At 33 years old how much are you supposed to have in your Savings Account?

grymoire

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree. Especially with this part (also the hardest part):

It takes discipline, it takes cutting spending on credit cards, it takes getting a diet on buying stuff on credit or lay away. But it gets to be a sport instead of suffering.

I guess I already know where I am wasting my money -> Magazines, Clothes, Shoes, Colognes, Concerts, Eating Out (major).

I always thought a good rule of thumb was to have three months of living expenses in reserves, to cover you if you were suddenly unemployed. The idea is you should get back on your feet in three months.

I've saved about £5k over the last year - not much, but I feel like I've got a buffer.

I usually do my budget the moment I get paid; I 'allow' myself an amount per week for spending, the rest to bills, and then everything else goes into my savings account. I've finally paid off all debt, so that really helps.

I'm quite frugal - I take lunch in every day, and I usually do a weekly grocery order to be delibered, which has saved me a FORTUNE. Buying a crockpot has helped me to prepare some fabulous meals which I freeze.

I live in the UK, so taxes are quite high, but we have the NHS (free medical healthcare), so even if I were suddenly unemployed, I would get free prescriptions and health care, which is a bonus (I read a thread on here earlier about someone with horribly painful genital herpes could not afford the ointment to treat her - that made me so sad for her).

I think it's good to get in the habit of regularly saving (I came late to this!), and having some savings. I rent though, so that's not great. I don't own a car, so no expense there.

Interesting.

i'm 20 and have about 5000$ save up. i would have more but my spending habit is ridiculous. i'm getting a summer job to raise that up though. you should have at LEAST a few month's worth of rent/food money saved up because you never know what could happen tmr. trust me, i would know. i was homeless once. hah

I've saved about £5k over the last year - not much, but I feel like I've got a buffer.

That's actually admirable HP. 5k IS a large amount

I'm quite frugal - I take lunch in every day, and I usually do a weekly grocery order to be delibered, which has saved me a FORTUNE. Buying a crockpot has helped me to prepare some fabulous meals which I freeze.

This sounds very interesting. Having grocery delivered weekly. Wow. Do we have it here in the USA? and HP, what is a crockpot?

I live in the UK, so taxes are quite high

If you live in California you will say 'thank goodness i am in the UK'

really? this comes as a surprise to me. i always thought girls like guys that smell good

i do like guys who smell good. some nice deoderant is all that is needed most of the time. mitchum or something. i have a very sensitive nose--strong smells give me a headache. sometimes i'll be walking down the street and i can smell guys a half a block away. it's unattractive. i prefer natural scent (not to be confused with BO) to cologne. always.

We do like guys that smell good. We just think that strong smelling cologne doesn't smell good.

the only one that i can handle is givenchy Pi. anything else and i get nauseous and a headache.

Understandable. I wear my colognes very lightly.

I once tried a cologne that had human pheromones in it. And it gave me strong headaches

i think colognes are a waste of money, honestly. even a dab on the neck or wherever you're supposed to put it is too much for me sometimes. just get a nice deoderant and leave it at that!

grymoire--

A good way to start saving is to look at it as "paying yourself" before all the restaurants, stores, etc. take a chunk of your money. Your first priority should be to save up an emergency fund of six months of living expenses (in case of job loss). This could be in a savings account at a local bank, or even a bank like ING (google them).

Maybe start with between 5-10 % of each paycheck. Depending on your bank, you could even have the money automatically transferred, so you aren't tempted to spend it. Good luck, it really is comforting to have that "cushion" there.

another thing you can do is find a bank with a "keep the change" policy. what that is is when you use your debit card, any remaining change goes into your savings automatically--for example, if you spend $15.22 at a restaurant, they take $16 out of your check: $15.22 to the restaurant, 78 cents to your savings, and you deduct $16 from your balance. very good and easy way to save money if you use your debit card often. Bank of America does this but I think some other banks have jumped on the bandwagon about it too.

I am a 33 year old male.. been working from mid of 2003.

