Leaders vs. followers in the workplace

I know that many people aspire to become managers, VPs and the like one day, but others are perfectly content in maintaining subordinate status throughout their entire careers. Those in the latter group might place a premium on work/life balance, lack leadership skills or self-confidence, or do so for a number of reasons. Some are leaders, others simply prefer to take orders.

Which is your preference and why?

Some people are just not interested in the type of tasks that a managerial position entails. They might seek other ways to move up the ladder, like becoming an expert in a specific field. They definetly become saught out and I would not say that they are indefinetly "subordinates". They will be paid top dollars for their knowledge and are usually left to work independantly.

Some people are just not interested in the type of tasks that a managerial position entails. They might seek other ways to move up the ladder, like becoming an expert in a specific field. They definetly become saught out and I would not say that they are indefinetly "subordinates". They will be paid top dollars for their knowledge and are usually left to work independantly.

Lol, there's this guy in my group who has been here since the 70's. He's the expert on everything. No desire to supervise anyone. He just does his thing and nobody bugs him. I love the guy!

Lol, there's this guy in my group who has been here since the 70's. He's the expert on everything. No desire to supervise anyone. He just does his thing and nobody bugs him. I love the guy!

Yeah, I have one of those too here. At first I didn't understand why he didn't try to climb up the ladder, but he admitted he went to the interview and tried. He got bored half-way through the interview and just couldn't stand it anymore.

Managing people is not for everyone lol!

I act like a leader sometimes although I am nowhere near mgmt yet. I think my lack of confidence played in a major part in my not pursuing something higher however that will change soon.

It was suggested by mgmt that I start taking the needed classes and training as they feel I would be a great manager.

I am much more of a follower although I do have 1 direct report and have had a direct report for 3 years. I think that's perfect for me, able to superivse and manage 1 or 2 people, but not managing an entire department.

Being higher up = more headaches, more work, more accountababilty, more having to swallow the corporte BS. In my profession, you can make decent $$$ without being a leader type. Plus I just don't have the belief in myself to be a leader of a dept. If I'm the leader, we are all in trouble LOL!

I am a helper. I prefer to exert my influence quietly by being knowledgeable and helpful. That is the nature of my job. I work with people to make them and the programs they run look good. I am not interested in being a "leader" in the sense of managing people and being the head honcho. Too much politics in those kinds of positions, too much BS. You have to be a good politician to be in those upper positions and I am not interested in being a politician, I get more enjoyment out of doing my job and working with people in a helping role...you can be a leader that way by becoming an expert in what you do so that people come to you for your skills, advice and feedback...you quietly lead them to get the job done.

I know that many people aspire to become managers, VPs and the like one day, but others are perfectly content in maintaining subordinate status throughout their entire careers. Those in the latter group might place a premium on work/life balance, lack leadership skills or self-confidence, or do so for a number of reasons. Some are leaders, others simply prefer to take orders.

Which is your preference and why?

I think the way you divided this up into leaders vs followers does not tell you the true picture of what goes on in the workplace. Not being a manager who supervises others does not necessarily make someone a "follower" or that they want to have work/life balance etc. There are many people who are not in managerial positions who work hard and long hours and who take pride in the work they do. Many work behind the scenes to make their bosses look good. Many are indispensible to their bosses and are not simply "yes men" with no backbone. Many have thoughts and ideas and influence those around them. A follower might be the person who works 9:00-5:00 and is told exactly what to do and they do it. Leaders do not necessarily have to be in authoritative positions...leaders can work independently to take a project that is handed to them and go above and beyond expectations. A leader will be given a task and will be able to tackle it without constant guidance. A follower needs everything spelled out and will only do exactly what was spelled out.

Leaders in authority positions themselves have someone they answer to....so in a sense a leader is often a "follower" in that they have a boss or bosses who tell them what to do. Even CEO's have a Board of Directors that they must answer to. The world can't simply be divided into neat little packages of leaders and followers...there are so many grey areas.

Well, I'm not a leader. The one time I took a management position I hated it. I can be a follower....if the person who is leading isn't an idiot. If I don't respect the person who's leading, I don't make a very good follower, either.

Perhaps this is why I had to create my own job by starting my own business. The nature of my business is such that it's a one-person operation. I won't have any employees. If I had to have employees, I probably wouldn't be doing this, either.

leader, according to a "DiSC" assessment im the D personality. I hate being constrained and have a problem with authority so I think I strive to have higher level positions (yet, even at the highest position you can feel lots of push and strain from subordinates.)

leader, according to a "DiSC" assessment im the D personality. I hate being constrained and have a problem with authority so I think I strive to have higher level positions (yet, even at the highest position you can feel lots of push and strain from subordinates.)

Yes, but even in a higher position you will have to take orders from someone. Nobody is really completely their own boss. Even people who own their own business have to answer to clients..they have to keep clients happy or else they could find themselves without clients. Nobody is exempt from taking orders on the job.

Yes, but even in a higher position you will have to take orders from someone. Nobody is really completely their own boss. Even people who own their own business have to answer to clients..they have to keep clients happy or else they could find themselves without clients. Nobody is exempt from taking orders on the job.

Very true.

The difference is running my own business, I have the power to refuse to work for a client if they're really yanking my chain or if I really don't like something. Sure, I'll lose the money for that job, but I won't lose my job. That generally hasn't been the case when I've worked for different companies.

...oh, one other plus to my own business -- if I wanna work in my bathrobe and fuzzy bunny slippers, no one's gonna care.

If I wore fuzzy bunny slippers my dog wouldn't leave my feet alone!

Working for yourself has its pluses and minuses. The uncertainty of the income would be a bit too scary for me. I like knowing that I have a regular salary coming in even when some days are slow. However, with your own business, if things are going well you can make more money than if you are a salaried employee.

Archived