Are you reading any self-help books?

JenniferSNJ

I'll confess I'm addicted to them. And what makes it worse is when I log onto Amazon and they say, "based off your previous purchases, we think you might like these..." and they give you a line up of books. I look at them, and I'm think "OMG YOU'RE RIGHT! I would LOVE that BOOK!" heh. okay

So anyway, I'm reading The Magic of Thinking Big and I'm enjoying it so far.

What are you reading related to personal growth? or do you find those books a turn-off?

I have so many self help books that I bought and did NOT read that I could open my own library. Sad really. I just buy them and then never read them. What a waste of money.

hahah, I bet you they have a self-help book to um... help you with that problem

I've read a couple before.... off the top of my head I can't remember the specific titles, mostly having to do with conquering fear and not letting it hold you back. One I picked up on my own, one my therapist gave to me. I liked them, found them reassuring.

But at the same time, as the name of the genre implies, it really was self-help. A lot of it was stuff I knew already because I was in a place of deep introspection.

Some of it I was going to agree with, some of it I was going to reject... or it wasn't going to apply to me, and I had to accept that. I don't think you can read them and follow them like bibles. The point is just working on yourself and understanding yourself better, which is a good goal, definitely.

I love this book:

link removed

I thought it was absolutely amazing and really helped when I was going through a period flailing around, wondering what I wanted to do with my life, feeling unhappy with the way things were going. I highly recommend it!

Nixee- I think you're completely correct. I haven't really met anyone that follows any one book as a Bible, but it's important to know that it's okay to accept some material and leave others.

I also find that I'm attracted to certain types of self-help books. I tend to go away from self esteem books because I don't really struggle with that and I tend to go towards LOA, success books since those are the things I'm trying to implement/accomplish in my life.

*raises hand*

I too am a self-help book addict! For awhile I was obsessed with relationship books, then I was obsessed with books about introversion, personality theory and shyness and now, it's books about pursuing dream jobs or running your own business. Currently in love with the Four Hour Work Week, by Timothy Ferris. I mean, seriously, who doesn't want a job where they don't work a lot, yet earns them lots of money? I highly doubt that I'll achieve that sort of success, but it is teaching me to look differently at work and opportunities.

I have so many self help books that I bought and did NOT read that I could open my own library. Sad really. I just buy them and then never read them. What a waste of money.

You should sell them back on Amazon. That's what I do. Got 33 dollars back this week. Self-help books usually sell fast and depending on how popular they are, you can get a respectable price for them.

I think some of them are jokes, but some of them really are just so darn helpful.

I was borrowing a friend's book on natural ways to relieve anxiety, but I had to give it back since she's moving. It was actually pretty informative, though!

i think a lot of people are embarassed about seeking help. it can feel awkward perousing the self-help section of a book store or a library. i don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, personally.

the one problem i see with this issue is the fact that there are just SO many titles out there to choose from. a lot of it can easily be viewed as 'garbage'.

personally, i look for books that provide clinical testing...or some other form of verification. there are a lot of people out there that are exploiting the general unhappiness of the masses. it's important to be vigilant in your search.

that being said, i think looking within for a way to help yourself is the most important step you can take towards personal growth. this may be the necessary step you take before exanding your growth by seeking out some form of external help (whether that be a therapist, financial advisor, etc.).

i'm relatively new to the whole concept, but i've found a couple of books that have started me on a journey of personal growth. ''feeling good'' by david burns (the title seemed a little on the cheesy side when i picked it up) has helped me in so many ways. i highly recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild to moderate depressions, anger issues, relationship problems, etc.

i also picked one up called ''the power of now'' by eckhart tolle. it's essentially a spiritual reference...discussing the ego, and the power (and detriment) of thought. it's taught me to become more conscious of my daily life.

take what applies to you...and leave the rest behind. i think it's easy to fall into a trap of dependency...allowing yourself to be told what you SHOULD be doing. again...i think it's important to take responsibility for yourself...which means being constantly aware of what you're reading.

just my thoughts. good thread.

90_hour_sleep- all very good points. A lot of people are too embarrassed to seek these books, but I think it takes a self-aware person to utilize these resources.

There are a lot of titles as you mentioned. When I suffered from anxiety & depression, I used the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (recommended by my therapist) and it explained so much to me that I don't think I could have ever figured out on my own.

Since that time, I've read countless selfhelp books. Some of my personal favorites are...

> The Secret. Say what you want about Rhonda Bryne, but the concept behind the secret is actually quite useful if you think about it. It moves you to a positive state and helps you change your expectations.

> The How of Happiness. Even though I have never finished this (I should do that soon), I find this book really interesting because all of the material is supported by research in field of psychology. A lot of it is pretty new-found material and if you have an interest in positive psych, this is the book to read.

> The Attitude of Gratitude. Just helps keep you positive and upbeat. It's nice to read if you need help refocusing on the good things in life.

> How Full is Your Bucket? This book is basically fantastic because it helps you reevaluate how you treat people and how people treat you in the work world.

> Thrilled to Death. Truly awesome book about our current thrill seeking society and how that is impairing people from attaining true and enduring happiness.

> Goodbye to Guilt. I struggled with guilt for a long time, but this book actually really helped me to release this wasteful emotion.

> Write it Down, Make it Happen. A book guided off the LOA principal. Loved it. Truly changed my life.

> Live Your Dream Life. Nothing too amazing in the book, but a nice reinforcer. I read it at a crucial time in my life and it helped me to make a huge life-changing decision for the better.