I consider myself as a spend thrift and not careful with money. My saving habits are very poor.

I am wondering how much a 33 yr old person usually has in their Savings Account? and/or any other accounts.

Thank you.

If you're working, they say to have at least a year's salary in your savings account.

grymoire--

A good way to start saving is to look at it as "paying yourself" before all the restaurants, stores, etc. take a chunk of your money. Your first priority should be to save up an emergency fund of six months of living expenses (in case of job loss). This could be in a savings account at a local bank, or even a bank like ING (google them).

Maybe start with between 5-10 % of each paycheck. Depending on your bank, you could even have the money automatically transferred, so you aren't tempted to spend it. Good luck, it really is comforting to have that "cushion" there.

ING.. that's right... i have heard good things about them. I bank with BOFA and they are not paying that much interest for my savings.

I agree about having a cushion amount.

another thing you can do is find a bank with a "keep the change" policy. what that is is when you use your debit card, any remaining change goes into your savings automatically--for example, if you spend $15.22 at a restaurant, they take $16 out of your check: $15.22 to the restaurant, 78 cents to your savings, and you deduct $16 from your balance. very good and easy way to save money if you use your debit card often. Bank of America does this but I think some other banks have jumped on the bandwagon about it too.

thanks Hers. i already have it. i have that one and an automatic transfer of $50 from my checking to savings acct.

you know what? i can actually increase from $50 to a higher amount and save a lot that way.

thanks Hers. i already have it. i have that one and an automatic transfer of $50 from my checking to savings acct.

you know what? i can actually increase from $50 to a higher amount and save a lot that way.

hm, if you're already doing this, is it helping? do you have any money at all saved up? or are you always taking money out of the savings account?

hm, if you're already doing this, is it helping? do you have any money at all saved up? or are you always taking money out of the savings account?

yes, i do have some money saved up (3k). but that is nowhere close to my friend's savings (20k).

and yes, i some times end up eating out of my savings acct.

yes, i do have some money saved up (3k). but that is nowhere close to my friend's savings (20k).

and yes, i some times end up eating out of my savings acct.

ok that's what you need to do. $3000 is good, at least in my mind (I don't know what your expenses are though). That'd last me 2 months. One thing you can do is open a savings account at a separate bank. No access to it form your normal bank. Decline an ATM card. That way it just sits there, accruing interest, and you can put money in there/take money out by physically going to the bank each paycheck or whenever. if you go to take money out, you'llhave more time to sit on what you're trying to buy and maybe change your mind.

i love magazines, but one thing that saves me a good amount of money each month is to go to the bookstore and read them. you can sit there for hours reading them and no one bothers you. you save $5 a magazine and you get to read it. bad for the magazine industry, yes, but good for your pocket. not to mention after you read it and have no idea what to do with it, it's just sitting there, wasting away. total waste of money to me. also doing this gets you out of the house and out in public, where maybe you can meet someone. complete win in my opinion!

ok that's what you need to do. $3000 is good, at least in my mind (I don't know what your expenses are though). That'd last me 2 months. One thing you can do is open a savings account at a separate bank. No access to it form your normal bank. Decline an ATM card. That way it just sits there, accruing interest, and you can put money in there/take money out by physically going to the bank each paycheck or whenever. if you go to take money out, you'llhave more time to sit on what you're trying to buy and maybe change your mind.

great idea... i am guessing i will increase the monthly $50 to $100 in my current savings acct. and then open a new savings acct. with ING. i could then transfer more money there and decline an ATM card so that i don't touch it all.

i love magazines, but one thing that saves me a good amount of money each month is to go to the bookstore and read them. you can sit there for hours reading them and no one bothers you. you save $5 a magazine and you get to read it. bad for the magazine industry, yes, but good for your pocket. not to mention after you read it and have no idea what to do with it, it's just sitting there, wasting away. total waste of money to me.

yup.. totally agree.... just a while ago i had a thread asking what to do with old magazines... it IS a waste once you read it.

Archived