with phone calls if they identified themselves... they want to be a in position of 'don't call us, we'll call you'.

...or else they don't want people tailoring their resumes to a particular company (i.e., faking their resumes to match what a particular company does).

Some of them don't provide numbers. I've come accross job ads with the general description of the company and position seeking (restaurant/waitress, grocery/cashier, etc) but no number to inquire or puts in big letters NO CALLS PLEASE (which is funny because there's no number anyways). Or they provide an email address to inquire to, and that email just redirects you to a place to apply that still doesn't tell you who the company is.

It all seems really weird to me, but I guess if it's legit and they like you they respond and tell you more about their company? Sounds that's what happened with the OP. I don't know, it makes me uncomfortable so I don't apply to these types of postings.

"It all seems really weird to me, but I guess if it's legit and they like you they respond and tell you more about their company? Sounds that's what happened with the OP. I don't know, it makes me uncomfortable so I don't apply to these types of postings."

I've been looking too and I have to agree with what you said (quoted above). It makes me uncomfortable as well so I just forget it. Kind of sucks but oh well.

Archived