I've been in this realm for 12 years now and generally speaking, I realized that

- You can get inspiration where the people that you meet, including your family, couldn't give you.

- Self-help books are always 'speaking' to you like a friend.

- Self-help/success/relationship/business/spirituality are synonymous

- at least 80% of them are junks and 20% good

- Amazon have a lot of fake 5 star raters

I've been in this realm for 12 years now and generally speaking, I realized that

- You can get inspiration where the people that you meet, including your family, couldn't give you.

- Self-help books are always 'speaking' to you like a friend.

- Self-help/success/relationship/business/spirituality are synonymous

- at least 80% of them are junks and 20% good

- Amazon have a lot of fake 5 star raters

couldn't agree more with that line. all aspects of overall 'happiness'...which seems to be the entire point of the self-help phenomenon. i think that's why i find the reads that are based on broad lifestyle themes to be the most satisfying.

I'll confess I'm addicted to them. And what makes it worse is when I log onto Amazon and they say, "based off your previous purchases, we think you might like these..." and they give you a line up of books. I look at them, and I'm think "OMG YOU'RE RIGHT! I would LOVE that BOOK!" heh. okay

So anyway, I'm reading The Magic of Thinking Big and I'm enjoying it so far.

What are you reading related to personal growth? or do you find those books a turn-off?

One of the reasons why I do not have a good impression about self-help books is because it eventually creates a dependency. The goal needs to be that you read a self-help book and apply the principles to your life or solve a problem and move on. However myself and a lot of people that I know end up reading one self-help book after another. I admit that it is such a joy to read one because it gives you the "high" of your life could be like this and that.

I have finally given up on self-help books.... I would rather think for myself and/or get advice from friends or family.

Always remember Yoda's wise saying: In theory, theory and practice are same. In practice they are not.

One of the reasons why I do not have a good impression about self-help books is because it eventually creates a dependency. The goal needs to be that you read a self-help book and apply the principles to your life or solve a problem and move on. However myself and a lot of people that I know end up reading one self-help book after another. I admit that it is such a joy to read one because it gives you the "high" of your life could be like this and that.

I have finally given up on self-help books.... I would rather think for myself and/or get advice from friends or family.

Always remember Yoda's wise saying: In theory, theory and practice are same. In practice they are not.

These books acts like synthetic mood booster sometimes. There are many junk self-help books around, and it's difficult to distinguish between which is actually helpful and which is bad. The worse ones are, in my opinion, ideas from one subject complicated into a book by an author that has no credentials to say any of it himself.

These books acts like synthetic mood booster sometimes. There are many junk self-help books around, and it's difficult to distinguish between which is actually helpful and which is bad. The worse ones are, in my opinion, ideas from one subject complicated into a book by an author that has no credentials to say any of it himself.

I see your point. At the same time, if you are a knowledgeable reader you can usually distinguish which information is noteworthy and not. I have a degree in Literature so I can read a billion self-help books, take the best information, and erase the rest from my mind.

I like that they are mood boosters. That's one reason why I read them. Because even if the mood isn't long-lasting it can help keep you motivated in your quest.

I see your point. At the same time, if you are a knowledgeable reader you can usually distinguish which information is noteworthy and not. I have a degree in Literature so I can read a billion self-help books, take the best information, and erase the rest from my mind.

I like that they are mood boosters. That's one reason why I read them. Because even if the mood isn't long-lasting it can help keep you motivated in your quest.

The New York Times bestseller usually recommend great books. I'd say the 20% good books I'm talking about are also what New York Times Bestseller recommends. So for those who couldn't discern the difference can rely on the New York Times Bestseller.

And then there are those extremely renown books I couldn't quite grasp the essence of such as Stephen Covey & Dale Carnagie's book.

I also know I couldn't fully understand Napoleon Hill either... It's so not meant to be for me. Might have to be in my 30s to finally understand some of it.

The New York Times bestseller usually recommend great books. I'd say the 20% good books I'm talking about are also what New York Times Bestseller recommends. So for those who couldn't discern the difference can rely on the New York Times Bestseller.

And then there are those extremely renown books I couldn't quite grasp the essence of such as Stephen Covey & Dale Carnagie's book.

I also know I couldn't fully understand Napoleon Hill either... It's so not meant to be for me. Might have to be in my 30s to finally understand some of it.

Yes, and I think sometimes it's not so much you can't grasp them as you don't really want to. I will let a book go in one ear and out the other if I'm not really interested in the material being presented.

I love this book:

link removed

I thought it was absolutely amazing and really helped when I was going through a period flailing around, wondering what I wanted to do with my life, feeling unhappy with the way things were going. I highly recommend it!

I just picked this one up at the library -I'm about 50 pages in but so far so good.

I used to read them, now I actually get help and well for the most part I'm better. I do like to read spritual books on universal laws that kind of thing. But alas I haven't read anything really interesting in a while, a few years. I'm kind of getting back into it though with a manifesting CD I just purchased. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can start creating my dreamlife.

Jetta

I checked this one out when she recommended it too. I'm going to buy it and read it since you two like it so much!

Addiction manifested right in front of our eyes. Wickedsunrise controlled her addiction by using the library.

Addiction manifested right in front of our eyes. Wickedsunrise controlled her addiction by using the library.

Haha yes. Well, I didn't think I'd need to read it more than once. I'm not reading it as a guide to life, but just using it to think about things differently. And I have out for 4 weeks, 8 weeks if I renew it. I think that's long enough!

Archived